tabsets and windows

Mike Shaver

Aug 16, 2010, 10:48:24 AM8/16/10
to dev-apps-firefox
Loving tab sets, even with the rough edges!

My humble offering on the semantics of tab sets and multiple windows:

- each window is a tab set (as it basically is today, including being
able to move tabs betwixt them)
- from the tab sets view, the user can open pick any tab set
- if the one she picks is already open in another window, we raise it
(like switch-to-tab)
- recently-closed windows =~ recently-closed tab sets
- windows from other computers =~ tab sets from other computers

Do with this what you will, O tab sculptors!

Mike

Mike Beltzner

Aug 16, 2010, 12:08:33 PM8/16/10
to Ehsan Akhgari, dev-apps-firefox, Mike Shaver
On 2010-08-16, at 12:05 PM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:

> Unless I'm missing something here, this proposal does not address how we
> can have several groups per window. Don't we want to have several
> groups/sets in a single window?

Interpret the first point as "each tab set is tied to a window" allowing a many-to-one relationship.

cheers,
mike

Christopher Blizzard

Aug 16, 2010, 12:20:48 PM8/16/10
to Mike Beltzner, Ehsan Akhgari, dev-apps-firefox, Mike Shaver
I kind of want "all tab sets are available in all windows" with the
raising behaviour that shaver suggested. It's one of my few points of
frustration with tab sets.

Bob Clary

Aug 16, 2010, 12:46:06 PM8/16/10

I would very much like a visual indicator that a window has a set of tab
sets defined. Perhaps the tab set icon could change color?

If I have several windows open (often on different desktops) I sometimes
will close a window that contains a set of tab sets without realizing
it. I suppose this would not be an issue if the tab sets were available
from any window.

Aza Raskin

Aug 16, 2010, 8:43:52 PM8/16/10
Hey All,

Thanks for the feedback!

On Aug 16, 7:48 am, Mike Shaver <mike.sha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Loving tab sets, even with the rough edges!

The team has been pouncing on all of those rough edges, should be much
better even in tonight's nightly.

> - each window is a tab set (as it basically is today, including being
> able to move tabs betwixt them)

Although not in time for beta 4, our goal is to have all tabs from all
windows show up in Tab Candy. This way we don't end up with a
ridiculous window>groups>tab hierarchy which you have to wade through
to find the tab you are looking for. This should make it in for final.

> - from the tab sets view, the user can open pick any tab set

Not sure I understand this one.

> - if the one she picks is already open in another window, we raise it
> (like switch-to-tab)

Yep!

> - recently-closed windows =~ recently-closed tab sets
> - windows from other computers =~ tab sets from other computers

These two have been on our list for a long time; don't know if we'll
get there before code freeze, however :/