IE7 RSS Reader Better - Say Reviewers

Peter Lairo

Oct 19, 2006, 10:29:21 AM10/19/06
I *knew* this was not going to go unnoticed:

"Both browsers will have built-in RSS readers, but Microsoft's performs
better by rendering feeds in a more user-friendly way..."
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=CWQUKGZD4FHMWQSNDLPSKHSCJUNN2JVN?articleID=193302738&pgno=3&queryText=

I hope mozilla.org will *soon* improve Firefox's feed reader - e.g., by
integrating Sage (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/77/).
--
Regards,

Peter Lairo

Lame attempt to get rich: http://www.lairo.com/donations.html

RAV

Oct 19, 2006, 1:09:52 PM10/19/06
Peter Lairo wrote:
> I *knew* this was not going to go unnoticed:
>
> "Both browsers will have built-in RSS readers, but Microsoft's performs
> better by rendering feeds in a more user-friendly way..."
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=CWQUKGZD4FHMWQSNDLPSKHSCJUNN2JVN?articleID=193302738&pgno=3&queryText=
>

> I hope mozilla.org will *soon* improve Firefox's feed reader - e.g., by
> integrating Sage (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/77/).

In the sidebar to the article, it says "IE7 makes it easier on Web
developers by complying more thoroughly with World Wide Web Consortium
standards like CSS and DOM." /More/ compliant?!?

Peter Lairo

Oct 19, 2006, 1:43:58 PM10/19/06
RAV wrote on 19.10.2006 19:09:
> In the sidebar to the article, it says "IE7 makes it easier on Web
> developers by complying more thoroughly with World Wide Web Consortium
> standards like CSS and DOM." /More/ compliant?!?

...than the previous version of IE? ;-)

Now, back to a better feed reader for Firefox...

Sailfish

Oct 19, 2006, 3:30:29 PM10/19/06
Peter Lairo wrote:
> I *knew* this was not going to go unnoticed:
>
> "Both browsers will have built-in RSS readers, but Microsoft's performs
> better by rendering feeds in a more user-friendly way..."
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=CWQUKGZD4FHMWQSNDLPSKHSCJUNN2JVN?articleID=193302738&pgno=3&queryText=
>

> I hope mozilla.org will *soon* improve Firefox's feed reader - e.g., by
> integrating Sage (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/77/).

Actually, I like Maxthon's RSS capability more than either Fx or IE7
(YES, I know Maxthon is an IE-clone.) One of its nicest feature is that
I'm able to see each feed item's description simply by hovering over the
item in the sidebar (it pops up a balloon with the description in it.)
I've not been able to get Fx to display the information in the
description tags at all. This is too bad since most of the time the
item's headline link is just too short for me to determine whether I
want to waste my time openning the page; whereas, the description field
includes enough information for me to easily make the determination,
picture link below:

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/129/maxthonrssfo5.png

--
Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/
About Mozilla: http://www.mozilla.com/

Sailfish

Oct 19, 2006, 3:34:15 PM10/19/06
Sailfish wrote:
> Peter Lairo wrote:
>> I *knew* this was not going to go unnoticed:
>>
>> "Both browsers will have built-in RSS readers, but Microsoft's
>> performs better by rendering feeds in a more user-friendly way..."
>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=CWQUKGZD4FHMWQSNDLPSKHSCJUNN2JVN?articleID=193302738&pgno=3&queryText=
>>

>> I hope mozilla.org will *soon* improve Firefox's feed reader - e.g.,
>> by integrating Sage (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/77/).
>
> Actually, I like Maxthon's RSS capability more than either Fx or IE7
> (YES, I know Maxthon is an IE-clone.) One of its nicest feature is that
> I'm able to see each feed item's description simply by hovering over the
> item in the sidebar (it pops up a balloon with the description in it.)
> I've not been able to get Fx to display the information in the
> description tags at all. This is too bad since most of the time the
> item's headline link is just too short for me to determine whether I
> want to waste my time openning the page; whereas, the description field
> includes enough information for me to easily make the determination,
> picture link below:
>
> http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/129/maxthonrssfo5.png

Opps! Thumbnail above isn't much good:

http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maxthonrssfo5.png

Chris Ilias

Oct 19, 2006, 4:00:21 PM10/19/06
_Peter Lairo_ spoke thusly on 19/10/2006 10:29 AM:

> I hope mozilla.org will *soon* improve Firefox's feed reader - e.g., by
> integrating Sage (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/77/).

I'm also a Sage user, but when it comes to what should be built in to
Firefox, I have trouble forming an opinion, because I don't know the
answer to the following question:
To what extent should a web browser be a feed reader? Should a feed
reader be a third party application, or a feature in web browsers?
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

Eric Shepherd

Oct 19, 2006, 4:14:53 PM10/19/06
to Chris Ilias, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
My personal feeling, which is of course only moderately relevant to
the extent that I use web browsers, so my opinion is one of the
millions of people whose opinions matter a tiny little bit, is that
web browsers shouldn't be feed readers but should provide
technologies enabling the easy production of feed readers.

But that's just me. :)

Eric Shepherd
Developer Documentation Lead
she...@mozilla.com

Robert Sayre

Oct 19, 2006, 5:26:48 PM10/19/06
to Peter Lairo
Peter Lairo wrote:
> I *knew* this was not going to go unnoticed:
>
> "Both browsers will have built-in RSS readers, but Microsoft's performs
> better by rendering feeds in a more user-friendly way..."
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=CWQUKGZD4FHMWQSNDLPSKHSCJUNN2JVN?articleID=193302738&pgno=3&queryText=

Hi guys,

Thanks for the input. I agree that there are improvements that need to
be made.

However, the reviewers seem to miss that IE7's preview is missing some
features compared to us. For example, Bloglines had to write an
extension to allow subscribing within IE.
<http://www.bloglines.com/about/news>

Even sites that don't come by default can be added with one line of
JavaScript. Here is my example, adding Newsgator.com as a reader:

<http://www.franklinmint.fm/blog/archives/000884.html>

-Rob

Peter Lairo

Oct 20, 2006, 12:45:46 PM10/20/06
Chris Ilias said on 19.10.2006 22:00:

> _Peter Lairo_ spoke thusly on 19/10/2006 10:29 AM:
>> I hope mozilla.org will *soon* improve Firefox's feed reader
>
> To what extent should a web browser be a feed reader?

A feed is part of the "web", even more so than, say, flash, videos,
microsummaries, and all the other stuff that is becoming normal expected
features of the "web". Also, more-and-more "normal" users are going to
expect it to work "out of the box" (most will not install an extension,
but choose a browser where it "just works").

--
Regards,

Peter Lairo

The browser you can trust: www.GetFirefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox: www.GetThunderbird.com

Peter Kasting

Oct 20, 2006, 1:10:04 PM10/20/06
to Peter Lairo, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
Peter Lairo wrote:
> Chris Ilias said on 19.10.2006 22:00:
>> _Peter Lairo_ spoke thusly on 19/10/2006 10:29 AM:
>>> I hope mozilla.org will *soon* improve Firefox's feed reader
>>
>> To what extent should a web browser be a feed reader?
>
> A feed is part of the "web", even more so than, say, flash, videos,
> microsummaries, and all the other stuff that is becoming normal expected
> features of the "web". Also, more-and-more "normal" users are going to
> expect it to work "out of the box" (most will not install an extension,
> but choose a browser where it "just works").

Plenty of page-based readers (NetVibes, Google Reader, etc.) "just work"
already, and much better than either the IE7 or Firefox implementations.

It is IMO a waste of effort to try and solve all problems for everybody,
and the easiest problems to throw over the side are those where a web
page can do your job at least as effectively as you can. Firefox should
make it possible for content creators to build great feed
aggregators/readers, and for people to discover feeds and send them to
those readers. Implementing a full-blown reader in the chrome is a
waste of effort as far as I'm concerned.

(This argument also extends to other areas where doing something
within-chrome brings few inherent advantages over doing it in content.)

PK

Peter Lairo

Oct 20, 2006, 3:45:57 PM10/20/06
Peter Kasting said on 20.10.2006 19:10:

> Peter Lairo wrote:
>> Chris Ilias said on 19.10.2006 22:00:
>>> _Peter Lairo_ spoke thusly on 19/10/2006 10:29 AM:
>>>
>>> To what extent should a web browser be a feed reader?
>>
>> A feed is part of the "web", even more so than, say, flash, videos,
>> microsummaries, and all the other stuff that is becoming normal
>> expected features of the "web". Also, more-and-more "normal" users are
>> going to expect it to work "out of the box" (most will not install an
>> extension, but choose a browser where it "just works").
>
> Plenty of page-based readers (NetVibes, Google Reader, etc.) "just work"
> already, and much better than either the IE7 or Firefox implementations.

No offense Mr. @google.com (I love Google), but Google Reader doesn't
"just work", and it's significantly worse than Sage, IMO.

> It is IMO a waste of effort to try and solve all problems for everybody,

Here's another exaggeration: It's just *one* problem, for *me*. ;-)

> and the easiest problems to throw over the side are those where a web
> page can do your job at least as effectively as you can.

I know Google would love to push web-based apps to replace rich clients,
but it just isn't there (yet) - definetely not compared to Sage.

> Firefox should
> make it possible for content creators to build great feed
> aggregators/readers,

Firefox already does. They're called extensions (or did I misunderstand
something?)

> and for people to discover feeds and send them to
> those readers. Implementing a full-blown reader in the chrome is a
> waste of effort as far as I'm concerned.

I doubt most non-geek users will find some obscure URL-based feedreader.
They will discover the orange icon, and the UI it could lead to.

> (This argument also extends to other areas where doing something
> within-chrome brings few inherent advantages over doing it in content.)

Good argument. I just disagree in this case. IE7 is *already* beating us
in too many areas(1) - and they only just recently started playing
catch-up. :-(

(1)
o better printing
o better bookmark handling
o better page zooming
o better feed support!!!

YMMV

Peter Kasting

Oct 20, 2006, 4:17:08 PM10/20/06
Peter Lairo wrote:
> I know Google would love to push web-based apps to replace rich clients,
> but it just isn't there (yet) - definetely not compared to Sage.

As a former Sage user, I'm a bit incredulous that you view Sage so
highly compared to many of the different standalone and web-based
readers out there, but that's a bit immaterial to my argument.

The point I was attempting to make was not that a particular web page
already is a better reader than we could hope to make. Rather, what I
was getting at is that there is very little about the problem of reading
feeds that is inherently better suited to being solved in the chrome
than in the content. Feed discovery is an example of an exception to this.

In general, I believe that Firefox should do what web pages cannot, and
should enable the pages to do everything else. There are hundreds of
millions of people out there who can improve the web platform a lot
faster than a few dozen engineers can improve the Firefox browser, so we
should enable their work, not (effectively) compete with it.

>> Firefox should make it possible for content creators to build great
>> feed aggregators/readers,
>
> Firefox already does. They're called extensions (or did I misunderstand
> something?)

I was referring more to having the speed, memory footprint, and web
technology support needed to build great readers (or anything else) as
web content.

>> and for people to discover feeds and send them to those readers.
>

> I doubt most non-geek users will find some obscure URL-based feedreader.
> They will discover the orange icon, and the UI it could lead to.

Which is why in Firefox 2 this UI allows you to send feeds to particular
readers, using app titles rather than cryptic URLs. This is what I was
referring to.

(Though, in general, your argument is an argument against any web-based
content over having the functionality in the browser chrome. The fact
that a reader exists online doesn't by definition make it "obscure", and
having a UI that is less obscure than visiting a page needs to be
balanced against other tradeoffs.)

> Good argument. I just disagree in this case. IE7 is *already* beating us
> in too many areas(1) - and they only just recently started playing
> catch-up. :-(

The fact that IE does some things better than Firefox is orthogonal to
whether we should invest the time and engineering to create a good feed
reader inside Firefox.

PK