Re: Firefox trunk and rc1 slowdown using tabs

Peter Weilbacher

Sep 30, 2006, 12:44:27 PM9/30/06
[Xpost didn't work the first time]

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 08:36:01 UTC, "Walter Meinl" wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
>
> > If they are using a transparent png in the new theme that will produce
> > the high CPU load on OS/2
>
> Ok, that could be an explanation, the trunk got slow after the
> introduction of the new theme. The branch build was fast until 2 or 3
> days before they closed the tree for rc1 preparation. They updated alot
> of things for the new theme in this time.

Yes, and it sucks indeed (at least in my build). The tab-middle*.png
graphics with alpha-transparency used to make the tabs shine use CPU big
time to display on OS/2. I guess this forces us to fork browser.css,
too, for OS/2. I filed bug 354955 about it.

I just hope that this doesn't cause other theme designers to follow
this... I better crosspost this for a wider audience.
--
Please Unofficial builds: http://weilbacher.org/Mozilla/builds.html
reply in (reload the _frame_ for the current version of the page)