talkback in firefox

John J Barton

Oct 8, 2007, 1:10:22 PM10/8/07
On the Firebug newsgroup a number of people are reporting Firefox
crashing but they don't seem to have talkback installed. The link from
Firefox->Tools->Addons->Get Extensions has a search feature, but
"talkback" is not found.

How can Firefox users install or activate talkback?

Thanks,
John

Benjamin Smedberg

Oct 8, 2007, 1:31:27 PM10/8/07

They need to re-run the Firefox installer, choose the custom install option,
and choose talkback. Talkback is not available as a separate extension.

--BDS

John J Barton

Oct 8, 2007, 1:41:48 PM10/8/07

Thanks. Is there an effective way to communicate to the person who
decides to make talkback and dom-inspector custom-install-only
extensions that this approach is not a good design? If these are
extensions then they should be installable as extensions. If they are
not, they should be installed by default. Forcing people to reinstall to
add extensions is so 1990's.

John

Mike Beltzner

Oct 8, 2007, 1:48:31 PM10/8/07
to John J Barton, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
On 8-Oct-07, at 1:41 PM, John J Barton wrote:

> Thanks. Is there an effective way to communicate to the person who
> decides to make talkback and dom-inspector custom-install-only
> extensions that this approach is not a good design? If these are
> extensions then they should be installable as extensions. If they are
> not, they should be installed by default. Forcing people to
> reinstall to
> add extensions is so 1990's.

Consider it communicated! We're hoping to get away from this approach
in Firefox 3, at least with DOMI, but I'm not sure about the
feasibility of offering Breakpad as a standalone extension. I'll look
into it, though.

cheers,
mike

Benjamin Smedberg

Oct 8, 2007, 1:51:59 PM10/8/07
John J Barton wrote:

> Thanks. Is there an effective way to communicate to the person who
> decides to make talkback and dom-inspector custom-install-only
> extensions that this approach is not a good design? If these are
> extensions then they should be installable as extensions. If they are
> not, they should be installed by default. Forcing people to reinstall to
> add extensions is so 1990's.

You'll note that these will both be fixed in FF3 by making the crash
reporter part of the core install and removing DOMI from the default install
and making it an extension all the time.

I believe that DOMI is available from addons.mozilla.org, and if it's not
there are certainly bugs to do so. Talkback cannot be made available as a
real extension for technical legacy reasons.

--BDS

Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla

Oct 8, 2007, 2:31:23 PM10/8/07
Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
> John J Barton wrote:
>
>> Thanks. Is there an effective way to communicate to the person who
>> decides to make talkback and dom-inspector custom-install-only
>> extensions that this approach is not a good design? If these are
>> extensions then they should be installable as extensions. If they are
>> not, they should be installed by default. Forcing people to reinstall to
>> add extensions is so 1990's.

"Talkback cannot be made available as a real extension for technical
legacy reasons.

Someone should install twice and look for the different files, that's
all this person needs to do, right?

--
Michael Vincent van Rantwijk
- MultiZilla Project Team Lead