Driving 0.8

Daniel Boelzle

Oct 29, 2007, 8:18:07 AM10/29/07
to dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi,

we've finally figured out who'll drive the next release and how.

The next release, namely 0.8, will be driven by Simon, Clint and Daniel.
A small group like this assures short response times to inquiries. We'll
stay in close contact with one another to decide what we want for 0.8.

Tracking the next release, we will mainly use the wanted-calendar0.8
flag. That flag indicates what we want for 0.8. We're most eager to find
volunteers picking those bugs, so if you're bored, pick one of those and
make us happy!

If you want to propose a bug for 0.8, set wanted-calendar0.8?. The
release drivers will constantly scan those proposals and decide on them,
either by setting the wanted-calendar0.8+ or wanted-calendar0.8- flag.
A denied flag doesn't mean that a bug is not important, but we have to
stay focussed and use the few resources we have efficiently.

On our way towards 0.8, we will identify what bugs are really blocking.
On those bugs the release drivers will set the blocking-calendar0.8+
flag. It's mandatory to find a responsible bug assignee for these bugs
as soon as possible so we don't put the release schedule in danger.

Similar to the wanted-flag handling, the release drivers will
periodically scan the blocking-calendar0.8? proposals. If you think a
bug is a serious deal-breaker for the 0.8 release, then propose it by
setting blocking-calendar0.8?.

Please remember that the blocking-flag is reserved for really serious
bugs that have no viable workaround. Examples for blockers are:

- application crashes
- serious dataloss bugs, e.g. remote calendar files getting truncated
- bugs that prevent users from using the app, e.g. multiweek no longer
showing any events
- major feature implementations that are scheduled for 0.8
(e.g. foreign timezone support)

The blocking-flag should not be used for personal favourites, small bugs
and polish issues. Please use the wanted-flag to draw attention to these
bugs.

Regarding the bigger picture, we decided to use the target milestone
field which gives bug readers an indication when a bug or enhancement is
expected to come. We will put all roadmap items into bugs over the next
month [1].

First action for us is to get over all proposed and denied
blocking-calendar0.7 bugs ([2] and [3]), deciding which ones we want for
0.8. We've prepared some queries and a *rough* schedule [4].

We hope this clarifies the handling and keeps us on track.
So let's go for 0.8!

regards,
Simon, Clint and Daniel

[1]
<http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Roadmap#Roadmap_Bugs>
[2]
<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?cmdtype=runnamed&namedcmd=Proposed%20Blocker%20Bugs%200.7>
[3]
<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?cmdtype=runnamed&namedcmd=Denied%20Blocker%20Bugs%200.7>
[4]
<http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Roadmap#Tracking_0.8>

Daniel Boelzle

Oct 29, 2007, 8:27:55 AM10/29/07
to dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org

sorry, the correct links are
[2]
<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product=Calendar&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status_whiteboard=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailqa_contact2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&known_name=Proposed+Blocker+Bugs+0.7&query_based_on=Proposed+Blocker+Bugs+0.7&field0-0-0=flagtypes.name&type0-0-0=casesubstring&value0-0-0=blocking-calendar0.7%3F>
[3]
<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product=Calendar&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status_whiteboard=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailqa_contact2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&known_name=Denied+Blocker+Bugs+0.7&query_based_on=Denied+Blocker+Bugs+0.7&field0-0-0=flagtypes.name&type0-0-0=casesubstring&value0-0-0=blocking-calendar0.7->

Daniel