Google Grupper har inte längre stöd för nya Usenet-inlägg eller -prenumerationer. Historiskt innehåll förblir synligt.

F3.1 CTRL+TAB

0 visningar

John Bird

oläst,
23 juli 2008 21:31:292008-07-23
till dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
I just found in V3.1 a different CTRL+TAB - it brings up a thumbnail of the
pages. Nice. The order it switches tabs mystifies me - it looks like it
goes through Tabs in the reverse order of viewed rather than sequentially.
I think its buggy though - it goes to unfamiliar tabs often all over the
place!. I hope there is a switch to tell it to behave the old way as
well.....

Personally I reckon keep CTRL+TAB behaving the old way, and make a different
key stroke for the new one, or make key strokes for the old behaviour.
CTRL+LeftArrow and CTRL+RightArrow would be good ones for the old
behaviour...

Also now there is a thumbnail showing at least 3 tabs, why can't I click on
the one I want?

(I presume this change is from Firefox - I also just reinstalled Google
Desktop in case it quietly altered Firefox too)

John Bird

John Bird

oläst,
23 juli 2008 21:31:292008-07-23
till dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/blogs/fleishman_on_hardware/148812/dns
_dot_bomb_update_your_nameservers.html

http://www.doxpara.com/

(The second is Dan Kaminsky - discoverer of the flaw - has a test on his
site that shows if your DNS is vulnerable. This implies that there is
something a browser also might be able to do)

Links above if you haven't read about this yet...

Now the exploit has been published and some half of ISP's in the world have
not yet updated their DNS software yet, have the techos at Mozilla started
to think of ways to detect hijacked IP addresses? I am guessing its an issue
similar to phishing.

I see security people are predicting exploits over the coming weeks to
redirect users to the wrong sites.

Now you could take the line that DNS name to IP address resolution problems
are outside the browser's concerns, but I am reckoning you can't do that.
The analogy is if someone drives a train, someone hijacks the points and
sends it down the wrong track, the driver is likely to say "The train should
have been able to warn me it was on the wrong track". That is they will
blame whatever vehicle they were travelling in if it went down the wrong
track even if it wasn't its fault because it did get fooled.

Just speculating - Maybe there may have to be an option to force the browser
into a "safe mode" to get two different DNS resolutions from different
sources to make sure they agree? (I am not sure of the issues here and the
security bulletins are being deliberately vague). The Kaminsky test implies
there are some things that can be done...

John Bird

David McRitchie

oläst,
23 juli 2008 23:20:532008-07-23
till
"John Bird" ...

> I just found in V3.1 a different CTRL+TAB - it brings up a thumbnail of the
> pages. Nice. The order it switches tabs mystifies me - it looks like it
> goes through Tabs in the reverse order of viewed rather than sequentially.
> I think its buggy though - it goes to unfamiliar tabs often all over the
> place!. I hope there is a switch to tell it to behave the old way as
> well.....

Not for me on Windows, do you have "Firefox ShowCase" extension installed.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1810

or perhaps "Ctrl-Tab" https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/5244

Mike Beltzner

oläst,
24 juli 2008 01:00:392008-07-24
till David McRitchie, dev-apps-firefox
This is in 3.1 nightlies, yes. Not in 3.0.1 though.

The order is supposed to be most recently viewed, just like alt-tab.
We are thinking of additional function like clicking on thumbnails or
pressing ctrl+w to close the one that's selected in the thumbnail view.

I don't think we want to create a new shortcut. Ctrl-tab is a sensible
mapping, though it might take a bit of getting used to. Ctrl-pgup and
pgdn move left to right.

cheers,
mike

On 23-Jul-08, at 11:20 PM, "David McRitchie"
<nos...@nospam.mozilla.org> wrote:

Archaeopteryx

oläst,
24 juli 2008 03:40:082008-07-24
till
For Ctrl-PageUp/Down, you will need both hands except you control the
mouse with the left hand. The jump to the last used tab is inintuitive
(user ask themselves: How do I get fast to the tab I see there, two tabs
right of the current one?)

Bye,
Archaeopteryx

Thomas Stache

oläst,
24 juli 2008 06:26:512008-07-24
till
Archaeopteryx wrote:
> For Ctrl-PageUp/Down, you will need both hands except you control the
> mouse with the left hand. The jump to the last used tab is unintuitive
> (user ask themselves: How do I get fast to the tab I see there, two tabs
> right of the current one?)

I tested Ctrl-Tab on Firefox 3.0, and must say that it will be *very* hard to
adapt to that. This is a fundamental change that should be verified in
usability testing, as was reportedly done with Google a couple of years back
(while Ben Goodger was at the helm). Saying "if you don't like it, try harder"
will not make for a good press.

I find it annoying that I hit Ctrl-Tab, and don't know how often I have to
press until the one tab I want shows up.

If you want to compare that feature with Alt-Tab, you should consider showing
a lot more tabs (maybe the all-tabs-panel), have keyboard navigation using
arrow keys (in two dimensions!), and much more obvious and clearer favicons.

Nick Aceves

oläst,
24 juli 2008 13:16:322008-07-24
till dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
I too am having trouble accepting the new Ctrl-Tab functionality. It feels
like a usability nightmare.

More tabs need to be shown, in my opinion. I find that I'm using
Ctrl-PgUp/PgDown much more than Ctrl-Tab... which is sad, because it
requires me to move my hands from the mouse to cycle through the tabs.

It just feels sort of useless. I can find the tab I want faster by just
cylcling through them. The tabs themselves seem to switch faster than their
thumbnail previews do. I tend to switch tabs quite a bit, and I hit the
buttons fairly quickly. When using Ctrl-Tab I find that I'm constantly
waiting for the thumbnail animation to catch up with me, whereas with
Ctrl-PgUp/PgDown (or the old Ctrl-Tab) I get instant feedback.

-Nick

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 3:26 AM, Thomas Stache <thomas...@gmx.net>
wrote:

John Bird

oläst,
24 juli 2008 20:54:042008-07-24
till dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
CTRL+PageUp and CTRL+PageDown are OK for moving left or right a tab.....how
about CTRL+LeftArrow and CTRL+RightArrow - these are not being used.

Also how about some clickable navigation buttons on the pop-up - eg: like
the browser forward/back buttons (for history) and maybe also some
left/right buttons. Having all four will present some interesting UI
challenges how to make them clear what they do.

One way would be to have four way arrows buttons, eg Left/Right to move to
adjacent tabs, and Up and Down to move to next and previously visited tabs.

And for those with lotsa tabs open how about a little search box - eg "Bank"
to list tabs with bank either in the URL or title.....or maybe that could be
added to the drop down list at the right of the tab bar to filter the list
(my drop down list is usually longer than the screen for instance)

This feature is rough at the moment but will become a great addition.

Note: The above keys don't seem to work while the pop-up thumbnails are
showing, that maybe could be fixed. Also CTRL+TAB while the pop-up is
showing does seem to return to the previous window - good, but CTRL+ShiftTab
seems to go somewhere random.

John Bird

dolphinling

oläst,
25 juli 2008 00:45:552008-07-25
till
John Bird wrote:
> And for those with lotsa tabs open how about a little search box - eg "Bank"
> to list tabs with bank either in the URL or title.....

There's an extension for that. Can't remember what it's called, but search
around. I've only heard one person talk about it, but they said it was useful.
--
dolphinling
<http://dolphinling.net/>

dolphinling

oläst,
25 juli 2008 00:51:462008-07-25
till
Archaeopteryx wrote:
> For Ctrl-PageUp/Down, you will need both hands except you control the
> mouse with the left hand. The jump to the last used tab is inintuitive
> (user ask themselves: How do I get fast to the tab I see there, two tabs
> right of the current one?)

This is exactly the issue I had, and why I disabled it
(browser.ctrlTab.mostRecentlyUsed false, if anyone didn't know).

Perhaps I didn't give it a fair shot, but I think that the old mode was just a
better solution to this problem, and the new mode only works in other
situations, like OS window tabbing. I'm happy to expand on why I think this if
anyone wants to hear it.

--
dolphinling
<http://dolphinling.net/>

Thomas Stache

oläst,
25 juli 2008 04:48:152008-07-25
till
John Bird wrote:
> CTRL+PageUp and CTRL+PageDown are OK for moving left or right a tab.....how
> about CTRL+LeftArrow and CTRL+RightArrow - these are not being used.

I'm against using keyboard shortcuts like these, as they work when focus is in
the location bar, an input or textfield control. Hence these shortcuts would
be modal - depending on other circumstances. (This already applies today to
the Cmd-Left/Right shortcuts on OS-X-Firefox.)

Thomas Stache

oläst,
25 juli 2008 05:08:302008-07-25
till

I'm against using keyboard shortcuts like these, as they *don't* work when

0 nya meddelanden