Sunbird/Lightning 0.5 proposed schedule

Matthew Willis

Feb 25, 2007, 4:22:52 PM2/25/07
At last week's calendar meeting, I was asked to propose a schedule for
0.5's release. [1] There is a lot of good work already complete, and it
was agreed last week that the value of getting that work out to our
users is high. That said, there are still some features and outstanding
issues that we'd like to see make it in, if only to provide a more
visible indicator of the progress we're making. With all of the above
in mind, I've tried to make a schedule, and therefore a feature list,
that is both aggressive and achievable, two attributes which are often
in direct conflict.

Given the current state of things, the items I feel block 0.5 are:
- Calendar view "working hours"
- Event box beautification
- iTIP/iMIP accept and decline
- Printing integration in Tb
- Undo/redo integration in Tb
- Copy/paste integration in Tb
- UNIX printing fixes

Items which won't block, but which we'd take if they were done in time are:
- Foreign timezone support (new tz backend)
- iTIP/iMIP invite
- Updated event dialog

March 2007
S M Tu W Th F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

My suggested schedule is:
March 12 - string freeze - l10n begins
March 17 - code freeze (If it's not in by now, it's missing the bus.)
March 19 - functional testing by #calendar-qa, localizers check their
work using nightlies
March 23 - l10n freeze
March 26 - first RC
March 31 - release

This is a proposal, so please let me know your thoughts so that we can
make this "official" in this week's meeting.

-lilmatt

[1] http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Status_Meetings:2007-02-21

Simon Paquet

Feb 25, 2007, 5:02:24 PM2/25/07
And on the seventh day Matthew Willis spoke:

>Given the current state of things, the items I feel block 0.5 are:
> - Calendar view "working hours"
> - Event box beautification
> - iTIP/iMIP accept and decline
> - Printing integration in Tb
> - Undo/redo integration in Tb
> - Copy/paste integration in Tb
> - UNIX printing fixes
>
>Items which won't block, but which we'd take if they were done in time are:
> - Foreign timezone support (new tz backend)
> - iTIP/iMIP invite
> - Updated event dialog

I agree with all the items on both lists.

>My suggested schedule is:
>March 12 - string freeze - l10n begins
>March 17 - code freeze (If it's not in by now, it's missing the bus.)
>March 19 - functional testing by #calendar-qa, localizers check their
>work using nightlies
>March 23 - l10n freeze
>March 26 - first RC
>March 31 - release
>
>This is a proposal, so please let me know your thoughts so that we can
>make this "official" in this week's meeting.

IMO this schedule is too aggressive and will give us nearly no chance to
move the "nice to have, but not blockers"-items into 0.5. IMO and effort
should be made to get (most of) these items in.

In addition past experience has shown that one RC is not enough in most
cases. The release schedule should reflect this.

So here's my proposal:

March 12 - string freeze - l10n begins

March 24 - code freeze (If it's not in by now, it's missing the bus.)
March 26 - functional testing by #calendar-qa, localizers check their
work using nightlies
March 30 - l10n freeze
April 02 - first RC
April 08 - second RC or release, in case RC 1 was good enough
April 14 - next release attempt

I basically left the string freeze as it was, moved all the dates one
week back and added an (optional) RC 2.

Simon
--
Sunbird/Lightning Website Maintainer:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar

Clint Talbert

Feb 25, 2007, 11:25:12 PM2/25/07
Simon Paquet wrote:
> And on the seventh day Matthew Willis spoke:
> ..snip..
>
> I agree with all the items on both lists.

Me too

Matt's schedule:

>> My suggested schedule is:
>> March 12 - string freeze - l10n begins
>> March 17 - code freeze (If it's not in by now, it's missing the bus.)
>> March 19 - functional testing by #calendar-qa, localizers check their
>> work using nightlies
>> March 23 - l10n freeze
>> March 26 - first RC
>> March 31 - release

Simon's scheudle:

> March 12 - string freeze - l10n begins
> March 24 - code freeze (If it's not in by now, it's missing the bus.)
> March 26 - functional testing by #calendar-qa, localizers check their
> work using nightlies
> March 30 - l10n freeze
> April 02 - first RC
> April 08 - second RC or release, in case RC 1 was good enough
> April 14 - next release attempt

I tend to like Simon's schedule a bit more. It reflects that we almost
always have at least 2 RC's, so we might as well plan for that. Also, I
like the extra time in this schedule for QA and the find fix cycle,
which usually always runs a little long.

That's my two cents,

Clint

Michael Büttner

Feb 26, 2007, 3:55:04 AM2/26/07
I also agree with all of the items on both lists and vote for Simons
schedule. This gives us exactly 3 weeks until code freeze from now on,
which is something I feel comfortable with.

mickey.

bvdbos

Mar 13, 2007, 6:26:16 AM3/13/07
On Feb 25, 10:22 pm, Matthew Willis <lilm...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Items which won't block, but which we'd take if they were done in time are:
> - Foreign timezone support (new tz backend)
> - iTIP/iMIP invite
> - Updated event dialog

I walked through a lot of bugreports the last days, trying to confirm
or WFM them. The biggest problem encountered are the foreign timezones
so I would like to urge you to fix this problem. Another problem which
is causing significant dataloss are the put without get - problems.
These can be solved in the string-freeze if necasserry.

gr

Bas (bvdbos)

bvdbos

Mar 14, 2007, 2:33:14 AM3/14/07

I forgot one thing, as discussed with jminta and mvl on irc yesterday.
Handling on non-UTF8 charsets.

gr

Bas