What headline would you put on Drumbeat's new front page?

Matt Thompson

Jan 24, 2011, 10:52:21 AM1/24/11
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Some early ideas in this post:

Drumbeat’s new front page: [insert awesome here]
http://bit.ly/e4E88b

This is a tough bit of copy to write. Hoping someone here will have the magic answer! :)

--Matt

Majken Connor

Jan 24, 2011, 4:18:23 PM1/24/11
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Ooh this kind of challenge is my specialty!

so obviously we don't want to be saying what they'll literally be doing,
because "write letters!" doesn't really call anyone to action.

A play on "Save the cheerleader, Save the world" would be fun. "Save the
Open Web, Save the World" might be too dramatic, though. Otherwise it's
perfect, a clear goal and a clear reward, both in a positive tone.

If anyone has some other sayings or quotes or references I'd be happy to
play on them, too, see what we get. Drawing a blank myself.

-Majken "Lucy" Connor

Nathaniel James

Jan 24, 2011, 4:28:49 PM1/24/11
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Brainstorm response to...

> . "Save the Open Web, Save the World"

"Build the Open Web. Build the Future."

Again, maybe a little grandiose, but we're that cool, right?

NJ

Laura Hilliger

Jan 24, 2011, 4:40:49 PM1/24/11
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Yes we are all definitely that cool, but the response I always get from "Everyday Guy/Girl" is "WTF is "open" supposed to mean anyway?" Sort of seems like getting more people involved and excited about everything Drumbeat is means not ostracizing people who are unfamiliar with the idea of Open Web. I know plenty of people who are semi web savvy, but have never participated in this sort of community. They'll learn about it, if we get them in the door. Until then, maybe "dumbing" it down a bit?

Just a thought. Too bad I don't have any brilliant ideas for taglines to back that up, but its almost 11pm and my brain hurts.

--laura

Laura F. Hilliger
Big Fun Arts
Learn. Share. Create.
http://www.bigfunarts.com
la...@bigfunarts.com

fa...@free.fr

Jan 24, 2011, 4:35:37 PM1/24/11
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
> Brainstorm response to...
> > . "Save the Open Web, Save the World"
> "Build the Open Web. Build the Future."

Fight for the open Web, protect the future.
I think "open" should remain without a capital letter. It's
more a characteristic than a thing...

Fab.

--
Praxeme : http://www.praxeme.org - Twitter @praxeme
ETM : http://www.enterprisetransformationmanifesto.org/

Paul Osman

Jan 24, 2011, 4:49:37 PM1/24/11
to community...@lists.mozilla.org
On 11-01-24 04:40 PM, Laura Hilliger wrote:
> the response I always get from "Everyday Guy/Girl" is "WTF is "open" supposed to mean anyway?"

I agree, and it's not just confusing to the uninitiated. The term "open"
is so overloaded, it's not an easy thing to communicate. Maybe we should
consider playing it down unless we add a qualifier -- as in "open what"
-- beyond the equally vague "web".

-p

> On Jan 24, 2011, at 10:28 PM, Nathaniel James wrote:
>

>> Brainstorm response to...
>>
>>> . "Save the Open Web, Save the World"
>>
>> "Build the Open Web. Build the Future."

fa...@free.fr

Jan 24, 2011, 4:48:08 PM1/24/11
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
> Yes we are all definitely that cool, but the response I always get

> from "Everyday Guy/Girl" is "WTF is "open" supposed to mean anyway?"

This is very tough: we know what we don't want (closed or
proprietary Web) and have a lot of examples to show that. On the
other hand "open" can not be defined because of the openess itself:
"open" is "all except closed".

Fab.

--
I know the power of words.
I know the toxin of words.

Kerim Kalamujic

Jan 24, 2011, 5:10:59 PM1/24/11
to community...@lists.mozilla.org
Why not stick to our "Learn things. Make friends. Build stuff." (or
whatever is the correct version) thingy? It's pretty slick and kind of
describes the point of the Drumbeat project.

Paul Osman

Jan 24, 2011, 5:13:54 PM1/24/11
to fa...@free.fr, The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
On 11-01-24 04:48 PM, fa...@free.fr wrote:
>> Yes we are all definitely that cool, but the response I always get
>> from "Everyday Guy/Girl" is "WTF is "open" supposed to mean anyway?"
>
> This is very tough: we know what we don't want (closed or
> proprietary Web) and have a lot of examples to show that. On the
> other hand "open" can not be defined because of the openess itself:
> "open" is "all except closed".
>
> Fab.

Might be helpful to remember that this problem came up with open source
software (people debating definitions) and the solution was the
formation of the OSI (Open Source Initiative) who would approve various
open source licenses. Now, when you tell someone that "x is open
source", you're really saying "x is published under an OSI approved
license". The closest thing we have in our world is the OWF (Open Web
Foundation), but they deal in non-proprietary specifications for web
technologies. This doesn't really interest non-technical folks (perhaps
it should?) so the term itself isn't useful for explaining Drumbeat.

I think words that focus on what people *do* are better than vague
adjectives. If we lead with "Build" for instance, something like "Build
the Web", then by implication we mean the parts of the web that are open
(because we're inviting people to build it).

-p

pa...@ilovetheopenweb.org

Jan 24, 2011, 5:36:58 PM1/24/11
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, Paul Osman, fa...@free.fr

> I think words that focus on what people *do* are better than vague
> adjectives. If we lead with "Build" for instance, something like
> "Build the Web", then by implication we mean the parts of the web that
> are open (because we're inviting people to build it).

+1

Build the web. Love freedom OR Love freedom. Build the web.

fa...@free.fr

Jan 24, 2011, 5:36:41 PM1/24/11
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat

But how to be sure that the built web will be "open" ? It's less
a matter of building the Web (which will be built anyway) but of
building a *certain* Web with some characteristics like openness and fairness.
Fab.

Majken Connor

Jan 25, 2011, 12:50:33 AM1/25/11
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Oy, we're really behind if we have to worry about what things like "open"
and "web" means! ;)

"Build the web, build the future" is pretty cool, though it's too far away
from the original to count as a play on it.

"Learn things. Make friends. Build stuff." - this is really dull and not
informative. It doesn't clearly communicate a goal nor a reward. "make
friends" is obviously a reward, but this is not unique. Most people know how
to make friends. Build is also daunting as drumbeat is appealing to
non-coders and the word build has heavy connotations towards coding, and to
very hard work otherwise. Don't get me wrong, it's charming and
non-chalant, but it seems to be better for people already involved.

I like the word future. I think rather than trying to come up with better
words to express what type of open we mean we should focus on what the open
web affects. All of this is really about the future, shaping it from the
start.

"This is your future..."
"It's the future..."

and the second half would be an action statement like "where will you take
it?" Is there some catch phrase that ended in "where will it take you?"

I think we need to pick a target audience though. To catch the attention of
newbs we have to be *very* vague. I think it wouldn't be wrong to include
"open web" in the line in a way that makes people want to learn what that
means, but is more clear to people who are a bit more savvy.

-Lucy

Jaime García Marsá

Jan 25, 2011, 7:09:54 AM1/25/11
"Share projects, change the Web"

There must be a reference to collaboration, share of ideas or buiding
"together".

Also it can be "change the world", because some projects go beyond the
Web, and maybe "Ideas" instead of projects

"Share ideas, change the world"

Pretentious? May be, but I really believed this innitiative is going
to change the world as soon as I saw it yesterday.

> > Praxeme :http://www.praxeme.org- Twitter @praxeme

> >    ETM :http://www.enterprisetransformationmanifesto.org/
> >   Blog :http://friends.praxeme.org
> >  Photos :http://krohorl.free.fr

Matt Thompson

Jan 25, 2011, 7:22:53 AM1/25/11
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
There's something simple and compelling about "Share projects." I think
you're onto something here...

Salve J Nilsen

Jan 25, 2011, 7:28:25 AM1/25/11
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, Paul Osman, fa...@free.fr
Hi!

pa...@ilovetheopenweb.org said:

>> I think words that focus on what people *do* are better than vague
>> adjectives. If we lead with "Build" for instance, something like
>> "Build the Web", then by implication we mean the parts of the web
>> that are open (because we're inviting people to build it).
>
> +1
>
> Build the web. Love freedom OR Love freedom. Build the web.

/me like.

Here's my $0.02's worth: "Together, we Build the Web"

- Salve (delurking, and going back to lurking again :)

--
#!/usr/bin/perl
sub AUTOLOAD{$AUTOLOAD=~/.*::(\d+)/;seek(DATA,$1,0);print# Salve Joshua Nilsen

Carlo Frinolli | nois3lab

Jan 25, 2011, 7:37:14 AM1/25/11

On Jan 25, 2011, at 1:09 PM, Jaime García Marsá wrote:

> "Share projects, change the Web"

+1

If I may add my two cents, I personally love the idea to get "change the web" into something more like "help changing the web".
Which, I feel, is a bit more collaborative than the action itself.

I think it would be great if we find a formula that implies ideas and projects. Something very roughly like "Share ideas and projects, help changing the web".
A bit too long tho.

---
Carlo Frinolli
[ creative director ]

[www] http://nois3lab.it
[blog] http://blog.nois3lab.it
[tweets] @nois3lab
via Atripalda 12, 00177 Roma
[tweets] @carl0s_
[skype] carlo_nois3lab
[ph.n] +39.06.45.55.34.46
[mobile] +393473112050

Karl Dubost

Jan 25, 2011, 8:24:09 AM1/25/11
to Matt Thompson, The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat

Le 24 janv. 2011 à 10:52, Matt Thompson a écrit :
> Drumbeat’s new front page: [insert awesome here]
> http://bit.ly/e4E88b

Embrace, Build and Share.

--
Karl Dubost
Montréal, QC, Canada

Alejandro Felix Raimundo Rodriguez

Jan 25, 2011, 9:40:31 AM1/25/11
to community...@lists.mozilla.org
Please don,t send me more Mozilla drumbeat Sessage . !Is Spam!

On Jan 25, 2011, at 3:40 PM, Alejandro Felix Raimundo Rodriguez wrote:

> Please don,t send me more Mozilla drumbeat Sessage . !Is Spam!

It fairly easier if you click here
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/community-drumbeat

and just unsubscribe.
It's plain and respectful exactly like the day you decided to subscribe this list.
:)

Robert Kaiser

Jan 25, 2011, 10:36:48 AM1/25/11
fa...@free.fr schrieb:

> Fight for the open Web, protect the future.

I think we should leave out fighting and warfare if possible.

Robert Kaiser

--
Note that any statements of mine - no matter how passionate - are never
meant to be offensive but very often as food for thought or possible

Majken Connor

Jan 25, 2011, 11:47:41 AM1/25/11
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
"Share projects" is descriptive, but again, not emotionally compelling. It
also implies you have to bring your own project.

Think a bit like a Republican for a minute. Their talking points work
because they hit an emotional nerve. Our new Mayor in Toronto won using
these two catch phrases "Respect for the taxpayer" and "stop the gravy
train." Neither are informative in the least, but they got him elected
because of the feelings those phrases illicit.

We can't possibly explain drumbeat in the headline. What we have to do is
catch the attention and compel visitors who would want to help to read more.

"protect the future" in this regard is great. It's accurate, but it's also
emotional. We might be uncomfortable with implying that the future is under
attack, but in the end, that's exactly what drumbeat is about.

I don't know enough sci fi but I was thinking some sort of play on that
would be funny - "Preventing 1984 since 2010" but maybe better for inside
the community ;)

I'm wondering though, should we make it relate to the overall metaphor
"drumbeat" or does that not matter?

-Lucy

pa...@ilovetheopenweb.org

Jan 25, 2011, 12:06:33 PM1/25/11
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, Majken Connor
Nice comments from Lucy. I agree that we need to hit an "emotional
nerve" that
draws folks into the community not sure if the Drumbeat metaphor has ever
managed that [thinking..]

On 25/01/2011 16:47, Majken Connor wrote:
> "Share projects" is descriptive, but again, not emotionally compelling. It
> also implies you have to bring your own project.
>
> Think a bit like a Republican for a minute. Their talking points work
> because they hit an emotional nerve. Our new Mayor in Toronto won using
> these two catch phrases "Respect for the taxpayer" and "stop the gravy
> train." Neither are informative in the least, but they got him elected
> because of the feelings those phrases illicit.
>
> We can't possibly explain drumbeat in the headline. What we have to do is
> catch the attention and compel visitors who would want to help to read more.
>
> "protect the future" in this regard is great. It's accurate, but it's also
> emotional. We might be uncomfortable with implying that the future is under
> attack, but in the end, that's exactly what drumbeat is about.
>
> I don't know enough sci fi but I was thinking some sort of play on that
> would be funny - "Preventing 1984 since 2010" but maybe better for inside
> the community ;)
>
> I'm wondering though, should we make it relate to the overall metaphor
> "drumbeat" or does that not matter?
>
> -Lucy

Irwin Oostindie • W2

Jan 25, 2011, 12:08:10 PM1/25/11
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
I have been following the thread and also agree with Lucy's comments and
approach.

Irwin

Irwin Oostindie,
Executive Director

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ W2 Community Media Arts Society,
www.creativetechnology.org | ir...@creativetechnology.org
Twitter: @W2Woodwards | Skype: irwin_oostindie |
Mobile: 604.644.4349 |

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ Programming: W2 Storyeum, 151 West Cordova St,
Vancouver, BC V6B 1E1

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ Administration: W2 Woodward's, #250-111 W Hastings,
Vancouver, BC, V6B 1H4.
Phone: 604.689.9896. Office located in the
Woodward's heritage building, facing London Drugs/Nester's.

fa...@free.fr

Jan 25, 2011, 12:13:03 PM1/25/11
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
> I don't know enough sci fi but I was thinking some sort of play on
> that would be funny - "Preventing 1984 since 2010" but maybe better
> for inside the community ;)

This is a great idea. "Preventing 1984 since xxx" has very
good connotations:
- Preventing, it's more than a wish for the future, it's also
a fact from the past carrying freedom.
- 1984: obvious reference to danger while avoiding goldwin
point related reproaches.
- Since xxx: this brings tradition, fairness, and wisdom.

I like it.
Fab.

--
The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they
call their point of view. Albert Einstein

Karl Dubost

Jan 25, 2011, 12:43:25 PM1/25/11
to Majken Connor, The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat

Le 25 janv. 2011 à 11:47, Majken Connor a écrit :
> I don't know enough sci fi but I was thinking some sort of play on that
> would be funny - "Preventing 1984 since 2010" but maybe better for inside
> the community ;)

Unfortunately, "1984" (totalitarianism)
is a lot easier to fight
than "Brave New World" (Perfect society).

What we are currently living in our technology usage and companies, organization, etc. is the abandon of choice and critical thinking[1]. btw, Orwell was not targeting his novel "1984" against communism or fascism, but at any state that would promote a unique way of thinking and forbids contradiction. The action is set in England and it was published just after the war, when England had its load of Propaganda. "Brave New World" is happening when put everything into rationale terms, when we bend over logic and we make ourselves as machines, when we believe instead of understanding (happening for examples in sects).

We are a lot more into a "brave new world" than "1984".
http://www.egodialogues.com/words-language/huxley-orwell.php

Sorry for the digression

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_thinking

Majken Connor

Jan 25, 2011, 3:10:12 PM1/25/11
to Karl Dubost, The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
ha true! but it's not as catchy, plus I think this is exactly the kind of
debate the headline would spark and that's besides the point. I don't know
if there are any "catchy" ways to use "brave new world" but maybe someone
will think of one. Not a serious suggestion but "A whole new [strikeout]
brave new [/s] world!" Sci Fi and Disney in one ;)

As for the drum, I think there are possibilities, but they're a bit of a
challenge. In NA the terms "dancing to the beat of your own drum" or
"marching to..." are phrases used to talk about how you live your life, I
think they're references to military drums, but it's far enough removed I
think.

"What beat will the web [move] to?"

"Be the drummer the web [moves] to"

something about creating the beat of the drum that powers the web.

Marco Casteleijn (aka up north)

Jan 26, 2011, 1:27:13 AM1/26/11
On Jan 25, 7:43 pm, Karl Dubost <k...@la-grange.net> wrote:
> Le 25 janv. 2011 à 11:47, Majken Connor a écrit :
>
> > I don't know enough sci fi but I was thinking some sort of play on that
> > would be funny - "Preventing 1984 since 2010" but maybe better for inside
> > the community ;)
>
> Unfortunately, "1984" (totalitarianism)
> is a lot easier to fight
> than "Brave New World" (Perfect society).
>
> What we are currently living in our technology usage and companies, organization, etc. is the abandon of choice and critical thinking[1]. btw, Orwell was not targeting his novel "1984" against communism or fascism, but at any state that would promote a unique way of thinking and forbids contradiction. The action is set in England and it was published just after the war, when England had its load of Propaganda. "Brave New World" is happening when put everything into rationale terms, when we bend over logic and we make ourselves as machines, when we believe instead of understanding (happening for examples in sects).
>
> We are a lot more into a "brave new world" than "1984".http://www.egodialogues.com/words-language/huxley-orwell.php

> Sorry for the digression
>
> [1]:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_thinking
>
> --
> Karl Dubost
> Montréal, QC, Canadahttp://www.la-grange.net/karl/

Just like this topic and am working on some OpenWeb project myself I
can't help but read this important post.

Just summarizing it up to now I can only come up with:

"We do, We build, help changing the web"

or

"We act, We build, Come help changing the web"

It implies an 'us' feeling of a community, it implies action and doing
stuff, it implies that 'your input' (yes you that guy that is not yet
in our community, but we know you can do stuff and build stuff), it
implies change and web is a good as a term as in comes to the internet
as any...

Marco Casteleijn

Majken Connor

Jan 26, 2011, 3:40:26 PM1/26/11
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
ok so this isn't really a headline, but it's a children's song maybe we can
work this in, it's by Raffi:

It's mine but you can have some.
With you, I'd like to share it!
For if I share it with you,
You'll have some, too!

Ok so except for the "it's mine" at the beginning. :-p

So for now the words people are liking are (feel free to add more):

Future (e)(g)
Share (e)(g)
Build (g)(a soft e, depends on contect)
Open (g)
Web (g)
Learn (g)(this might be an e for some with the right context)
Protect (g)(e)

e = emotion provoking
g = goal/reward describing

And it would be nice to work in:

Beat, rhythm, pulse. (all would be e)

"Share the beat, share the future" ?

Maybe a different word instead of the second share?

"Share the beat, build the future"

I don't think share and protect go together.

"Learn the beat, share the future"

Marco Casteleijn (aka up north)

Jan 27, 2011, 5:02:50 AM1/27/11

Yeah, what if it was not a slogan, but a song? Why not be different?

Majken Connor

Jan 27, 2011, 2:08:50 PM1/27/11
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Well, not sure we can fit a song in the header, something still needs to go
there ;) But I think it would be great if we used the Raffi song somehow!

Ok so lying in bed last night I thought of some more plays on my last
suggestion, let's hope I can remember them!

So I think maybe we want to use rhythm, not beat. Beat is repetitive from
Drumbeat and so when you say Drumbeat and the slogan together it might not
sound right.

So the new iteration is 3 parts, not two, which allows to add open. The
action words are change, share, open, and the things are "rhythm, web,
future" and combine them.

"Open the web, share the rhythm, change the future"

"Change the rhythm, Share the web, open the future"

And really iterate and so on.

My last one could also be "Change the beat, share the web, release the
future"

The order could be mixed around, too, but in this last order it gets bigger
and bigger - 1) change the beat is personal 2) share the web is
participatory, it's the larger group 3) release the future, this is the
consequence that affects *Everyone*

"Change the beat, release the web, share the world"

Remember to say anything with beat, with drumbeat in front, and try
replacing beat with rhythm, see which one feels best.

Miraj Khaled

Jan 27, 2011, 5:01:54 PM1/27/11
my C$ .3:

"Open Web | Open Minds | Open World"

optional tagline: 'Keep the Web Open, Free Your Minds and Explore
Freedom'

miraj

Miraj Khaled
Vancouver, Canada
www.twitter.com/asterix

Marco Casteleijn (aka up north)

Jan 28, 2011, 4:47:17 PM1/28/11

""Change the rhythm, Share the web, open the future" "

has a + 1 for me. People know music, and changing rhythms, people and
the web is all about sharing, and an open future always sounds
attractive. Especially the Change the rhythm part catches my eye
intermediately.

Majken Connor

Jan 31, 2011, 3:27:27 PM1/31/11
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
So am I close? I agree with Marco, the last one I made up is my favorite.

"Change the rhythm, Share the web, open the future"

Maybe it's time to do a round-up of the proposals?

BTW I really do like everything people are coming up with, I'm just focusing
on the direction I chose. I really like "Open Web, Open Minds, Open World"
but I would use it as headers on a document.

Open Web

-This would be a brief but an explanation of what "open web" is technically

Open Minds

-This would talk about the freedom it gives individuals to work and create

Open World

-This would explain how those two things add up to creating more freedom and
allows us to interact globally. Like a universal language.

I think this would make a great slogan for a campaign. You could make some
cool graphics around it, too.

Matt Thompson

Jan 31, 2011, 3:40:17 PM1/31/11
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Hi, Majken. I'm actually working on a round-up post now. Will post here when it's done.

--Matt

On 2011-01-31, at 3:27 PM, Majken Connor wrote:

> So am I close? I agree with Marco, the last one I made up is my favorite.
>

> "Change the rhythm, Share the web, open the future"
>

> Maybe it's time to do a round-up of the proposals?
>
> BTW I really do like everything people are coming up with, I'm just focusing
> on the direction I chose. I really like "Open Web, Open Minds, Open World"
> but I would use it as headers on a document.
>
> Open Web
>
> -This would be a brief but an explanation of what "open web" is technically
>
> Open Minds
>
> -This would talk about the freedom it gives individuals to work and create
>
> Open World
>
> -This would explain how those two things add up to creating more freedom and
> allows us to interact globally. Like a universal language.
>
> I think this would make a great slogan for a campaign. You could make some
> cool graphics around it, too.
>
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 4:47 PM, Marco Casteleijn (aka up north) <

Matt Thompson

Feb 1, 2011, 10:59:19 AM2/1/11
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
This thread has been really inspiring and helpful for me. Thank you to everyone for contributing ideas -- this is a tough bit of copy to write!

Here's a new post that includes a round-up of what has been most inspiring and useful to me personally.
Including a word cloud that helps show where our thinking overlaps:

Your feedback on Drumbeat’s new messaging
http://mzl.la/ffKLQy

I'm going to write a follow-up post with some new specific proposals later today --
but for now, just wanted to collect some of the awesomeness shared thus far.

--Matt