lightning ftp ics on web server working differently in thunder bird 3.0?

todd

May 29, 2007, 1:22:49 AM5/29/07
Hi.

I have setup lightning to work with an ics file stored on my web server.
I gave an ftp address for the location and my password is saved in
password manager. All is good. Lightning loads from the web server
using ftp.

However, I have just downloaded and compiled the latest thunderbird
3.0a1pre and calendar (lightning 0.6a1) code. I tried to get the same
setup working with the new thunderbird and lightning. I found however,
that when lightning tries to load the remote ics file it launches my ftp
client program (for me that's LeapFTP). So, it seems that somehow
lightning is launching the external app instead of just using the ftp
protocol to get the file.

Anybody have any clue why this is happening?

-Todd

Stefan Sitter

May 29, 2007, 12:16:02 PM5/29/07
Lightning doesn't provide any FTP functionality itself. It just uses
the FTP functionality provided by the host application. In this
case it's Thunderbird 3.0a1pre. Therefore it sounds that the FTP
handling changed in Thunderbird 3.0a1pre. You might check the
Thunderbird 3 changelog or open bugs for this.

/Stefan

todd

May 31, 2007, 2:51:54 AM5/31/07
Thanks for replying.

I changed some prefs in thunderbird and

I turned on the following...
network.protocol-handler.warn-external.ftp;true
advanced.mailftp;true
...to see if they would have any effect.

Well, now instead of just launching my external ftp program, I get a
warning that says "An external program must be launched to handle ftp
links" and gives me the option to launch it or bail out. So, clearly
thunderbird thinks that I've clicked on an FTP link.

It kinda makes sense I suppose.

This is how I'm formatting my calendar location:
ftp://us...@ftp.myserver.com/www/phpicalendar/calendars/work.ics

Does anybody have a setup similar to this (very latest builds of
thunderbird and lightning) and have it working properly?

I did not see anything on bugzilla about this.

I'm on a windows machine. Have not tested on linux yet, but may soon.

-TT

Michiel van Leeuwen

May 31, 2007, 11:50:29 AM5/31/07
todd wrote:
> Thanks for replying.
>
> I changed some prefs in thunderbird and

That won't help. Thunderbird simply does not have the code to work with
the ftp protocol. And lightning can't ship that code either, since it is
part of the backend.
So I'm afraid you are out of luck. sorry.

Michiel

Dan Mosedale

Jun 1, 2007, 2:00:41 PM6/1/07
Michiel van Leeuwen wrote:
> todd wrote:
>> Thanks for replying.
>>
>> I changed some prefs in thunderbird and
>
> That won't help. Thunderbird simply does not have the code to work with
> the ftp protocol. And lightning can't ship that code either, since it is
> part of the backend.

Why couldn't Lightning package and ship the FTP code (if that were
thought to be the right tradeoff)? Is there some technical restriction
that I'm not aware of?

Dan

todd

Jun 2, 2007, 2:59:10 AM6/2/07
to Dan Mosedale
I'm still a little confused here. I'm trying to learn more about the
new implementation if it is one. This kind of set up worked with
thunderbird 2 and the lightning extension. How could that be? Why
would thunderbird 3 have less functionality? Is anybody testing this
with the latest builds?

Basically, I want to have thunderbird/lightning read and write to a
remote calendar. Is the new way to do this webDAV only or something?
Surely there must be many people wanting to do this.

Hmmm.....

-TT

Michiel van Leeuwen

Jun 2, 2007, 5:59:59 AM6/2/07
Dan Mosedale wrote:
> Why couldn't Lightning package and ship the FTP code (if that were
> thought to be the right tradeoff)? Is there some technical restriction
> that I'm not aware of?

I'm not sure if it really is a right thing to do. There might be good
reasons for not including ftp in thunderbird. (I'm thinking about inline
images in mail coming from an ftp server. Are they properly blocked?)

But besides that, afaik, ftp is part of necko, which is a single
library. I don't think you can add to that library. But maybe I'm wrong,
and is necko pluggable enough.

Michiel

todd

Jun 2, 2007, 5:35:53 PM6/2/07
to Dan Mosedale
I'm still a little confused here. I'm trying to learn more about the
new implementation -if it is one. This kind of set-up worked with
thunderbird 2 and the lightning extension. Why

would thunderbird 3 have less functionality? Is anybody testing this
with the latest builds?

Basically, I want to have thunderbird/lightning read and write to a

remote calendar I have on my web server. This way I can check/edit my
calendar from home and work. I'm pretty much assuming that loads of
other will be using calendar/lightning this way. Is the new way to do

this webDAV only or something?

Hmmm.....

-TT

todd

todd

Michiel van Leeuwen

Jun 4, 2007, 11:35:36 AM6/4/07
todd wrote:
> I'm still a little confused here. I'm trying to learn more about the
> new implementation -if it is one. This kind of set-up worked with
> thunderbird 2 and the lightning extension. Why
> would thunderbird 3 have less functionality? Is anybody testing this
> with the latest builds?

I'm not sure what you mean here. There is no thunderbird 3. The latest
release is 2.
And as far as I know, thunderbird never shipped with ftp support, and
neither did lightning.
So I don't really understand how your setup with an ftp server ever
worked. Or did you use sunbird before? Sunbird does support ftp.

Michiel

Dan Mosedale

Jun 4, 2007, 3:53:21 PM6/4/07
Michiel van Leeuwen wrote:
> Dan Mosedale wrote:
>> Why couldn't Lightning package and ship the FTP code (if that were
>> thought to be the right tradeoff)? Is there some technical
>> restriction that I'm not aware of?
>
> I'm not sure if it really is a right thing to do. There might be good
> reasons for not including ftp in thunderbird. (I'm thinking about inline
> images in mail coming from an ftp server. Are they properly blocked?)

Good question; that would definitely require testing.

> But besides that, afaik, ftp is part of necko, which is a single
> library. I don't think you can add to that library. But maybe I'm wrong,
> and is necko pluggable enough.

It's one library at the moment, but that didn't used to be true.
Protocol handlers are totally pluggable; I'd be extremely surprised if
the necko FTP code couldn't be built individually and packaged as part
of an extension.

That said, it doesn't seem like doing that work ought to be a
particularly high priority thing...

Dan

todd

Jun 5, 2007, 1:44:09 AM6/5/07
to Dan Mosedale
OK, it seems that the latest build from the trunk is thunderbird "3...".
I built it from the trunk source.

TB 2.x is a branch.

Let's see now... I've installed TB version 2.0.0.0 (20070326)and have
got Lightning 0.5 in it. Things work well with the ftp:// location for
my ics file. Thunderbird even stores my password.

Trying the same set up with the new thunderbird from the latest code
from the trunk does not seem to work.

Well...I guess I'm on my own to figure this out.

Thanks for all the replies!

-Todd

Sebastian Schwieger

Jun 5, 2007, 3:29:47 AM6/5/07
Michiel van Leeuwen schrieb:

Michiel,

I can confirm that ftp does work with Thunderbird 2. You can subscribe
to an calendar that lives in ftp space and work with it. That said,
there is at least one thing that doesn't work which is publishing to an
ftp server.

Sebo

todd

Jun 6, 2007, 12:46:09 AM6/6/07
to Sebastian Schwieger

I if I use an ftp address, thunderbird will save my password for me and
I can modify/edit an ics on an ftp site that way. Works great. Does
everybody here use webDav? I don't know if my web host supports that,
but it seems to be the way to go.

-TT

Michiel van Leeuwen

Jun 8, 2007, 11:11:52 AM6/8/07
> I can confirm that ftp does work with Thunderbird 2. You can subscribe
> to an calendar that lives in ftp space and work with it. That said,
> there is at least one thing that doesn't work which is publishing to an
> ftp server.

I've looked at the source code, and indeed, thunderbird does seem to
ship with ftp support. But it has a content-policy that blocks all
requests to an ftp host. So it does not work after all. I think that the
code that calls the policy was changed from tb2 to trunk.
I'm not sure if we can work around that content restriction. I should
look into that.

Michiel