Selected Tab looks too close to unselected tab

Alex Dread

Oct 10, 2006, 8:20:54 AM10/10/06
Is there anywhere with FireFox 2.0 RC2 that I can make selected tabs
stick out more? I'd rather have them be solid white, or a solid
color. It's hard for me to tell which tab is selected.

Martijn

Oct 10, 2006, 9:11:07 AM10/10/06
to Alex Dread, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
See http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#app_tab
Actually, I think there is also a colored tab extension, and there
could be more extensions/themes lurking out there that do the same.

I think it has become better with Firefox2, compared to Firefox1.5,
but still not ideal. I think there is still a bit too little of a
difference between an selected and an unselected tab.

Regards,
Martijn

Jesper Kristensen

Oct 10, 2006, 9:28:41 AM10/10/06
Martijn wrote:
> I think it has become better with Firefox2, compared to Firefox1.5,
> but still not ideal. I think there is still a bit too little of a
> difference between an selected and an unselected tab.

Better or worse - that depends on the OS theme. In the Windows XP default
theme, there is less difference between the selected tab and background tabs
in Firefox 2, than in Firefox 1.5. Also there is no or very little hover
effect on the new toolbar endcaps in the new theme, and that makes them look
unclickable. I think the new theme is better from a designers point of view,
but worse from a functional point of view.

Martijn

Oct 10, 2006, 10:05:35 AM10/10/06
to Jesper Kristensen, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
On 10/10/06, Jesper Kristensen <moz...@jesperkristensen.dk> wrote:
> Better or worse - that depends on the OS theme. In the Windows XP default
> theme, there is less difference between the selected tab and background tabs
> in Firefox 2, than in Firefox 1.5. Also there is no or very little hover
> effect on the new toolbar endcaps in the new theme, and that makes them look
> unclickable. I think the new theme is better from a designers point of view,
> but worse from a functional point of view.

Ah, ok, I use the old windows 2000 theme by default.

Regards,
Martijn

Alex Dread

Oct 10, 2006, 11:39:20 AM10/10/06
> Martijn wrote:
> Better or worse - that depends on the OS theme.

Okay. So, is there something in my OS I can change to make the
selected tabs more visible? If they want to integrate it closer to
the OS, that's fine. I'm okay with changing things just for me. Is
this something I can fix myself by modifying an accessibility setting,
or do I have to beg for somebody to write a firefox extension so I can
read the tabs/see what is selected?

Jesper Kristensen

Oct 10, 2006, 12:04:23 PM10/10/06

Actually, i think it was OS dependent before, but not anymore. I don't know
of any way to change it other than installing another theme.

RAV

Oct 10, 2006, 2:08:54 PM10/10/06

I may be out of my league suggesting this, and I don't even have FF 2.0
(still using 1.5.0.7). But I asked a similar question a while ago and
was given some entries to add to a file called "userChrome.css" in the
"Chrome" subdirectory off of the main directory for my profile. It
definitely helped me see the active tab more easily. It makes the
caption for the active tab bold blue and deemphasizes the other tabs.
Below is what I added to that file (actually, I had to create it first).
Hope this helps. p

/* Change color of active tab */
tab{
-moz-appearance: none !important;
}
tab[selected="true"] {
background-color: rgb(222,218,210) !important;
color: blue !important;
}

/* Change color of normal tabs */
tab:not([selected="true"]) {
background-color: rgb(200,196,188) !important;
// color: gray !important;
}