Why Suggestions in search bar doesn't work for me?

NetOne

Oct 4, 2006, 12:08:46 PM10/4/06
I'm running the latest nightly build of Firefox 2.0. One thing that's
really annoying is that when I'm typing in the search bar, there are no
suggestions popuped no matter which search engine are selected.

It worked once a while with some early nightly builds. But it just
doesn't work now. Any configurations I've missed? The "Show
Suggestions" option is check in the context menu of the search bar.

Thanks in advance!

Axel Hecht

Oct 4, 2006, 12:32:16 PM10/4/06

You should mention which search engine you're trying, as it depends on that.

Axel

NetOne

Oct 4, 2006, 9:09:25 PM10/4/06
None of the search engine works. :(

On Oct 5, 12:32 am, Axel Hecht <l...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> NetOne wrote:
> > I'm running the latest nightly build of Firefox 2.0. One thing that's
> > really annoying is that when I'm typing in the search bar, there are no
> > suggestions popuped no matter which search engine are selected.
>
> > It worked once a while with some early nightly builds. But it just
> > doesn't work now. Any configurations I've missed? The "Show
> > Suggestions" option is check in the context menu of the search bar.
>

> > Thanks in advance!You should mention which search engine you're trying, as it depends on that.
>
> Axel

Axel Hecht

Oct 5, 2006, 6:13:47 AM10/5/06

Did you do any changes? Stuff that could have led to importing other
(maybe sherlock based) engines?

Apart from that, you can set browser.search.log and see the search
requests go out in the error console. 'getSubmission..', the results
just show that it does send stuff. There are no reports on the results,
though.

One thing that can influence you is, the timeout for suggest is 500ms,
and there is no pref to make that longer, so you may be hit by network
trouble.

Axel

NetOne

Oct 5, 2006, 10:27:58 AM10/5/06
Yeah, I've enabled the search log as you suggested and watched the
request out. So I think maybe it's the problem with the network
timeout, with which it seems there's little I can do. :(

Thanks anyway!

On Oct 5, 6:13 pm, Axel Hecht <l...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> NetOne wrote:
> > None of the search engine works. :(

> >> AxelDid you do any changes? Stuff that could have led to importing other

NetOne

Oct 5, 2006, 10:54:38 AM10/5/06
I input the URL extracted from Google.xml in the search plugin
directory for suggest query, like this:

http://suggestqueries.google.com/complete/search?output=firefox&client=firefox&qu=goog

and got the following response:

Server Error
The service you requested is not available yet.

Please try again in 30 seconds.

But if I visit the previous URL through PHProxy.org, I got this:
["goog",["google","google.com","google toolbar","google maps","google
scholar","google mail","google tool bar","google map","google
uk","google email"]]

It seems Google Suggest is restricted for my direct visiting. But I do
get suggestions when visit the Google Suggest web page by:
http://labs.google.com/suggest

Any clue? Thanks!

On Oct 5, 6:13 pm, Axel Hecht <l...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> NetOne wrote:
> > None of the search engine works. :(

> >> AxelDid you do any changes? Stuff that could have led to importing other

NetOne

Oct 5, 2006, 11:05:21 AM10/5/06
Things become more interesting.

With Yahoo, I can get the results back if I visit the suggest URL
directly, like this:

http://ff.search.yahoo.com/gossip?output=fxjson&command=goog

I can get:

["goog",["google","google search","google map search","google video
search","google earth","google digital earth globe","google global
earth","google maps","google world maps","google world maps
zoom"],[],[]]

But there are still no suggestions in search bar when I choose Yahoo as
the search engine.

On Oct 5, 10:54 pm, "NetOne" <net...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I input the URL extracted from Google.xml in the search plugin
> directory for suggest query, like this:
>

> http://suggestqueries.google.com/complete/search?output=firefox&clien...

Axel Hecht

Oct 5, 2006, 11:50:10 AM10/5/06
If I may ask, in which God-forgotten part of the world are you in?

The google problem sounds like a datacenter you're using due to
geo-location doesn't serve you well. This may be a problem worthwhile
reporting back to google for us.

As for yahoo, you may timeout for real, I experienced that problem when
testing the Asian plugins, which use servers over there, which are just
too far away from me in Berlin.

Axel

NetOne

Oct 5, 2006, 12:00:07 PM10/5/06
I'm in China. (I didn't mention it in the last post to avoid some
misunderstanding, since we all know the network surveillance problem
here. But I still have to say that the situation is NOT as bad as you
might imagine.) I agree that we should report this to Google.

And for Yahoo, after a lot of trying, I got suggestions work for
several times. So I think it's the timeout problem.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all your kindly help!

Axel Hecht

Oct 5, 2006, 5:46:27 PM10/5/06
NetOne wrote:
> I'm in China. (I didn't mention it in the last post to avoid some
> misunderstanding, since we all know the network surveillance problem
> here. But I still have to say that the situation is NOT as bad as you
> might imagine.) I agree that we should report this to Google.
>
> And for Yahoo, after a lot of trying, I got suggestions work for
> several times. So I think it's the timeout problem.
>
> Anyway, thanks a lot for all your kindly help!

Thanks for your input. In terms of Google, it's on the radar, but
there's no ETA.

As for yahoo, we only have a few locales that actually have localized
datasets from yahoo. For most others, we use the en-US suggest, which
may or may not have performance problems, due to the different
datacenter structuring that Yahoo uses (compared to Google).

We'll see how it goes, but I can imagine that China could be critical
connection-wise.

If the experience turns out to be too random in terms of works, or
doesn't work, I'd appreciate a bug report, and CC me? It might be
worthwhile to either get it fixed, or consistently removed.

Axel