Google グループは Usenet の新規の投稿と購読のサポートを終了しました。過去のコンテンツは引き続き閲覧できます。

Website feedback from project owners

閲覧: 1 回
最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

Mark Surman

未読、
2010/02/18 21:55:452010/02/18
To:
We're opening the web site to a few people who are leading Drumbeat
projects.

This thread is a place to feedback specifically on the process of
creating project pages on the site.

We know there is a ton that needs improvement. Please post concrete
suggestions for improvements here.

ms

Ken Saunders

未読、
2010/02/21 18:47:402010/02/21
To:
It looks great.

I'm still running through the site's functionality itself, but the
first thing that I noticed that could (perhaps) be tweaked is the tags
hover effect. Currently it's just an underline and at least for me, it
doesn't provide a whole lot of contrast or make the hovered tag stand
out much.
I'd say add a background-image for the a:hover, or, make the current
background image a bit darker, use white for the tag's text (as it is
now), and then use a different color (maybe a yellow hue, or orange-
ish) for the a:hover color:
Or, maybe just use a thin text-shadow?

It isn't a big deal overall, but it is something that stood out ( or
didn't :) ) to me.

.block-tags li .field-content a:hover {
text-decoration:underline;

Ken

Ned Schwartz

未読、
2010/02/21 18:58:132010/02/21
To: The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Agreed. I would drop the whole background image approach all together
and just use css border radius to creat the tag capsules. I would then
give the tags another bg colour on hover - either the terracotta or
the green.

Tapped gingerly into a picture of a keyboard on a tiny touch screen.

Maxim Weinstein

未読、
2010/02/22 13:17:542010/02/22
To:
Here are some bugs, oddities, and gripes, despite how much I like the
overall look and feel of the site:

* Even though I have "filtered HTML" selected as my input method,
using approved tags doesn't seem to work, and all line breaks are
stripped out of my content.
* When viewing my public profile after I changed my display name, the
page header only shows my first name, not my full name:
https://drumbeat.stage.mozilla.com/users/max-weinstein - this is true
even though my profile is set to have my last name visible to
everyone; also, my name still uses the old name on the bottom-right of
the project page where it shows recent project activity
* I changed my e-mail address in my profile, and while it shows
correctly if I try to edit my profile, when I view my main profile
page, it shows the old address
* Also when viewing my main profile page, the "Skills" section is odd
- the "skills" column, if I haven't selected any specific skills shows
as "Example Skill"; the roles column says "Manager," but it's not
clear where that's coming from or what it means in this context; the
projects column says "stopbadware," which is not the name of the
project (StopBadware Stories)
* On a project page, it might be nice to be able to toggle off your "I
like this" status, just in case someone clicks it by accident (or gets
fed up with a project)
* I find that when I edit the project profile text, esp. things like
"goals" and "how will your idea make the web better," these don't
always show up on the public project page or, if they do, it happens
sporadically or long after I've edited them
* I don't understand how feeds and the news section work; someone
posted the slides I did as a news item, which I can't find any way to
edit/remove, and the RSS feed I added for the SBW blog doesn't show up
anyplace that I can see
* When I look at the users for my project, I see that I'm listed as
Manager and admin. I can't edit or change this. Publicly, I see myself
as "Project Manager," which sounds more like a corporate job title and
less like "Project Leader" or whatever one might want to call the
person organizing a project. It might be nice for this to be user-
editable.

A couple things specific to my own profile:

* My user profile is associated with an organization, StopBadWare.org,
which should be StopBadware, and there's no way for me to edit this.
* My e-mail address is also incorrect - should be
mwein...@stopbadware.org

=Max=

On Feb 18, 9:55 pm, Mark Surman <m...@mozillafoundation.org> wrote:

Matthew Thompson

未読、
2010/02/22 15:02:002010/02/22
To: The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Max, thank you so much for this!!! You really wrestled with the page, which is exactly what we need. Extremely grateful to you!

Some responses in line below. I've filed several bugs to follow up on this -- will keep you posted as we make fixes and progress on them.

Drumbeat owes you a beer (or two),

--Matt

On 2010-02-22, at 1:17 PM, Maxim Weinstein wrote:

* Even though I have "filtered HTML" selected as my input method,
using approved tags doesn't seem to work, and all line breaks are
stripped out of my content.

Yep, agreed. Working on this one. Trying to get a simpler, more WYSWIG place. Should have something ready for your feedback Tues or Wed.

* When viewing my public profile after I changed my display name, the
page header only shows my first name, not my full name:
https://drumbeat.stage.mozilla.com/users/max-weinstein - this is true
even though my profile is set to have my last name visible to
everyone; also, my name still uses the old name on the bottom-right of
the project page where it shows recent project activity

Have filed a bug on this one -- thanks for this!
Your profile appears fine when logged in as admin, but not as a regular user.
Will get it fixed!

Bug 547768 - User profile does not display correct name

* I changed my e-mail address in my profile, and while it shows
correctly if I try to edit my profile, when I view my main profile
page, it shows the old address

Bug filed.
Bug 547775 - Updated user email address does not display correctly on profile page

* Also when viewing my main profile page, the "Skills" section is odd
- the "skills" column, if I haven't selected any specific skills shows
as "Example Skill"; the roles column says "Manager," but it's not
clear where that's coming from or what it means in this context; the
projects column says "stopbadware," which is not the name of the
project (StopBadware Stories)

Agreed. We're going to turn off the "skills" column in the short term. Will need to circle back to do a more thorough review of the public profile process as well. Thanks Max.

Bug 547780 - Turn off "skills" fields for new users' public profile

* On a project page, it might be nice to be able to toggle off your "I
like this" status, just in case someone clicks it by accident (or gets
fed up with a project)

Hmm.... good point. Will need to think more about this. Should it say "Unlike this project?" "I don't like this?" how do we language that in a way that doesn't sound overly negative...

* I find that when I edit the project profile text, esp. things like
"goals" and "how will your idea make the web better," these don't
always show up on the public project page or, if they do, it happens
sporadically or long after I've edited them

We are addressing this as part of the larger page overhaul. Hope to have something better for you to look at Tues or Wed, included with the note above.

* I don't understand how feeds and the news section work; someone
posted the slides I did as a news item, which I can't find any way to
edit/remove, and the RSS feed I added for the SBW blog doesn't show up
anyplace that I can see

To delete that presentation slide item, you can:

a) click on the headline for the item (e.g., "Stop Badware presentation slides")
b) select "edit"
c) then click "delete" at the bottom of the page

does that work?

As for the RSS feed, you're right -- can't get it working either.
Bug 547789 - Project RSS feed does not display content or appear on project page

* When I look at the users for my project, I see that I'm listed as
Manager and admin. I can't edit or change this. Publicly, I see myself
as "Project Manager," which sounds more like a corporate job title and
less like "Project Leader" or whatever one might want to call the
person organizing a project. It might be nice for this to be user-
editable.

Maxim, I believe the "Project Manager" that appears under your name is user editable.
It's controlled via the "Occupation" field on your public profile
Are you able to edit that?

A couple things specific to my own profile:

* My user profile is associated with an organization, StopBadWare.org,
which should be StopBadware, and there's no way for me to edit this.

I just changed it manually as admin, but you're right -- there's a larger problem here with what fields users can control.
Bug 547790 - Users cannot edit all fields on public profile

* My e-mail address is also incorrect - should be
mwein...@stopbadware.org

Updated!

Thanks again Max!

=Max=

On Feb 18, 9:55 pm, Mark Surman <m...@mozillafoundation.org> wrote:
We're opening the web site to a few people who are leading Drumbeat
projects.

This thread is a place to feedback specifically on the process of
creating project pages on the site.

We know there is a ton that needs improvement. Please post concrete
suggestions for improvements here.

  ms

Mark Surman

未読、
2010/02/22 15:06:222010/02/22
To:
Hey Max (and all)

Thanks for this. Amazing. This is kind of feedback we need.

I'll let Matt answer on most of this as he knows what's filed as bugs
(alot of what you mention) and what's not (definitely some new stuff
you've flagged).

One small thing for Matt and the whole group:

> * When I look at the users for my project, I see that I'm listed as
> Manager and admin. I can't edit or change this. Publicly, I see myself
> as "Project Manager," which sounds more like a corporate job title and
> less like "Project Leader" or whatever one might want to call the
> person organizing a project. It might be nice for this to be user-
> editable.

I really like the suggestion of making this user editable. Especially as
I can see people wanting it to be something like 'Project Team' or
'Project Leads' (plural). Alot of these projects won't (and already
don't) have one leader.

ms

Richard A Milewski

未読、
2010/02/23 14:12:292010/02/23
To:
Project editing appears broken. Now that I've been set as the
Project Initiator for the K-12 project I do see the Project
Administration box on the screen.

However all I can change the picture and edit the contents of the
Detailed Description which appears to the right of the picture.None of
the other fields appear on the page now. They did yesterday, before
I was anointed Project Initiator. Logging out and coming back to the
page as a visitor does not make them visible.

The favicon on the site should probably be the Mozilla drum and not
the Drupal droid drop.

Matthew Thompson

未読、
2010/02/23 15:53:082010/02/23
To: The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Thanks Richard!

Based on feedback from folks yesterday, we've tried to simplify the project pages by rolling all the cumbersome old "project details" fields into a new single, big WYSIWYG field that gives project leads more flexibility and control. So that's why the old fields are gone.

Let me know or ping me on IRC if I can help out further?

As for the favicon, should be fixed now!

--Matt

Nicholas Reville

未読、
2010/02/23 15:56:472010/02/23
To:
I wanted to make a quick suggestion:

I think a lot of the drupal default registration forms and login forms
could be cleaned up-- they always come with extraneous text and weird
formatting. I would suggest finding a site with really clean and
simple signup and trying to copy it. Something like Tumblr or
37signals tools would be nice.

I expect that you'll get way more registrations if it's simplified.

nicholas

Ken Saunders

未読、
2010/02/25 22:15:152010/02/25
To:
Howdy all!
Okay, in no particular order (sorry about that), here goes.
You might want to print this out and when read it on the can when you
have more time.

What is it that you want the most from visitors and potential members?
To create projects, contribute to them, or just show some sort of
support?
My guess (at least for now) would be to create projects and imo, there
isn't hardly enough emphasis on that or encouragement for people to do
so. "Submit your own project idea to Drumbeat." is listed in the side
bar on the home, and projects pages when it should be displayed as a
main content block on the home page and as one of the first things
seen on the projects page, perhaps to the right of the search box
where's there's a lot of white space.
I'm not sure is this is common knowledge or a current bug, but the
search button isn't properly aligned as I see it (Vista, Fx 3.6). It's
below the tags drop down.
And maybe the "Submit your own project idea to Drumbeat." wording
should be changed. To me that sounds like I'm submitting an idea to
Drumbeat for consideration only. How about "Create your own Drumbeat
project NOW!!!! Ok, so not the now part.
And, "Learn what Drumbeat can do for you" somewhere would be cool too.

Alright, to the issues.

Add a preview option when editing Public Profile.

Unlike a project? I saw that someone else mentioned this and I think
that the option should be there too. Facebook uses Unlike and the
project initiator isn't going to see that a person has chosen to
unlike their project so it won't crush their self-esteem. :)

A way to leave projects?

Instead of "You LIKE this project", change the wording to You're a
project member, or contributor, or something altogether less lame then
what I just said. Well, actually, I suppose that "You LIKE this
project" needs to be there if a member likes the project but hasn't
joined it.

Email notices for new activities on subscribed projects would be
great.
The way that it is now, you're counting on members to remember to
return and they may simply forget to. We all follow and are involved
with a few thousand things. Keeping members updated keeps them engaged
and encourages them to participate.
One of the biggest flaws (imo) with SFx is not being notified about
new activity in the projects that I follow.
I have to use Update Scanner.

Ability to edit/delete comments made on project pages under the
comment made.
I can delete comments that I've made through my dashboard, but not
edit them, and I didn't even know that I had the option to delete them
until I viewed my dashboard.

I was a bit puzzled by the lack of a comment textarea when making a
comment. The only field provided that I could see was the Title one.
Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

Link member's avatars to their profiles in the people working on this
project block (and globally?)

Quicker/easier access to Projects that a member is following or
involved with (currently listed at the end of my profile page).
Perhaps a dedicated My Projects page is warranted listing the projects
that the member is contributing to (or just following) and the
projects that they've created. "Your Projects" and "Projects You're
Helping With" (needs tweaking of course)? I haven't created a project
yet to see how it is managed and accessed.

An aggregate of the latest news and activity from projects to the My
Drumbeat page (mentioned later) that a member is a part of would be a
good idea rather than having to go to each project page individually
which a lot of people may not do if they are involved in many
projects.

The next few paragraphs/sections are very important imo.
Navigation needs to be worked on.

Provide a My Drumbeat (or My Account) drop down menu in the top nav
bar with direct links to Dashboard, account settings, My Projects etc.
Currently, to reach The Dashboard members have to click on their
account name in the top nav bar > Edit > Dashboard

I believe that the/a Dashboard page should be the one that members see
when they click on their name in the top nav bar (if a drop down menu
isn't going to be implemented). A dashboard is typically a control
center and an access point so all of a member's options should be
listed on it. It saves a whole lot of clicking and page loading. I'd
suggest setting up a table or block type system/display for the
Dashboard. Something like the following.

My Projects:
Your Projects
View and edit projects that you've created
Projects You're Helping With
View the latest news and activity for the projects that you're
contributing to.

Profile:
Change or view your Public Profile.
Edit Public Profile

Account Settings:
Change your password, contact settings, email address etc.

And also add Notes, Signups, and so on.

The pages and activities that members will need, or want to access the
least should be displayed below blocks like the Account Settings one.
I don't find it useful (or necessary) at all to have my Public Profile
presented to me first when I click on my user name. And when I click
on Edit I'd expect to be able to edit my Public Profile because that's
what I'm currently viewing but as it stands, members have to click on
Public Profile to edit it.

As far as the current Dashboard page, I'd would just rename it to
something like My Drumbeat.

Occasionally, the main page of one of the projects that I'm involved
with appears in my dashboard. Currently though, it's hard to reproduce
so I'm reluctant to file a bug unless someone else has experienced the
same.

I know that everyone is very busy with Drumbeat and other activities,
so if you'd like help with filing bugs for any of these issues, just
point out the ones that you feel that bugs should be filed for and
I'll do it.

I haven't yet kicked the tires on creating a project and (of course)
management of it, but that's next.

I hope this helps

Oh, one last thing. I really believe that we should all be strongly
encouraging the use of open video on the site whether it's a video
that is to be uploaded, or linked to. It just makes perfect sense to
do it and helps our cause and goals overall, and of course any video
that is a Drumbeat production, or posted by a Drumbeat advocate or
team member (if there is such a thing) should be an open one with
fallback formats provided.
Perhaps a Convert your video to an open one block could be added
somewhere with links to resources to do so.

The project that I'll be starting will be about creating an open video
hosting and resource site (how to create, convert, embed, etc)
hopefully an official Mozilla one, or at least officially supported
one. Mozilla just providing support would leave the doors open for
other organizations to contribute to and proudly support. But on the
other hand, an official Mozilla one would benefit (and be more
successful) from Mozilla's resources like the marketing team, and
media channels and exposure, etc.

There are only a few sites that provide Theora hosting and to be frank
(I'll be Ken again in a minute), none of them are worth a damn. It's
hard finding Theora (only) videos on them, they are poorly categorized
if at all, they're ugly, not user friendly, and so if we all want
people to adopt and get excited about open video, then the
presentation for it needs to be packaged better, prettied up a lot,
made to be less foreign, and there needs to be a hip (Mozilla
branded?) hub for people to go to view, upload, download, embed from,
and learn about Theora. Such a site and service doesn't currently
exist.

Mozilla has access to 350 million plus Firefox users alone and once we
get them excited about and willing to use and even view open videos,
then they'll get others involved and excited about open video too the
same way that the geeks (primarily through SFx) got the World excited
about Firefox and for me, Firefox got me excited about Mozilla,
Mozilla got me excited about open source, and Mozilla provided the
info, tools, and resources, to use and support open source, so,
Mozilla providing an open video site would be another tool for people
to use and support the very thing that Mozilla is pushing.

A site like that would also motivate official Mozillians to use Theora
instead of Flash on YouTube, vimeo, Dailymotion and others when
creating Mozilla related videos that are more often than not for
current Firefox users. It should be a requirement anyway.
For the record, openvideo.dailymotion.com is one of the sites that I
feel fails as an open video provider. Theora videos are mixed in with
Flash ones so even when choosing a video on openvideo.dailymotion.com
you may get Flash (only) ones, plus it's hard to find open videos,
and, they disable/hide the context menu video options (Full Screen,
Save Video As... etc) which doesn't seem to open to me.

I actually don't know a whole lot about Theora itself, but I do know
why using and supporting it is important.

Sorry, I didn't expect to ramble on about all of that.

Ken

Matthew Thompson

未読、
2010/02/26 9:15:112010/02/26
To: The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Wow thanks for this Ken! This is outstanding analysis. I'm going through this now, dividing it up into bugs we can file. Will follow up in more detail later.

Thanks for all the thought and work that went into this. Extremely useful.

Working on it,

Matt

pa...@appcoast.com

未読、
2010/02/26 9:27:122010/02/26
To: The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat、Matthew Thompson
Hey, Ken!

Just wanted to echo what Matt just said :-)

I look forward to joining your project and helping out

Best, Paul

On 26/02/10 14:15, Matthew Thompson wrote:
> Wow thanks for this Ken! This is outstanding analysis. I'm going through this now, dividing it up into bugs we can file. Will follow up in more detail later.
>
> Thanks for all the thought and work that went into this. Extremely useful.
>
> Working on it,
>
> Matt
>

> On 2010-02-25, at 10:15 PM, Ken Saunders wrote:

graphicsguru

未読、
2010/02/26 16:13:032010/02/26
To: The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Ken have very good points most of the changes can be made in drupal
site admin user roles
Jamey Boje

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 9:27 AM, pa...@appcoast.com <pa...@appcoast.com> wrote:
> Hey, Ken!
>
> Just wanted to echo what Matt just said :-)
>
> I look forward to joining your project and helping out
>
> Best, Paul
>
> On 26/02/10 14:15, Matthew Thompson wrote:
>>
>> Wow thanks for this Ken! This is outstanding analysis.  I'm going through
>> this now, dividing it up into bugs we can file. Will follow up in more
>> detail later.
>>
>> Thanks for all the thought and work that went into this. Extremely useful.
>>
>> Working on it,
>>
>> Matt
>>

>> On 2010-02-25, at 10:15 PM, Ken Saunders wrote:

Ken Saunders

未読、
2010/02/26 22:54:232010/02/26
To: The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
That's what I was thinking/hoping Jamey. Especially for a/the drop down menu in the top bar for logged in members and the edit/delete comment option under comments made. A preview (comment) option would be cool too.

Ken