This morning's discussion around promotion plan

1 view

Matt Thompson

May 10, 2010, 4:02:36 PM5/10/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Wanted to make sure I captured good notes from today's conversation & questions about the promotion plan for Drumbeat's beta launch.
Especially since Mark and others travelling were unable to attend.

Did I miss anything here?

--Matt

Drumbeat Beta Promotion Plan
KEY RECOMMENDATIONS & QUESTIONS:

Build a more robust promotional plan & strategy
* Instead of just a list of "who's going to reach out to whom," support for a more robust plan that what we have so far at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/launchplan
* Questions about strategy & goals:
** Are we firing all of our guns at once, or taking a more phased approach that unfolds over weeks?
** e.g., Do we WANT to get slashdotted right away on May 17?
** Is Drumbeat beta launch the main news hook? Or do we lead with project-specific news hooks as well?

Need more confidence & trust in finished product
* Many expressed concern about sharing with some of their biggest contacts. They're worried the site won't be ready.

Take a phased approach, instead of "everything at once"
* Concern about wisdom of firing all guns at once, as opposed to "test, measure & fix" approach
* Start with the small fish (personal networks & smaller lists), then build up to the heavy-hitters (boingboing, slashdot, etc.)?

Testing & focus grouping
* Lots of support for testing with small groups before promoting to the masses.
* Suggestion to have unusual suspects (non-tech friends & family) test site first. For both messaging & functionality.

Build a promotional calendar for the next 1 - 3 months
* Support for creating a real promotional calendar for Drumbeat.
* Think about promotion & outreach over the next few months. Instead of just the week or two after beta launch.

Identify promotional & news hooks for major projects
* Identify important milestones for projects & get them on the promotional calendar. Get project leads thinking about promotional opportunities & dates. Roadmap.

Communicate more clearly to project leads when spikes in traffic will occur
* e.g., Universal Subtitles snippet. Were all project leads aware, and did they have a chance to prepare & optimize?

Use our best contacts wisely
* Bear in mind that Danah Boyd or boing boing will probably only write about us a limited number of times. So make sure timing is right.
e.g., Do we want Danah Boyd to show up May 17? Or May 30?

Larger Mozilla promotional strategy
* How has Mozilla run similar launches in the past?
* Are we issuing a press release?

NEXT STEPS:
* Loop in Mark and others who weren't on today's call.
* Brainstorm & list promotion & outreach possibilities here:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Adfxrz4d0vELZGRwcHIzdnBfMjA2Y2QzNWhiaGQ&hl=en
* Brett to update project roadmap. Share & use as template for other projects. Stress promotional opportunity for project.

Ken Saunders

May 10, 2010, 8:26:12 PM5/10/10
I don't think that the firing all guns at once approach is a good idea
for anything that isn't a final release product. It's kind of a waste
of resources because it would be harder to get any excitement and
interest going when Drumbeat comes out of beta. Kind of like, "Ya, we
already heard about that".
If you want to call Drumbeat a project, then that's different, fire
away.

For now I would suggest getting a buzz going by more word of mouth
methods through personal non-official social networking channels
(Drumbeat ones would be fine, but not Mozilla), blog posts by
Mozillians, etc, and stay away from an official press release and big
sites. If they pick up on the buzz and run with it, cool, if not, no
big deal and then Mozilla can't be accused of launching something
that's incomplete or not fully ready for public consumption (or doing
something in a half a** way).

Any chance of getting Mary Colvig in on this? I'm aware of her
position with MoCo, but I'm not sure about MoFo. If anything, she
could provide some advice and feedback.

Other thoughts.

"Ways to get people engaged:
* Sign up for Drumbeat now (what do you get for that?)"

(Aside from making the Internet more open, accessible, and better for
all)
Automatic entry into monthly random drawing for Drumbeat giveaway
pack. Mozilla Drumbeat t-shirts, other garb and goodies, etc.

"Ways to drive traffic: "
Blog/web site promotional buttons and graphics. Add to SFx affiliates
program too and award points for new Drumbeat sign-ups like Fx
downloads.

Call for Drumbeat (site) beta testers.

Finally, why wouldn't Mozilla consider hiring someone to head up
Drumbeat marketing/PR?

Ken

On May 10, 4:02 pm, Matt Thompson <mthompson2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wanted to make sure I captured good notes from today's conversation & questions about the promotion plan for Drumbeat's beta launch.
> Especially since Mark and others travelling were unable to attend.
>
> Did I miss anything here?
>
> --Matt
>
> Drumbeat Beta Promotion Plan
> KEY RECOMMENDATIONS & QUESTIONS:
>
> Build a more robust promotional plan & strategy

> * Instead of just a list of "who's going to reach out to whom," support for a more robust plan that what we have so far athttps://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/launchplan

> * Brainstorm & list promotion & outreach possibilities here:http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Adfxrz4d0vELZGRwcHIzdnBfMjA2Y2QzNWh...

pa...@appcoast.com

May 11, 2010, 7:03:04 AM5/11/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, Ken Saunders
Hey , Ken!

Great advice as always ;-)

Best,
Paul Booker
Appcoast

>> Wanted to make sure I captured good notes from today's conversation& questions about the promotion plan for Drumbeat's beta launch.

>> Especially since Mark and others travelling were unable to attend.
>>
>> Did I miss anything here?
>>
>> --Matt
>>
>> Drumbeat Beta Promotion Plan

>> KEY RECOMMENDATIONS& QUESTIONS:
>>
>> Build a more robust promotional plan& strategy

>> * Instead of just a list of "who's going to reach out to whom," support for a more robust plan that what we have so far athttps://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/launchplan

>> * Questions about strategy& goals:

>> ** Are we firing all of our guns at once, or taking a more phased approach that unfolds over weeks?
>> ** e.g., Do we WANT to get slashdotted right away on May 17?
>> ** Is Drumbeat beta launch the main news hook? Or do we lead with project-specific news hooks as well?
>>

>> Need more confidence& trust in finished product

>> * Many expressed concern about sharing with some of their biggest contacts. They're worried the site won't be ready.
>>
>> Take a phased approach, instead of "everything at once"

>> * Concern about wisdom of firing all guns at once, as opposed to "test, measure& fix" approach
>> * Start with the small fish (personal networks& smaller lists), then build up to the heavy-hitters (boingboing, slashdot, etc.)?
>>
>> Testing& focus grouping

>> * Lots of support for testing with small groups before promoting to the masses.

>> * Suggestion to have unusual suspects (non-tech friends& family) test site first. For both messaging& functionality.

>> Build a promotional calendar for the next 1 - 3 months
>> * Support for creating a real promotional calendar for Drumbeat.

>> * Think about promotion& outreach over the next few months. Instead of just the week or two after beta launch.
>>
>> Identify promotional& news hooks for major projects
>> * Identify important milestones for projects& get them on the promotional calendar. Get project leads thinking about promotional opportunities& dates. Roadmap.

>> Communicate more clearly to project leads when spikes in traffic will occur

>> * e.g., Universal Subtitles snippet. Were all project leads aware, and did they have a chance to prepare& optimize?

>> Use our best contacts wisely
>> * Bear in mind that Danah Boyd or boing boing will probably only write about us a limited number of times. So make sure timing is right.
>> e.g., Do we want Danah Boyd to show up May 17? Or May 30?
>>
>> Larger Mozilla promotional strategy
>> * How has Mozilla run similar launches in the past?
>> * Are we issuing a press release?
>>
>> NEXT STEPS:
>> * Loop in Mark and others who weren't on today's call.

>> * Brainstorm& list promotion& outreach possibilities here:http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Adfxrz4d0vELZGRwcHIzdnBfMjA2Y2QzNWh...
>> * Brett to update project roadmap. Share& use as template for other projects. Stress promotional opportunity for project.

Matt Thompson

May 11, 2010, 9:44:44 AM5/11/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Thanks Ken. Some terrific ideas here.

Matt

CaseyFarmer24

Oct 26, 2011, 7:57:08 AM10/26/11