Offering Namoroka l10n nightlies for downloads

Axel Hecht

Aug 24, 2009, 5:48:44 AM8/24/09

the l10n nightlies are working on Namoroka now, yeehaw.

And as with all great news, it opens more questions than answers :-).

Right now,
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-1.9.2-l10n/
is the only way to get to them. Ftp is fine in principle, that's all we
do for en-US, AFAICT. But on that page, we have a whoppin' 560 links,
with 8 links for each of our 70 locales.

I'd love to get a less error prone download path. I could see us do some
kind of all.html, but I don't know where to put it. ftp.m.o could be, or
www.m.o/projects/namoroka/, or l10n.mozilla.org/namoroka. Or something
completely different?

I surely would like something hackerish and quick that gives users
technically savvy enough a good way to get to the builds they want to
test. I'd like to at least hide the complexity of "which build do I need
for my platform?" and "what's my locale code?". Good would be some sugar
to allow l10n communities to directly link (aka #de), and if possibly a
div with potentially localized info on where to post feedback.

Not sure about the exposure here, and the disclaimer header etc.

Axel

Mike Shaver

Aug 31, 2009, 9:29:06 AM8/31/09
to Axel Hecht, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 5:48 AM, Axel Hecht<l1...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Right now,
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-1.9.2-l10n/
> is the only way to get to them. Ftp is fine in principle, that's all we do
> for en-US, AFAICT. But on that page, we have a whoppin' 560 links, with 8
> links for each of our 70 locales.

A couple of intrepid sorts are working on a sketch of a nightly page
to help people pick the stream of nightly they're interested in ("will
be 3.5.4", "will be 3.6 -- danger!", "will be 3.7 -- danger!" or some
such), at which point we'll have something better than just FTP to
point people at. Doing more l10n-satisfying things at that point will
be easier.

In the interim, I'd suggest moving the builds into a subdir per locale, I guess?

Mike

Axel Hecht

Aug 31, 2009, 10:01:00 AM8/31/09
to Chris Cooper
On 31.08.09 15:29, Mike Shaver wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 5:48 AM, Axel Hecht<l1...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> Right now,
>> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-1.9.2-l10n/
>> is the only way to get to them. Ftp is fine in principle, that's all we do
>> for en-US, AFAICT. But on that page, we have a whoppin' 560 links, with 8
>> links for each of our 70 locales.
>
> A couple of intrepid sorts are working on a sketch of a nightly page
> to help people pick the stream of nightly they're interested in ("will
> be 3.5.4", "will be 3.6 -- danger!", "will be 3.7 -- danger!" or some
> such), at which point we'll have something better than just FTP to
> point people at. Doing more l10n-satisfying things at that point will
> be easier.

Can I has bugzburger?

> In the interim, I'd suggest moving the builds into a subdir per locale, I guess?

I was thinking about that for a bit. I'm not sure how that'd affect our
nagios monitoring. Not that we're doing that yet, but we should check
all builds for their age, so that we don't loose updates to locales. Coop?

Axel

Chris Cooper

Aug 31, 2009, 10:56:55 AM8/31/09
to Axel Hecht, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
I'm not adverse to adding subdirs per locale if that's going to improve
build discoverability for people. What I don't want to do is special
case it for one branch.

If we're going to change the layout of the latest-* dirs, let's do it
across the board. That way both IT and releng don't have to maintain two
(or more sets) of scripts and crontabs.

cheers,
--
coop