tabbed browsing change comments in m.feedback

Joe Hughes

Mar 25, 2006, 7:36:05 PM3/25/06
FYI, here's a very unscientific histogram of comments on m.feedback
about the new placement of the close tab button(s), based on all the
comments whose *subject* matched the word "tab" since 3/21.

(1) It's great: +++++
(2) Should only be on active tab: +++++
(3) Can't close tabs as quickly: +++++++
(4) Don't like it: ++++

For (2), I counted people who specifically suggested it, people who
complained about the visual noise/space of having close buttons on every
tab (when there are few enough tabs), and the people who said they
accidentally closed tabs when switching.

What I get from this is (1) that we might want to consider removing
close boxes from inactive tabs to cut down on people accidentally
closing tabs while trying to switch; and (2) there is at least some
audience for an extension to restore the tab to the right-hand-side.

.joe.

Mike Connor

Mar 25, 2006, 11:26:18 PM3/25/06
to dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
Yeah, its very very much a love/hate change. I think we already decided
to do active-only by default, per the varying discussions.

Though I haven't looked at how much work/code is involved, I think it'd
be interesting for at least alpha2/beta1 to implement
none/active/all/right side as UI-visible prefs, and see how many people
actually change the pref (possibly via the metrics system?). Depending
on the results, we can decide whether to drop some/all of the options,
and which behaviours users tend to stick with. I've been slammed for
suggesting that we look at this, even for testing, but hopefully the
initial feedback is at least useful to overcoming the opposition to that
plan...

-- Mike