Finally some Key Messages!

Dharmishta Rood

May 11, 2010, 11:07:22 PM5/11/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
I think Geoffrey and I finally got some headings for the Key Message
document.

For those of you not 'in the know' this document is to describe *Drumbeat*
internally, (meaning it doesn't go on the website itself, but like
everything else, remains open on the wiki) so that we're all creating
comprehensive, aligned copy *about* Drumbeat for the site, press releases,
when we're trying to figure out how to describe it in a blogpost--whatever!

It's on the wiki here https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/key_message
and i've moved a lot of the other text here (for those of you who are
worried about the loooooooong doc. that used to be "key messages")
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/marketingmaterials

It's pasted below for your enjoyment and convenience. my comments [are in
some brackets]

Please edit, comment and generally pick apart to make it stronger!

<3
Dharmishta

Key Message
What *is* Drumbeat?

- An invitation to everyday internet users to help keep the web open
- An inclusive network that facilitates and aides open web innovations
- A worldwide community of smart, creative, everyday people who actually
/make and do/ things that attack problems, power big ideas, and build the
open web.
- [we need more in this section, or really to segregate these into a few
key bullets, but this is the basic idea]

How does it work?

- You connect with people and projects that are interesting to you--the
goal is for you to connect with others and *build* stuff
- We help you find each other to make projects and build traction and
change the world
- If you start to be successful your project can be funded
- [this section is waaaay choppy, but basically, 'meet people, make open
web-y stuff, maybe get funded']

Who's behind it?

- The Mozilla Foundation and every web user on the planet
- Mozilla has huge audience--great way to affect change towards the open
web is to mobilize this demographic firefox was one way to facilitate the
open web [but was not enough]
- We are using the audience and brand behind Mozilla to leverage Drumbeat
and the open web
- Drumbeat is a way for a more demographics of people to participate in
the open web than developers and beta testers of Firefox
- We are doing these things in the same way we make Firefox -- using an
open, participatory and global approach to build things that simultaneously
make the web stronger and delight the people who use them.
- [these, like the other sections, need to become more bullet-y but this
is the content...]

What are you trying to accomplish?

- Big fucking change on the internet. Openness everywhere, not for nerds
only–we’re taking what we started with Firefox and amplifying it through
Drumbeat.

-
- Short-term goals:
- a strong, safe open internet
- to back social entrepreneurs who are making things
- Find and nurture thousands of local community leaders who will
invite people in their cities to participate in practical,
hands-on open web
projects and events.
- Create a compelling and diverse narrative about the open web that
motivates millions of people around the world
- Long-term goals
- an internet where everyone should all be able to freely create,
innovate and express ideas
- a huge, lasting movement of people who feel they own, shape and
should protect the web

- [this section needs shorter bullets, but these are the key ideas--also
we need a non-cursing version of 'big fucking change on the internet' for
the next iteration :) ]

Why does that matter?

- The Internet is increasingly becoming our global commons: a critical
public resource over a billion people use every day to learn, innovate,
trade, befriend and play.
- It creates more wealth, supports more friendships and fosters more
innovation than anything ever before.
- The open web needs to be grown, improved, and protected, Protected from
confusion. Monopoly. Exploitation. Centralization. Control.
- It is in the hands of internet *users* to shape the future of the open
web. At the end of the day it's up to *us.*

The open Web, in short, is evolving, decentralized, transparent and
participatory. It is:

- *Evolving* and improving as we each can re-shape existing parts of the
Internet into something that is our own.
- *Decentralized* in both architecture and control, ensuring continued
choice and diversity.
- Built on *transparent* technologies that anyone can study, use or
improve.
- Fueled by *participation*, in ideas, energy or media from more than a
billion Internet users.

What happens if this works?

- magic and unicorns and THE OPEN WEB
- [more on this later]

How can I help?

- Host an event
- Tell a friend about the open web
- Start a project
- Help a project

[these, unlike the other sections, need to get narrative and pretty.]

[not sure if this is a good place for "what makes a good drumbeat project"
or if that shouldn't be included in this doc] if we want to include it, here
it is:

must make the web better
don’t have to be implemented-that’s what the drumbeat community is for
Drumbeat can help with online tools, awareness raising, expert advice,
skilled volunteers, and fundraising.
Projects need clear, measurable outcomes. The more specific & doable, the
better. With lots of opportunities to build and make.
Uses 'Internet DNA.' Working in the open. Crowd-sourcing, collaboration and
participation.
allow for participation--helps everyday web users get involved to help make
the web better.

Robert Kaiser

May 12, 2010, 9:59:39 AM5/12/10
Dharmishta Rood schrieb:

> - Big fucking change on the internet.

Please keep that f-word out of it, as a number of people will keepo
themselves out if it is in.

Robert Kaiser

Brett Gaylor

May 12, 2010, 10:09:05 AM5/12/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
I think its good, but I feel there should be a section labelled "what is the
closed web?"

People need to understand why we're doing what we're doing. Isn't the web
already free and participatory? Most people think it is, and think Facebook
is a great example of the open web. Particularly since facebook keeps
saying so :)

When I explain drumbeat to people, its the #1 question, and I often find
myself at odds to explain the threats properly.
Brett

pa...@appcoast.com

May 12, 2010, 10:32:22 AM5/12/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, Brett Gaylor
On 12/05/10 15:09, Brett Gaylor wrote:
> I think its good, but I feel there should be a section labelled "what is the
> closed web?"

Totally agree

> People need to understand why we're doing what we're doing. Isn't the web
> already free and participatory? Most people think it is, and think Facebook
> is a great example of the open web. Particularly since facebook keeps
> saying so :)

LOL , that's so true Brett!

> When I explain drumbeat to people, its the #1 question, and I often find
> myself at odds to explain the threats properly
>

> Brett

>> only�we�re taking what we started with Firefox and amplifying it through

>> don�t have to be implemented-that�s what the drumbeat community is for

>> Drumbeat can help with online tools, awareness raising, expert advice,
>> skilled volunteers, and fundraising.

>> Projects need clear, measurable outcomes. The more specific& doable, the

Alina Mierluș

May 12, 2010, 10:37:08 AM5/12/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
+1 Brett

-Alina

> I think its good, but I feel there should be a section labelled "what is the
> closed web?"
>

> People need to understand why we're doing what we're doing. Isn't the web
> already free and participatory? Most people think it is, and think Facebook
> is a great example of the open web. Particularly since facebook keeps
> saying so :)
>

> When I explain drumbeat to people, its the #1 question, and I often find

> myself at odds to explain the threats properly.

> > only–we’re taking what we started with Firefox and amplifying it through

> > don’t have to be implemented-that’s what the drumbeat community is for

> > Drumbeat can help with online tools, awareness raising, expert advice,
> > skilled volunteers, and fundraising.

> > Projects need clear, measurable outcomes. The more specific & doable, the

> > better. With lots of opportunities to build and make.
> > Uses 'Internet DNA.' Working in the open. Crowd-sourcing, collaboration and
> > participation.
> > allow for participation--helps everyday web users get involved to help make
> > the web better.

Alina Mierlus
Community engagement, Mozilla Foundation

al...@mozillafoundation.org
http://www.alinamierlus.com

Matt Thompson

May 12, 2010, 10:55:51 AM5/12/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
I think these headings are great! Great work Dharmishta & Geoff!

Per Brett's suggestion, what about a section after: "What happens if this works?" called "What happens if we lose?"

Wish I could dig in further on bullets today, but sprinting on web deployment stuff.
I added a section under "What is Drumbeat?" for notes and suggestions, and added a few ideas on the page. (pasted below as well.)

--Matt

What is Drumbeat?

An invitation to everyday internet users to help keep the web open

An inclusive network that facilitates and aides open web innovations

A worldwide community of smart, creative, everyday people who actually /make and do/ things that attack problems, power big ideas, and build the open web.

[we need more in this section, or really to segregate these into a few key bullets, but this is the basic idea]

Notes & suggestions:

"Mozilla Drumbeat is a global community of inspired geeks working to protect and grow the open web."
"We're innovators, makers, and everyday Internet users using technology to attack problems, power big ideas and invent the web's future."
Should probably include explicit mention of "projects", since that's at Drumbeat's core?
"By bringing together great people, projects and events, Drumbeat uses open innovation and collaboration to turn big ideas into reality."
Make some connection / reference to Firefox?
"We're taking the same spirit and unique way of working that built the world's greatest web browser. And using it to build a better web -- and more open world."
Might be good to have an "example" sentence somewhere to make it more concrete?
Like: "From making the web more accessible across language and disability divides, to open web skills training and education, to 'open source cinema' and new ways of telling stories."
"Drumbeat projects make the web better. More open. More innovative. More accessible. More awesome!"

What happens if we lose?

"The open innovation, level playing field and creativity we take for granted online today may vanish."
"Replaced by a series of walled gardens, roadblocks, and gatekeepers."
"We need to ensure the open web doesn't get hijacked by monopolies, would-be gatekeepers or locked-down technologies that threaten innovation."
"The open web is our world's nervous system. We need to keep it open, healthy and growing. And guard it against threats the same way we protect our environment."
[needs work]

Brett Gaylor

May 12, 2010, 10:59:51 AM5/12/10
On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Matt Thompson <mthomp...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I think these headings are great! Great work Dharmishta & Geoff!
>
> Per Brett's suggestion, what about a section after: "What happens if this
> works?" called "What happens if we lose?"

Exactly. And with some hints at some disturbing things that are already
happening, ie

-similar to what has happened in Korea, a single browser could dominate the
market
-privacy norms could be radically shifted by one operator
-other specific things?

Percy Cabello, Mozilla Perú

May 12, 2010, 11:20:43 AM5/12/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Glad to see this topic. Like other I find it somewhat challenging to be able
to quickly offer some examples of what the closed web looks like. A few
ideas here:

- More obscure unsearchable content behind plugins like Silverlight and
flash
- An even more inaccessible web for people with disabilities
- A limited web for users of browsers that don't support Flash: iPad, iPod,
Nintendo DS, etc.
- Limited access to some web apps that support proprietary VBScript/ActiveX
- Developers would have to create several specific search engines if not
embracing OpenSearch
- A lot similar like the mid- late- nineties, web developers basically had
to develop two web site versions: one for Netscape, one for IE
- Plugin content is basically isolated content on web pages unlike SVG,
canvas and <video> limiting innovation and better interfaces

Percy

Brett Gaylor

May 12, 2010, 11:29:22 AM5/12/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
These are super and need, but I wonder if we can try and brainstorm in the
more narrative approach Geoffrey and Dharmishta are using, so something more
like:

-An innovator in her garage has to ask permission and pay royalties to
develop an innovative video conferencing tool
-A musicians' independent album is unable to be distributed on the most
widely available internet service provider
-A single company gets to decide the future of moving images online, and
blocks promising developments that threaten their monopoly
-Political dissidents living under totalitarian regimes are identified for
their online protest and jailed....

Matt Thompson

May 12, 2010, 11:42:07 AM5/12/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
These are all great -- let's make sure they make it onto the wiki page, and don't get lost in email.

Robert Kaiser

May 13, 2010, 10:01:51 AM5/13/10
Brett Gaylor schrieb:

> I think its good, but I feel there should be a section labelled "what is the
> closed web?"

So true, though I'm a bit reluctant of talking negatively, but I guess
some things are impossible to make clear by only positive talk.
Let's just make sure it goes with a strong "here's the problem - here's
the solution" line of thought.

> People need to understand why we're doing what we're doing. Isn't the web
> already free and participatory? Most people think it is, and think Facebook
> is a great example of the open web. Particularly since facebook keeps
> saying so :)

Exactly. People are often completely perplex about why I'm not on
Facebook, as I'm "such an Internet guy anyhow" and "it's so cool" who
they found there of their old school friends or whatever (often even
people they now like to find again even though they hated them back
then). And not open? Sorry, everyone can get in, right? And they just
published this "Open Something" standard, right? :P

Right, let's be just as open and twitter about it. ;-)

Robert Kaiser

Dharmishta Rood

May 14, 2010, 1:50:09 AM5/14/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
@Robert --it's out now, and was never meant for the final copy, was just a
placeholder for "make a strong statement here" thx for the feedback :)

@Brett/Paul/Alina/Matt I added a "closed web" area to the regular about page
too. current draft:

A closed internet slows down innovation and commerce, and stifles
collaboration--it is walled gardens, roadblocks, and gatekeepers. These
constrictions often prevent distribution, pooled resources and emergent
processes. By keeping the web open we allow a more fair marketplace.

porting all of this into the wiki/next draft now...

pa...@appcoast.com

May 14, 2010, 8:34:00 AM5/14/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, Dharmishta Rood

> @Brett/Paul/Alina/Matt I added a "closed web" area to the regular about page
> too. current draft:
>
> A closed internet slows down innovation and commerce, and stifles
> collaboration--it is walled gardens, roadblocks, and gatekeepers. These
> constrictions often prevent distribution, pooled resources and emergent
> processes. By keeping the web open we allow a more fair marketplace.

I think painting a picture of the *closed* web in terms of "walled
gardens" ,
"roadblocks" ,.. will be a very accessible way of getting our message across
why we need an open web

Feel free to join my facebook group "We deserve a better facebook" @
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=124916090858483

Best,
Paul Booker
Appcoast

Dharmishta Rood

May 18, 2010, 1:20:24 PM5/18/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Thank you for all of your help and input! From a combination of your
comments in this thread, conversations we've had with you and other
community members on and offline, we've got something close to final!

What we've got is about 98% there. We're going to be doing some final edits
in the next 24 hours and then using this page to solidify content for the
rest of the site and other Drumbeat communications materials.

We're pretty happy with this draft as a combination of a wide variety of
feedback but, as always, feel free to let us know if you have any final
comments.

you can find it here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/key_message

<3
Dharmishta