Need feedback: how drumbeat project process works?

Mark Surman

Feb 16, 2010, 12:05:33 PM2/16/10
Hey all

I've written up draft drumbeat.org copy describing how the project
process will work -- and they kind of support we'll offer:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/website/aboutprojects

While this is pretty much the way we've been talking about projects all
along, the specifics are new.

It would be great if a couple (or more) people could take a look at this
in the next day or so. I'm interested to know:

- Is the process we're describing clear? If not, what should we clarify?

- Will the process we're proposing motivate people with project ideas to
participate in Drumbeat? If not, how could we improve?

This will keep evolving, of course. But we should have something solid
when the site launches this week.

ms

PS. I may also ask for feedback on my blog. But great to get quick

Bruno Magrani

Feb 16, 2010, 1:50:15 PM2/16/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Hey Mark,
I think it looks great. Taking a step further I was thinking that it would be interesting to include some resources with general tips about how to draft a project, structure an idea, raise funds and etc. One site that just came to my mind is this http://venturehacks.com/ but I'm pretty sure there are other interesting resources out there we could compile. I'll take a look to see if I can find more stuff.
Bruno

Nathan Willis

Feb 17, 2010, 4:18:47 PM2/17/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Hi Mark,

Very helpful, I think.  Although one point that I'm not sure I follow is how #1 and #4 under "Featured" relate -- is it that being featured will help your project gain traction, or that gaining metric traction promotes the project to featured-status?  I really like that it addresses the "what you will see that's different" question, not just sorting the project levels by popularity.  That makes it more concrete.

Thanks,
Nate

Come to Texas Linux Fest, April 10 - registration now open at www.texaslinuxfest.org
--
nathan.p.willis
nwi...@glyphography.com

David Eaves

Feb 22, 2010, 1:45:14 AM2/22/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Hi Nate - my understanding is that projects that gain traction (e.g. get votes, traffic, have lots of contributors, etc...) will get featured. This will - once the drumbeat community has grown - likely mean they will get still more traffic and contributors...

Hope this is helpful.

cheers,
dave eaves

On 10-02-17 1:18 PM, Nathan Willis wrote:
Hi Mark,

Very helpful, I think.  Although one point that I'm not sure I follow is how #1 and #4 under "Featured" relate -- is it that being featured will help your project gain traction, or that gaining metric traction promotes the project to featured-status?  I really like that it addresses the "what you will see that's different" question, not just sorting the project levels by popularity.  That makes it more concrete.

Thanks,
Nate

Xavier Borderie

Feb 22, 2010, 3:33:08 PM2/22/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
> - Is the process we're describing clear? If not, what should we clarify?

I'm seconding Bruno in thinking a "how to draft a project" section is
needed -- but maybe that's already a thought for the future "Click
here to create a project" link?

While this might be in part subjective, it could be interesting to
define what makes a project promising. For instance, what metrics are
used (if any), who decides the "promisingness" of a project
(community? DB leaders?), can an excellent project be moved up the
ladder in a snap or does it have to walk it up step by step (albeit in
a shorter timeframe)?

> - Will the process we're proposing motivate people with project ideas to
> participate in Drumbeat? If not, how could we improve?

Stage 2 & 3 certainly contain some motivating details. Stage 1, on the
other hand, will need constant curating, if only to make sure that
dozens of project are not being left for dead just because they
haven't made it to Stage 2 quickly enough for said project's owners.
Therefore, while Stage 3 has "Dedicated support from a Mozilla
Drumbeat 'project producer' ", I can't help but think that the ones
that will require the most support (if only motivational) will be from
Stage 1. It could be interesting to dive into the specifics here (or
rather, in a separate page). The whole process is interesting to
document, if only because it helps people get a better grasp of what a
great DB project is made of, and it helps local leaders to implement
the process in a more specific way.

--
Xavier Borderie

Karl Dubost

Feb 24, 2010, 7:26:43 PM2/24/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, Xavier Borderie
Some ideas to help start a project and how to curate the list of projects.

Le 22 févr. 2010 à 15:33, Xavier Borderie a écrit :
> "how to draft a project" section

In About Mozilla Drumbeat Projects | Drumbeat
At http://www.drumbeat.org/about-projects

# Have 'maker' attitude -- they are about
building, creating and tinkering with things that
make the web better.

# Invite new people to contribute to Mozilla --
teachers, artists, lawyers, everyday internet
users lend their skills and creativity to the open
web cause.

# Make the web better in some concrete way. A more
open web should be a direct objective of your
project, not a side effect.

It doesn't indeed guide the person through the process of creating a project submission. Maybe something on the line of

1. Explain the purpose of the project
and what does it bring to the open Web.

* What do you mean when you say Project XXX?
* Why is it necessary for the open Web?
* How does Project XXX directly relate
to the work we do at Mozilla Foundation for the Open Web?
* Why should Mozilla Drumbeat lead/help such an effort?

2. List who is/should be involved in the project.

3. Define the context and scope of the project.

* Is there other Project on the Web with the same scope?
* Why they didn't address the goals that you are willing to push?
* What are the expectations of the project?

4. Identify measurable goals for the project

* What are the list of success criteria for this project?
* What are the risks and limitations of the project?

5. Define the resources needed for the success of the project

* How many people need to be involved to leverage the project?
* Is there a need for money? How are you planning to raise this money?
* For each role in your project, do you have an idea of how long a person will have to commit time on the project (by day, week or month)?

> if only to make sure that dozens of project are not being left for dead just because they haven't made it to Stage 2 quickly enough for said project's owners.

Not original but inspired by this list of 6 criterias
http://industrialbrand.com/blog/do-clients-choose-us-or-do-we-choose-clients

1. Portfolio:
Is there something about this project
that will enhance and leverage the open Web
so we may attract more, similar and better work?

2. Benefit:
Is there potential to make the Web more open with this work?

3. Ethics:
Is this project something we (Mozilla Foundation) can endorse
and believe in, or at the very least not compromise our ethics?

4. People:
Are these people we will enjoy working with?
Are they experienced enough or at least willing
to work in the spirit of Drumbeat projects?

5. Gut:
Are there any other factors beyond the above
that we need to consider?
What does our instinct tell

Mark Surman

Mar 1, 2010, 4:57:58 PM3/1/10
Hey

Thanks to everyone for feedback on this thread. I've done a bit more on
the 'how do projects work' theme in this blog post:

http://commonspace.wordpress.com/how-do-drumbeat-projects-work/

... incorporating some feedback from this thread.

The main thing people called for here was a 'how to do a good project'
piece. David Eaves offered to do something on this, which he will
probably post soon.

In the meantime, I also wonder if there are resources we can gather and
point people to re: running good projects. I saw this yesterday:

http://www.socrated.com/courses/4?home=1

There are probably other examples people can suggest.

ms

graphicsguru

Mar 1, 2010, 5:50:32 PM3/1/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
consider enabling drupal tracker then a person could view all recent
comments and post. without navigating through each project
Jamey Boje

Ken Saunders

Mar 1, 2010, 7:30:57 PM3/1/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Hi all,

Is it too soon to redirect http://www.mozilla.org/drumbeat/ to
http://www.drumbeat.org?

I just hooked up with a new friend on Twitter who has a Drumbeat (get
involved) badge on his site that leads to the first URL that I mentioned.

Ken

Matthew Thompson

Mar 1, 2010, 7:35:12 PM3/1/10
to KenSa...@accessfirefox.org, The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Thanks Ken. You're right -- someone else mentioned this today as well.
Will get it updated first thing.

On 2010-03-01, at 7:30 PM, Ken Saunders

David Eaves

Mar 2, 2010, 3:55:43 AM3/2/10
to community...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi everyone,

I took some of the ideas that people had posted to the newsgroup and
condensed them into a single piece. I've placed it on the wiki as my
sense is that it is only a starting point and am hoping people will add
to or edit it. The piece can be found here:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/forminstructions

Look forward to seeing peoples comments or edits. I will keep expanding
on it as well.

Cheers,
Dave

pa...@appcoast.com

Mar 2, 2010, 10:33:21 AM3/2/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, KenSa...@accessfirefox.org, Matthew Thompson
Hi Matt,

Can we also forward mozilladrumbeat.com @ drumbeat.org ?

Best,
Paul Booker

On 02/03/10 00:35, Matthew Thompson wrote:
> Thanks Ken. You're right -- someone else mentioned this today as well.
> Will get it updated first thing.
>

> On 2010-03-01, at 7:30 PM, Ken Saunders
> <kensa...@accessfirefox.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is it too soon to redirect http://www.mozilla.org/drumbeat/ to
>> http://www.drumbeat.org?
>>
>> I just hooked up with a new friend on Twitter who has a Drumbeat (get
>> involved) badge on his site that leads to the first URL that I
>> mentioned.
>>
>> Ken

Allen Gunn

Mar 2, 2010, 6:48:02 PM3/2/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Hey,

Looks great! I fixed some typos, the writeup wrocks.

peace,
gunner

David Eaves wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I took some of the ideas that people had posted to the newsgroup and
> condensed them into a single piece. I've placed it on the wiki as my
> sense is that it is only a starting point and am hoping people will add
> to or edit it. The piece can be found here:
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/forminstructions
>
> Look forward to seeing peoples comments or edits. I will keep expanding
> on it as well.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Allen Gunn
Executive Director, Aspiration
+1.415.216.7252
www.aspirationtech.org

Aspiration: "Better Tools for a Better World"

Follow us:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/aspirationtech
Twitter: www.twitter.com/aspirationtech

Gervase Markham

Mar 3, 2010, 9:58:03 AM3/3/10
On 02/03/10 00:30, Ken Saunders wrote:
> Is it too soon to redirect http://www.mozilla.org/drumbeat/ to
> http://www.drumbeat.org?

This is now done.

Gerv

Gervase Markham

Mar 3, 2010, 9:59:06 AM3/3/10
On 02/03/10 15:33, pa...@appcoast.com wrote:
> Can we also forward mozilladrumbeat.com @ drumbeat.org ?

Has anyone actually been using or publicising that URL?

Once it starts working, we'll have to make it work forever, and people
might start publicising it, confusing people and splitting traffic.

We're in the good position of having basically only one domain. Let's
keep it that way :-)

Gerv

Carlo Frinolli | nois3lab

Mar 3, 2010, 10:01:19 AM3/3/10

Il giorno 03/mar/2010, alle ore 15.59, Gervase Markham ha scritto:

We're in the good position of having basically only one domain. Let's
keep it that way :-)

agreed gerv, let's stick with mozilla.org/drumbeat -> drumbeat.org

Carlo Frinolli

[ creative director ]

nois3lab snc
[ website | http://nois3lab.it ]
[ corporate tweets | http://twitter.com/nois3lab ]
[ personal tweets | http://twitter.com/carl0s_ ]
via di scorticabove 77, 00156 Roma
tel. +390695557042 (direct)
tel. +390695557019 (office)
mobile. +39 347 31 12 050
skype. carlo_nois3lab

Karl Dubost

Mar 3, 2010, 10:04:36 AM3/3/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, Gervase Markham

Le 3 mars 2010 à 09:59, Gervase Markham a écrit :
> On 02/03/10 15:33, pa...@appcoast.com wrote:
>> Can we also forward mozilladrumbeat.com @ drumbeat.org ?
>
> Has anyone actually been using or publicising that URL?

0 results
http://www.google.com/search?as_lq=mozilladrumbeat.com

81 results
http://www.google.com/search?as_lq=drumbeat.org
http://www.google.com/search?as_lq=mozilla.org/drumbeat/

--
Karl Dubost
Montréal, QC, Canada

pa...@appcoast.com

Gervase Markham

Mar 4, 2010, 5:51:09 AM3/4/10
On 03/03/10 15:26, pa...@appcoast.com wrote:
> My thinking is just to make it for easy anyone who has heard of mozilla
> drumbeat to find the site quickly

It's OK; they'll use a search engine :-)
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=mozilla drumbeat

As drumbeat.org takes off, I'm sure it'll move up that list.

Gerv

pa...@appcoast.com

Mar 4, 2010, 6:07:09 AM3/4/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, Gervase Markham
Hey, Gerv!

If a new community member goes to mozilladrumbeat.com they'll get
"server not found" we could just point them at the Drumbeat site ( as we
did before when i owned the domain) so that no one can see this message :-)

Best,
Paul Booker

Kerim Kalamujic

Mar 4, 2010, 6:18:21 AM3/4/10
to community...@lists.mozilla.org
Quoting Gervase Markham <ge...@mozilla.org>:

This might sounds like a stupid question, but have you done any SEO
for the drumbeat.org?

Michael Haggerty

Mar 4, 2010, 6:18:39 AM3/4/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, Gervase Markham
Ideally, users would be redirected to Drumbeat.org. The multisite
install is not going to respect requests for content using anything
but the drumbeat.org domain.

Best Regards,
Michael Haggerty

Michael Haggerty | CEO, Chief Internet Strategist | Trellon, LLC

web www.trellon.com | email mhag...@trellon.com
tel 240 643 6561 | aim haggerty321

On Mar 4, 2010, at 6:07 AM, pa...@appcoast.com wrote:

> Hey, Gerv!
>
> If a new community member goes to mozilladrumbeat.com they'll get
> "server not found" we could just point them at the Drumbeat site
> ( as we did before when i owned the domain) so that no one can see
>
> Best,
> Paul Booker

Gervase Markham

Mar 4, 2010, 6:20:54 AM3/4/10
On 04/03/10 11:18, Kerim Kalamujic wrote:
> This might sounds like a stupid question, but have you done any SEO for
> the drumbeat.org?

It's not a stupid question at all. The answer is "no, not yet" :-)

Gerv

Michael Haggerty

Mar 4, 2010, 6:22:09 AM3/4/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Nothing outside of basic page construction.

Something I am hoping for is implementing RDF in future versions, to
make all projects more readily classifiable. This is not too difficult
to do in Drupal, but would require some support for users since the
technology is still so new.

On Mar 4, 2010, at 6:18 AM, Kerim Kalamujic wrote:

> This might sounds like a stupid question, but have you done any SEO
> for the drumbeat.org?

Gervase Markham

Mar 4, 2010, 6:26:49 AM3/4/10
On 04/03/10 11:07, pa...@appcoast.com wrote:
> If a new community member goes to mozilladrumbeat.com they'll get
> "server not found" we could just point them at the Drumbeat site ( as we
> did before when i owned the domain) so that no one can see this message :-)

But why do we stop there? Why does this logic not then lead to
registering mozilladrumbeat.org, drumbeat.eu, mozilladrumbeat.info etc.
and pointing them all at drumbeat.org?

OK, you decided to register mozilladrumbeat.com, but that doesn't make
it any more special than mozilladrumbeat.org or mozilladrumbeat.info.
And we should not do anything which perpetuates the idea that somehow
".com" is special and better than all the other TLDs. We are a
non-profit, and .org is the right space for us. My honest view is that
it would have been better if you hadn't registered mozilladrumbeat.com,
but never mind :-)

The clearest possible single message is that we have one domain, it's
drumbeat.org, and that's what we are using, and that's what everyone
should link to. Introducing more just confuses things.

Gerv

Kerim Kalamujic

Mar 4, 2010, 6:37:46 AM3/4/10
to community...@lists.mozilla.org
Quoting Gervase Markham <ge...@mozilla.org>:

OK. When you reach the SEO phase feel free to contact me if you need any help.

pa...@appcoast.com

Mar 4, 2010, 6:53:01 AM3/4/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, Gervase Markham

Ok Gerv , lets not redirect a user who goes to mozilladrumbeat.com
to Drumbeat.

Best, Paul

pa...@appcoast.com

Mar 4, 2010, 7:16:36 AM3/4/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, Gervase Markham
Ah , there is probably a flaw in my reasoning.

I purchased mozilladrumbeat.com before it was known that we had drumbeat.org
so i thought i was doing everyone a good service in picking this domain
up . I was also under
the impression (which might be wrong) that if someone typed
mozilladrumbeat into the
awesome bar in firefox and who had never been to the drumbeat wiki that
they would be
taken to mozilladrumbeat.com first to try and find our site (like i say
i may be wrong)

Best , Paul

On 04/03/10 11:53, pa...@appcoast.com wrote:
> On 04/03/10 11:26, Gervase Markham wrote:

> Ok Gerv , lets not redirect a user who goes to mozilladrumbeat.com
> to Drumbeat.
>
> Best, Paul

Gervase Markham

Mar 4, 2010, 7:21:31 AM3/4/10
On 04/03/10 12:16, pa...@appcoast.com wrote:
> I purchased mozilladrumbeat.com before it was known that we had
> drumbeat.org
> so i thought i was doing everyone a good service in picking this domain
> up .

Sure. Sadly, we couldn't say publicly that we were going after it, for
obvious reasons.

> I was also under
> the impression (which might be wrong) that if someone typed
> mozilladrumbeat into the
> awesome bar in firefox and who had never been to the drumbeat wiki that
> they would be
> taken to mozilladrumbeat.com first to try and find our site (like i say
> i may be wrong)

No, Firefox doesn't do that (unless you press Ctrl-Enter, but no-one
does that any more).

Gerv

Matt Thompson

Mar 4, 2010, 9:02:16 AM3/4/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, drumbeat...@lists.mozilla.org
Hey, all! Just wanted to mention: this thread is ~exactly~ the kind of penetrating, insightful, brilliant and enthusiastic web site analysis
that our new dedicated ~Drumbeat web site mailing list~ is all about! :)

It's a fantastic place where geeks like us can be free to geek out in all the glorious detail we want!

All the sign-up details are here on the web site wiki page:

Maybe we can continue this thread there?

--Matt

Links:
Google group (currently not displaying messages -- Gerv is working on a fix)

pa...@appcoast.com

Ken Saunders

Mar 4, 2010, 6:13:47 PM3/4/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, Gervase Markham
Not meaning to fuel it any further but,
Paul, if you registered mozilladrumbeat.com, can't you just redirect it
yourself?
If you turned it over to Mozilla, can't it just be redirected and be
done with?

Drumbeat.org will get a higher spot (the #1 spot actually) on Google on
its own (it's happened for me with sites that I didn't put any SEO
efforts into). It's already at #10 for just the keyword drumbeat out of
6,840,000, but if you want to speed things up, getting a Wikipedia
article going would be helpful, and a dmoz (or 2) listing as well (hint,
hint, to one of our readers) would definitely help for sure.
Mozilla Drumbeat for President pins and bumper stickers couldn't hurt
either.

Ken