Need feedback: Drumbeat Festival 2010

Mark Surman

Jun 7, 2010, 7:23:31 AM6/7/10
Hi all

We're in the midst of nailing down the vision and location for the
Drumbeat Festival for 2010.

The idea has always been that there is a particular 'theme' each year.
We're thinking about 'learning, freedom and the web' this year.

Location and timewise, we're committed to Europe at the beginning of
November. Berlin and Barcelona are leading venue options.

Please take a look at the blurbage below. Interested in feedback on this
and on location.

We'll probably be sending out a 'save the date' by mid week. So, quick
feedback is most valuable.

- ms

Mozilla Drumbeat 2010:
Learning, freedom and the web

Save the date: November xx, 2010
Location: [Barcelona? Berlin?]

Learning, freedom and the web are connected. This connection has huge
potential. The technology and culture of the internet offer the raw
material to put people in control of their own learning in a massive and
transformative way. At the same time, teachers and learners can play a
critical in ensuring that these raw materials -- and the internet as a
whole -- remain open and free. This will be the focus of Mozilla's first
annual Drumbeat Festival: gathering passionate and practical people who
are experimenting, inventing, creating, exploring and building things at
the intersection of learning, freedom and the web.

Sign up now to keep informed:
xxxxxx

* What? Shaping the future of learning right now.

Drumbeat Festival 2010 will showcase people, ideas and projects with
huge potential. Things like:

1. A secure 'data backpack' where students control their own learning
materials and credentials
2. Libraries transformed into digtal garages where kids learn to make,
do and create with an agile, hacker attitude
3. Massively scaled apprenticeship, we people learn by diving into the
world of open source master craftspeople
4. Hackerspaces where people teach each other about everything from
robots to lasers to knitting
5. Alternative accreditation models based on web and open source peer
review techniques

The idea is to gather people working on ideas like this -- and people
with all the puzzle pieces needed to make them real at a massive scale.
Data portability. Open educational resources. Secure, decentralized
storage in the cloud. Open content licenses. Agile thinking. Open, user
controlled online identity. Massive, credible informal learning
opportunities. Passion.

* Who? Inventors. Learners. Hackers. Teachers. Artists. You!

The good news: we have all these puzzle pieces in our hands already. We
just need the right people to get into a room and use them. That's the
spirit of the Drumbeat Festival.

People and orgs we'll invite to Barcelona include: Web tech companies.
P2P University course leaders. Digital learning startups. Hackerspaces.
Creative Commoners. Online identity experts.Wikipedians. Software
developers. Filmmakers. Web standards nerds. Open web activists.
Artists. Web developers.
Teachers. Foundations. And, of course, learners of all stripes.

* Why is Mozilla doing this?

We believe that everyone has a role in keeping the web open and vibrant.
That's why we started Mozilla Drumbeat: a collection of practical
projects and local events that gather smart, creative people around big
ideas that improve the open web. The annual Drumbeat Festival is a part
of this, bringing together people doing things at the intersection of
the open web and other important aspects of our society. The first
Festival will focus on the connection between learning, freedom and the
web.

--

Mozilla Drumbeat 2010: Learning, freedom and the web

Sign up here if you want us to keep you informed:
xxxxxx

Bogomil "Bogo" Shopov - Mozilla Bulgaria

Jun 7, 2010, 8:18:52 AM6/7/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
On 06/07/2010 02:23 PM, Mark Surman wrote:
> Hi all
>
> We're in the midst of nailing down the vision and location for the
> Drumbeat Festival for 2010.
>
> The idea has always been that there is a particular 'theme' each year.
> We're thinking about 'learning, freedom and the web' this year.
Maybe something like "Learning, freedom and your role in the Web".

For the location I prefer something in the centre of Europe. (Like
Prague for example or Zurich). If we want to make a huge event with a
lot of participants we should think about that too and where are the
most active communities in Europe also.

Bogo

Bogomil "Bogo" Shopov
Mozilla Bulgaria
http://bgzilla.org

http://mozgull.bogomil.info
+359 897 615128

Alina Mierluș

Jun 7, 2010, 9:17:26 AM6/7/10
to b...@bgzilla.org, The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, Mark Surman
Hi all,

Mark, I really love the proposed theme and the description of the
Festival. I find it simple, easy to understand and appropriate for the
target audience.
Regarding the location, I would suggest Barcelona! In November the
weather is good and we (the Catalan community) know some spaces to host the
event and could help with organizing (I think that is very important to have
people on the ground).

Also, Barcelona is very accessible and the flights/accommodation are usually
cheaper in November.

-Alina M.

2010/6/7 Bogomil "Bogo" Shopov - Mozilla Bulgaria <b...@bgzilla.org>

> On 06/07/2010 02:23 PM, Mark Surman wrote:

> > Hi all
> >
> > We're in the midst of nailing down the vision and location for the
> > Drumbeat Festival for 2010.
> >
> > The idea has always been that there is a particular 'theme' each year.
> > We're thinking about 'learning, freedom and the web' this year.

> Maybe something like "Learning, freedom and your role in the Web".
>
> For the location I prefer something in the centre of Europe. (Like
> Prague for example or Zurich). If we want to make a huge event with a
> lot of participants we should think about that too and where are the
> most active communities in Europe also.
>

> Bogo

> --
> Bogomil "Bogo" Shopov
> Mozilla Bulgaria
> http://bgzilla.org
>
> http://mozgull.bogomil.info
> +359 897 615128

Alina Mierluș
Community engagement, Mozilla Foundation
www.mozilla.org

al...@mozillafoundation.org
www.alinamierlus.com

Matt Thompson

Jun 7, 2010, 9:48:45 AM6/7/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
+1!

I also really like the proposed theme and language. An emphasis on learning and education makes it easy for people to understand the public benefit and social impact of our work. It leverages strong values that everyone can get behind. Seems like a perfect way to make something broad and abstract more digestible and concrete.

Especially love the language around transforming libraries into "maker / builder" centers. Sweet!

--Matt

On 2010-06-07, at 9:17 AM, Alina Mierluș wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Mark, I really love the proposed theme and the description of the
> Festival. I find it simple, easy to understand and appropriate for the
> target audience.
> Regarding the location, I would suggest Barcelona! In November the
> weather is good and we (the Catalan community) know some spaces to host the
> event and could help with organizing (I think that is very important to have
> people on the ground).
>
> Also, Barcelona is very accessible and the flights/accommodation are usually
> cheaper in November.
>
> -Alina M.
>
> 2010/6/7 Bogomil "Bogo" Shopov - Mozilla Bulgaria <b...@bgzilla.org>
>
>> On 06/07/2010 02:23 PM, Mark Surman wrote:

>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> We're in the midst of nailing down the vision and location for the
>>> Drumbeat Festival for 2010.
>>>
>>> The idea has always been that there is a particular 'theme' each year.
>>> We're thinking about 'learning, freedom and the web' this year.

>> Maybe something like "Learning, freedom and your role in the Web".
>>
>> For the location I prefer something in the centre of Europe. (Like
>> Prague for example or Zurich). If we want to make a huge event with a
>> lot of participants we should think about that too and where are the
>> most active communities in Europe also.
>>

>> Bogo

Carsten Book

Jun 7, 2010, 2:23:22 PM6/7/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, Mark Surman
Hi,

i really like the Idea of getting to Berlin. With "Freedom" and this
former divided city and culture in this multi-cultural and international
city is a good big sign i think. Also i think that Berlin has some of
this Drumbeat style Event locations.

- Tomcat

Kerim Kalamujic

Jun 8, 2010, 2:55:26 AM6/8/10
to community...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi all,

"learning, freedom and the Web" is a superb slogan! I don't like it -
I'm in love with it :)

Quoting Mark Surman <ma...@mozillafoundation.org>:

Kerim Kalamujic

Community Ninja
Mozilla Community of Bosnia and Herzegovina

phone : +38761374961
email : ke...@mozilla.ba
website: www.mozilla.ba
blog : www.goddamnyou.info

Franco Iacomella

Jun 9, 2010, 5:50:58 AM6/9/10
Hello! Here Franco Iacomella from the Free Knowledge Institute (http://
freeknowledge.eu) and others.

On 7 jun, 08:23, Mark Surman <m...@mozillafoundation.org> wrote:
> Save the date: November xx, 2010
> Location: [Barcelona? Berlin?]

I just want to let you know that OpenEd 2010 (http://
openedconference.org/2010/)
will take place in Barcelona in the first days of November.

In Berlin, during 1-2 Nov will take place the International Commons
Conference.

It may be a good idea to have that in mind to connect Drumbeat
Festival with both events in the best way.

Best,

Franco

Mark Surman

Jun 9, 2010, 3:07:36 PM6/9/10
Hey Franco

Thanks for this!

I already know about open ed 2010 -- it's exactly why we're thinking of
Barcelona. We can pick up some great synergies.

At this stage we're 99% decided on Barcelona for Nov 4 + 5. Will be
putting out a 'save the date' in next 24 hours.

ms