Firefox module owner change

Mike Shaver

Sep 29, 2011, 12:32:22 PM9/29/11
to dev-apps-firefox
N months ago, Mike Connor stepped down as Firefox module owner, and I
took over. Since that time, Firefox has seen a ton of great work done,
for which I can take very very little credit. I have managed the module
in a pretty hands-off fashion, mostly because it had great peers and
contributors and was headed directly towards the success of the Firefox
4 release. (At times I was *too* hands-off, and for some periods
Firefox progress suffered due to review bandwidth.)

While being an employee of Mozilla is by no means a necessity for module
ownership in Mozilla, the Firefox module is so critical and so active
that it really deserves the attention of someone who can spend 8(+)
hours a day thinking, watching, and living Firefox.

To that end, Gavin Sharp will take over as module owner of Firefox,
effective immediately. Firefox is going to see a ton of architectural
investment in the coming months (electrolysis, among other pieces), and
Gavin is the ideal person to provide leadership during this voyage. He
has grown from a random student contributor to one of Mozilla's leaders,
and I know he'll do a great job guiding Firefox.

Please join me in congratulating Gavin!

Mike

Johnathan Nightingale

Sep 29, 2011, 12:38:28 PM9/29/11
to Mike Shaver, dev-apps-firefox
On 2011-09-29, at 12:32 PM, Mike Shaver wrote:

> To that end, Gavin Sharp will take over as module owner of Firefox,
> effective immediately. Firefox is going to see a ton of architectural
> investment in the coming months (electrolysis, among other pieces), and
> Gavin is the ideal person to provide leadership during this voyage. He
> has grown from a random student contributor to one of Mozilla's leaders,
> and I know he'll do a great job guiding Firefox.
>
> Please join me in congratulating Gavin!

I'm really excited to see Gavin taking on this role. No one knows the Firefox front end code better[1]. I've always found him to be deliberate and balanced without shying from having an opinion. He's got the respect of his peers in the module and the community at large.

But while we're thanking people, let's also thank Mike for conning the ship and handing it off in good shape.

Congratulations and thanks,

[1] http://quotes.burntelectrons.org/2157

---
Johnathan Nightingale
Director of Firefox Engineering
joh...@mozilla.com

Rob Campbell

Sep 29, 2011, 12:41:39 PM9/29/11
to Johnathan Nightingale, dev-apps-firefox, Mike Shaver
WOO!

Congratulations, Gavin! Well-deserved.

~ rob

Ehsan Akhgari

Sep 29, 2011, 12:47:04 PM9/29/11
to Rob Campbell, dev-apps-firefox, Johnathan Nightingale, Mike Shaver
I don't usually hop on these thank-you threads by replying to all, but let
me break my rule this time. I'd like to thank Mike for being the Module
Owner of Firefox so far, and I would like to congratulate Gavin for taking
over his role.

We all know that being a Module Owner is more about responsibilities, but I
think this goes a long way to recognize everything that Gavin has done for
Firefox. Well deserved!

--
Ehsan
<http://ehsanakhgari.org/>

Justin Dolske

Sep 30, 2011, 12:18:13 AM9/30/11
On 9/29/11 9:32 AM, Mike Shaver wrote:

> To that end, Gavin Sharp will take over as module owner of Firefox,
> effective immediately. Firefox is going to see a ton of architectural
> investment in the coming months (electrolysis, among other pieces), and
> Gavin is the ideal person to provide leadership during this voyage. He
> has grown from a random student contributor to one of Mozilla's leaders,
> and I know he'll do a great job guiding Firefox.

Indeed. I can't think of anyone with such a broad knowledge of the
Firefox code, and taking the MO reins is more than earned. #gavinfacts

Justin