Drumbeat in Europe - draft

Alina Mierlus

Jan 19, 2010, 7:34:51 PM1/19/10
to community...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello Drumbeaters

   I would like to share with you a draft I started writing a few weeks ago:  http://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/Eu-Drumbeat .
This is the result of a series of discussions I had with other community members from Europe and people interested in spreading the word about Mozilla Mission.
   It is not very well structured yet, but I hope it is understandable. Feel free to add your ideas and feedback.

Cheers,
Alina
---
Alina Mariana Mierlus
Community Building and events/campaigns coordination
Free Software Foundation Europe (http://www.fsfeurope.org)
Email: alina....@fsfeurope.org
Address: Linienstrasse, 141, 10115, Berlin, Germany

T: +49-30-896779909

Free Software! Free Society! - Join the Fellowship of FSFE - http://www.fsfe.org/join

Carlo Frinolli | nois3lab

Jan 20, 2010, 1:24:32 AM1/20/10
to Alina Mierlus, community...@lists.mozilla.org
Alina,

Il giorno 20/gen/2010, alle ore 01.34, Alina Mierlus ha scritto:

I would like to share with you a draft I started writing a few weeks ago:  http://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/Eu-Drumbeat .
This is the result of a series of discussions I had with other community members from Europe and people interested in spreading the word about Mozilla Mission.
It is not very well structured yet, but I hope it is understandable. Feel free to add your ideas and feedback.

As you probably know we're from Rome, and we'd LOVE to join this early community talks re: EU.
Let us know how to help :))

Carlo Frinolli

[ creative director ]

nois3lab snc
[ website | http://nois3lab.it ]
[ corporate tweets | http://twitter.com/nois3lab ]
[ personal tweets | http://twitter.com/carl0s_ ]
via di scorticabove 77, 00156 Roma
tel. +390695557042 (direct)
tel. +390695557019 (office)
mobile. +39 347 31 12 050
skype. carlo_nois3lab

Mark Surman

Jan 21, 2010, 12:56:41 PM1/21/10
Hey Alina and all

Congrats on this.

It's a good start in terms of thinking about Drubmeat in Europe -- and
will be a useful framework for our FOSDEM working session.

Looking at the details of the draft plan, there are some ideas that
align well and add to Drumbeat thinking so far. There are also some
questions -- things that are different than existing thinking.

Things that are awesome already:

* The general energy and leadership coming through in Europe is great.
We haven't had many European projects proposed until now -- and now you
guys are changing and improving this situation.

* The thinking on events is right on. We're working on a global 'train
the trainer' plan to help people get good at running these events, which
could plug into what you've written. Maybe with a kick off camp
somewhere like Berlin? We should talk through in detail in Brussels.

* I really like the idea of a speaker's kit -- especially if we can do
it creatively. OReilly has agreed to do a partnership w/ Mozilla and
Drumbeat around this project:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/website/projects/presentationchallenge

... during Global Ignite Week:

http://ignite.oreilly.com/giw/

So, we could tie the speakers kit into that idea.

* The projects emerging in Europe on the FOSDEM page are a good start in
terms of momentum. There is a question around 'building things' which I
raise below -- which Carlo's community wireless speaks to. Good to get
the European projects listed on this page:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/projects/projectmanagement

... in this format:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/website/project_submission_form

Things I have questions about:

* A core part of Drumbeat is about people promoting the web by *making
and doing* -- making movies, web pages, books, demos or doing courses,
events, etc. Just like with making Firefox, it's easier to build a
community and have an impact if there is something concrete at the
centre. This is missing a bit from the language in the Europe plan. A
bit of wording could make this stronger, and would result in even better
project ideas.

* The biggest place this is missing is in 'strategy' -- the strategy
section doesn't include much about making and doing things. Mostly about
advocacy and talking. That's also where we started w/ other Drumbeat
discussions -- but ultimately decided more concrete things needed to be
at the centre if we want to grow our community and impact. IMHO, that's
a really critical part of what we're doing here.

* There is a significant difference between the 'what is Drumbeat?' text
on the Europe page and on the main Drumbeat wiki. We should look at this
in Brussels and see how if we can get this language more aligned.

As above, very excited to seeing this energy building -- and looking
forward to getting to more detail in Brussels.

ms

On 10-01-19 7:34 PM, Alina Mierlus wrote:
> Hello Drumbeaters
>
> I would like to share with you a draft I started writing a few weeks
> ago: http://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/Eu-Drumbeat .
> This is the result of a series of discussions I had with other community
> members from Europe and people interested in spreading the word about
> Mozilla Mission.
> It is not very well structured yet, but I hope it is understandable.
> Feel free to add your ideas and feedback.
>
> Cheers,
> Alina
> ---
> Alina Mariana Mierlus
> Community Building and events/campaigns coordination
> Free Software Foundation Europe (http://www.fsfeurope.org)

> Email: alina....@fsfeurope.org <mailto:alina....@fsfeurope.org>

Bogomil "Bogo" Shopov - Mozilla Bulgaria

Jan 22, 2010, 5:41:47 AM1/22/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, Mark Surman
Hi Mark, Alina, guys,
I am working from while on some DB ideas, already marked in Wiki, but I want to share some notes here:

1. Europe is different than the rest of the world. Here we have a huge diversity of nations and different ways of thinking mainly due to the political processes during the last 80 years, the different cultures and the fact that we are now trying to build a different kind of society through the European Union.

2. Drumbeat’s idea is leadership. We must understand that we are taking up this immense management and workload resource, because Mozilla's Mission encompasses the free culture (CC), open source, open standards, open content, new technologies, sharing, future web development and many other things, which makes us not the next bunch of people with ideas how to develop web, but makes us the people who WILL develop the web from now on. On the other hand, Internet access and training must be promoted to all the Internet users.

3. First of all we have to have Web in order to have an open web. We must focus our efforts also in the struggle for neutrality of the World Wide Web, against data retention, against the violation of our private lives through DPI and other spying technologies and so on.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/website/projects/Privacy_Fox

4. Another important task is to create the notion in everybody that WE are the community dealing with this. We must also create ourselves a new image, because 90% of the people believe that Mozilla is Firefox only, another 9% add Thunderbird in the equation, and only 1% actually know Mozilla's Mission and that it is the most valuable thing in our project. That is why we must not fail and we should weigh our capacities accurately.

5. DB is not only about promoting Mozilla's mission, but to create a new way for web development - the Open Web.

I think these are the guidelines which are more than mandatory for discussion at the meeting, as well as the specific projects for reaching the goal, of course. Some of our intentions coincide with the EU's intentions, which is OK, because we can apply for European Programmes which are implemented throughout Europe. Others will be in contradiction with the current atmosphere in the European Parliament, which is more than normal.

Bogo

Bogomil "Bogo" Shopov
Mozilla Bulgaria
http://bgzilla.org

http://mozgull.bogomil.info
+359 897 615128

Moltke

Jan 22, 2010, 5:59:38 AM1/22/10
Hey all,

greetings from snowy Copenhagen!

I thought I'd briefy introduce myself and try to come up with some
observation and suggestions.

Alina, I read your draft, and I think you ask some important questions
about strategy which need to be addressed first. I also think you´re
very right that, unless we think about the things, "Drumbeat is
likely to only appeal to those who are already close to these issues
and fail to create much support".

One of the things I´ve wanted to do with some of the related projects
I've been involved with is to take the conversation up above the
trenches. So, with the documentary Good Copy Bad Copy (http://
www.goodcopybadcopy.net/) we tried to not close the door to those not
necessarily in favor of what "we", the digital natives etc - all agree
to. Same with FREE BEER (http://www.freebeer.org/blog/) - we tried to
tell people about free software / free licensing in a way that
appealed more to outsiders than just listing the - to us - obvious
advantages.

So, we should be asking ourselves how we reach those not already
considering freedom, net neutrality, and what you call "consumption
choices".
I think Firefox is a great example - so-called normal people that use
FF are not aligned with all the ideologies, but have a feeling they're
not just using the fastest, safest and most advanced browser. They
also feel part of a community, an identity they want to signal to
others. So we should think about how we can create momentum for
projects that are of high quality, are "user-friendly", fun and have
that same quality - something you want to share with others.

Anyway, that was just some random thoughts from me :) Back to work.

/Henrik

Bogomil "Bogo" Shopov - Mozilla Bulgaria

Jan 22, 2010, 6:19:42 AM1/22/10
On 01/22/2010 12:59 PM, Moltke wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> greetings from snowy Copenhagen!
>
> I thought I'd briefy introduce myself and try to come up with some
> observation and suggestions.
>
> Alina, I read your draft, and I think you ask some important questions
> about strategy which need to be addressed first. I also think you�re
> very right that, unless we think about the things, "Drumbeat is
> likely to only appeal to those who are already close to these issues
> and fail to create much support".
>
> One of the things I�ve wanted to do with some of the related projects
> I've been involved with is to take the conversation up above the
> trenches. So, with the documentary Good Copy Bad Copy (http://
> www.goodcopybadcopy.net/) we tried to not close the door to those not
> necessarily in favor of what "we", the digital natives etc - all agree
> to. Same with FREE BEER (http://www.freebeer.org/blog/) - we tried to
> tell people about free software / free licensing in a way that
> appealed more to outsiders than just listing the - to us - obvious
> advantages.

Free beer project was awesome (I cannot tell the same about the taste of
it :)))). Those projects can we the backbone of this one:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/website/projects/Privacy_Fox

What do you think?

> So, we should be asking ourselves how we reach those not already
> considering freedom, net neutrality, and what you call "consumption
> choices".
> I think Firefox is a great example - so-called normal people that use
> FF are not aligned with all the ideologies, but have a feeling they're
> not just using the fastest, safest and most advanced browser. They
> also feel part of a community, an identity they want to signal to
> others. So we should think about how we can create momentum for
> projects that are of high quality, are "user-friendly", fun and have
> that same quality - something you want to share with others.
>
> Anyway, that was just some random thoughts from me :) Back to work.
>
> /Henrik

Carlo Frinolli | nois3lab

Jan 22, 2010, 6:40:45 AM1/22/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Hey Mark, and all

Il giorno 21/gen/2010, alle ore 18.56, Mark Surman ha scritto:

* The thinking on events is right on. We're working on a global 'train the trainer' plan to help people get good at running these events, which could plug into what you've written. Maybe with a kick off camp somewhere like Berlin? We should talk through in detail in Brussels.

I think you score one with this.
First when you need to launch an idea, advertising and marketing taught us so, it's much better to get ppl with a good experience to let them remember about this.
Then it's great to have some guidelines and a train the trainer plan. Thus the kickoff camp could be a great opportunity to have a nice, effective and probably huge festival in mid-late 2010 (best if in Rome!! :))

* A core part of Drumbeat is about people promoting the web by *making and doing* -- making movies, web pages, books, demos or doing courses, events, etc. Just like with making Firefox, it's easier to build a community and have an impact if there is something concrete at the centre. This is missing a bit from the language in the Europe plan. A bit of wording could make this stronger, and would result in even better project ideas.

I spoke a bit with Alina as well and we were in the same exact page, indeed. Better she anticipated me in some concepts we shared.
I think that  promoting by making and doing will be really effective.
I can speak for my experience: the results for ppl around me in Rome when we did that light marketing campaign for Firefox 5th birthday "catch the fox" were incredible. A lot of buzz, tweets, comments, visualization, media noise raised up right after that event, and indeed it increased Firefox popularity to those who didn't meet this browser yet.

* The biggest place this is missing is in 'strategy' -- the strategy section doesn't include much about making and doing things. Mostly about advocacy and talking. That's also where we started w/ other Drumbeat discussions -- but ultimately decided more concrete things needed to be at the centre if we want to grow our community and impact. IMHO, that's a really critical part of what we're doing here.

Totally agree.

* There is a significant difference between the 'what is Drumbeat?' text on the Europe page and on the main Drumbeat wiki. We should look at this in Brussels and see how if we can get this language more aligned.

I think it's ok to be aligned, but I also think we need to understand how diversity has to be addressed into languages we use to promote Drumbeat.
It's true that Europe is a bit different from US about that.

my 2 cents

Carlo Frinolli | nois3lab

Carlo Frinolli | nois3lab

Jan 22, 2010, 7:13:20 AM1/22/10
Il giorno 22/gen/2010, alle ore 11.41, Bogomil Bogo Shopov - Mozilla Bulgaria ha scritto:

2. Drumbeat’s idea is leadership. We must understand that we are taking up this immense management and workload resource, because Mozilla's Mission encompasses the free culture (CC), open source, open standards, open content, new technologies, sharing, future web development and many other things, which makes us not the next bunch of people with ideas how to develop web, but makes us the people who WILL develop the web from now on.

Maybe it's just a pointless observation, but I think this is a bit different.
I think Drumbeat needs to subvert the idea of leadership to a broader idea of distributed leadership, where each of us will be responsible for the Open Web future. Probably you wanted to say the same thing, but this is why I love drumbeat's approach comparing to "similar" projects.

On the other hand, Internet access and training must be promoted to all the Internet users.

Thus I think, embracing digital divide reduction policies could be really good to go with.

3. First of all we have to have Web in order to have an open web. We must focus our efforts also in the struggle for neutrality of the World Wide Web, against data retention, against the violation of our private lives through DPI and other spying technologies and so on.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/website/projects/Privacy_Fox

I have a couple observations here.
On one hand I think we should look at privacy in a more dynamic way than now.
Some years ago we had the privacy box. We filled that up with private information and then we tried to safeguard that black sealed box.
Then when social networking, and UGC got into the game, something changed.

In brief I partially agree with Facebook's Zuckerberg that here (http://www.switched.com/2010/01/11/facebooks-mark-zuckerberg-claims-privacy-is-dead/) claims privacy death.
He is right telling us the story that the box is open, and accessible. He's doing this, in my point of view, not to have any effort of defending ppl right on their data.
And this is where I like Bogo's project. I like an observatory about privacy, data retention and so on. But I'd love to get this addressed in a more creative and less defensive way.

Me and my friend baku, bored with this defensive approach regarding privacy started a provoking project some months ago.
The basic idea is: you subscribe and have a mailbox. Not new. But sometimes this mailbox gets completely public. New and crazy. Then you can follow friend and read their emails. New, crazy and creepy. Then you can tag their mailboxes. Not new. Then you can comment their own threads with other people. Gee this is too much.

This project is called GMaybe? (http://www.gmaybe.com) and it's a bit still now.

What we wanted to show there was that tafkap - the argument formerly known as privacy - was dead. People need to take active control of what privacy is, where are their credentials, their genuine personal information and so on.

Until now it's something that Bogo proposed as well.
What I personally find uneffective is the idea of separating this from Drumbeat. As Drumbeat needs to be distributed leadership of the Open Web I think this could be one of its duties.
I'm not really into this matter but I think technically could be great to release an OpenID (http://www.openid.net) provider of our own. And connect with that community. From a theoretical point of view, only gathering personal data to services who grants you total control of your decisions get you free. Without compromising interoperabilty as the so-called openstack is something that is really on-trend now. Think of OAuth application (twitter for instances), or OpenID enabled websites (for instance google lets you use it).

4. Another important task is to create the notion in everybody that WE are the community dealing with this. We must also create ourselves a new image, because 90% of the people believe that Mozilla is Firefox only, another 9% add Thunderbird in the equation, and only 1% actually know Mozilla's Mission and that it is the most valuable thing in our project. That is why we must not fail and we should weigh our capacities accurately.

Totally agree. And here we need to find effective ways to open up and explain our concepts for "dummies" as well.

5. DB is not only about promoting Mozilla's mission, but to create a new way for web development - the Open Web.

I think these are the guidelines which are more than mandatory for discussion at the meeting, as well as the specific projects for reaching the goal, of course. Some of our intentions coincide with the EU's intentions, which is OK, because we can apply for European Programmes which are implemented throughout Europe. Others will be in contradiction with the current atmosphere in the European Parliament, which is more than normal.

Totally. This could also be a way of funding those projects. Also, from a web dev point of view, I think Drumbeat should interoperate with those who promote standards to define new ones, and push the "old" and effective already ones.

Hope that I didn't bore you too much.

My 2 in this case longer cents.

pa...@appcoast.com

Jan 22, 2010, 7:22:29 AM1/22/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, Carlo Frinolli | nois3lab
On 22/01/10 12:13, Carlo Frinolli | nois3lab wrote:
I'm not really into this matter but I think technically could be great to release an OpenID (http://www.openid.net) provider of our own. And connect with that community. From a theoretical point of view, only gathering personal data to services who grants you total control of your decisions get you free

Totally agree.

I would love to see Mozilla getting into webservices like OpenID, Social networking, Microblogging, ..

Bogomil "Bogo" Shopov - Mozilla Bulgaria

Jan 22, 2010, 7:25:49 AM1/22/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, Carlo Frinolli | nois3lab, pa...@appcoast.com
I'm not really into this matter but I think technically could be great to release an OpenID (http://www.openid.net <http://www.openid.net>) provider of our own. And connect with that community. From a theoretical point of view, only gathering personal data to services who grants you total control of your decisions get you free

Totally agree.

I would love to see Mozilla getting into webservices like OpenID, Social networking, Microblogging, ..
OpenID is a must, maybe something like mozid :)

pa...@appcoast.com

Jan 22, 2010, 7:32:33 AM1/22/10
to b...@bgzilla.org, Carlo Frinolli | nois3lab, The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
On 22/01/10 12:25, Bogomil "Bogo" Shopov - Mozilla Bulgaria wrote:
On 01/22/2010 02:22 PM, pa...@appcoast.com wrote:
On 22/01/10 12:13, Carlo Frinolli | nois3lab wrote:
I'm not really into this matter but I think technically could be great to release an OpenID (http://www.openid.net <http://www.openid.net>) provider of our own. And connect with that community. From a theoretical point of view, only gathering personal data to services who grants you total control of your decisions get you free

Totally agree.

I would love to see Mozilla getting into webservices like OpenID, Social networking, Microblogging, ..
OpenID is a must, maybe something like mozid :)

Nice idea! I purchased moztweet.com just in case we should need it :-) and am in the process of transferring the domain over to Mozilla

Moltke

Jan 22, 2010, 7:33:02 AM1/22/10
> > Free beer project was awesome (I cannot tell the same about the taste of
> it :)))). Those projects can we the backbone of this one:https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/website/projects/Privacy_Fox
>
> What do you think?

Hey Bogo

thanks!

Not sure I understand that 100%? Which projects were the backbone of
what?

Also, have you seen the stuff the Berkman Center has done in this
direction? I am thinking about Herdict in particular, which, as far as
I remember, also had a FF plugin?

Bogomil "Bogo" Shopov - Mozilla Bulgaria

Jan 22, 2010, 7:39:22 AM1/22/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, Moltke
On 01/22/2010 02:33 PM, Moltke wrote:
>>> Free beer project was awesome (I cannot tell the same about the taste of
>>>
>> it :)))). Those projects can we the backbone of this one:https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/website/projects/Privacy_Fox
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
> Hey Bogo
>
> thanks!
>
> Not sure I understand that 100%? Which projects were the backbone of
> what?

Opps, sorry. I mean we can use "Free beer" project and the other one as
an example and knowledge base for this project :

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/website/projects/Privacy_Fox

Bogo

> Also, have you seen the stuff the Berkman Center has done in this
> direction? I am thinking about Herdict in particular, which, as far as
> I remember, also had a FF plugin?

Gervase Markham

Jan 25, 2010, 9:33:23 AM1/25/10
On 20/01/10 00:34, Alina Mierlus wrote:
> I would like to share with you a draft I started writing a few weeks
> ago: http://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/Eu-Drumbeat .

Hi Alina,

(Perhaps the page has been updated a bit since this thread started. I'm
commenting on the current version.)

It's great that you are doing some thinking about how to bring Drumbeat
to Europe. :-)

I'd like to push back a bit on, or at least clarify, what you say, and
what Bogo seems to agree with, that the "European public is different
from the other cultures and we have been thinking that we need to adapt
Drumbeat."

I agree that one core idea can be explained in a variety of ways, and
you should choose the explanation which is best for your audience. My
concern is that your proposals change the core idea, rather than
adapting the explanation.

The definition of 'Drumbeat' from http://www.mozilla.org/drumbeat/ is:

"Mozilla Drumbeat is a global community of people and projects using
technology to help internet users understand, participate and take
control of their online lives."

I myself can't see any part of that core idea which is going to be hard
for us Europeans to understand. We are smart people :-) And it's been
said that there is a much stronger inclination towards openness and
personal control in Europe than there is in, say, America. So it should,
if anything, be easier to explain here than elsewhere. There's
definitely a discussion to have on how to present it, but I don't think
the core idea needs to change.

In general, it is really important that the definition of 'Drumbeat' is
as tightly defined as possible, and we do not blur the edges by talking
about things which aren't Drumbeat as 'Drumbeat'. This includes things
which are part of the Mozilla mission, and which Mozilla is already
doing. So, for example, making Firefox and Thunderbird is not Drumbeat.
I'm sure you would agree with that.

However, there are also some other things which aren't Drumbeat:

- telling people what the Mozilla Mission is and how important it is
- Getting people involved in the non-Drumbeat bits of Mozilla
- Revisualising the Mozilla Manifesto and making it more understandable

All of these things are important things. All of these things are things
Mozilla should be doing. Some of these things may be component parts of
individual Drumbeat projects, sometimes. But these things are not
Drumbeat itself. And I'm worried that your proposal suggests we do some
of these things, and call it "Drumbeat".

If we let the idea of what Drumbeat is get stretched in different
directions, it'll stop meaning anything. And then nobody wins.

What I want to avoid is Drumbeat being something different in Europe to
everywhere else, because I don't think that would benefit anyone. And I
don't want Mozilla's different activities to get all muddled up.

Does that make sense?

Gerv

Gervase Markham

Jan 25, 2010, 9:39:40 AM1/25/10
On 22/01/10 10:41, Bogomil "Bogo" Shopov - Mozilla Bulgaria wrote:
> 1. Europe is different than the rest of the world. Here we have a huge
> diversity of nations and different ways of thinking mainly due to the
> political processes during the last 80 years, the different cultures and
> the fact that we are now trying to build a different kind of society
> through the European Union.

(...which is a project that not all Europeans support.) I don't think
Europe is different enough to the rest of the world that the idea of
"people, ideas and projects for the open web" needs changing. I'd be
interested in your comments on my reply to Alina regarding this.

> 2. *Drumbeat*’s idea is leadership.

I don't think that's true, though. Drumbeat is about decentralising -
helping people go off and build their own cool stuff. We can help them,
sure, but if everything goes through the centre, it will indeed be an
"immense management and workload resource", as you said - and I don't
think that's a good thing.

> Internet access and
> training must be promoted to all the Internet users.

I think providing Internet access to people is a great thing, but it's
another of those things which are great things but are not Drumbeat and
not the Mozilla mission.

In the past, in discussions about our mission, I've said "Mozilla's
involvement starts after someone is able to exchange packets with the
rest of the Internet". I still think that's true. We can't do
everything, and that's a good dividing line to draw. We could spend all
our resources ten times over on trying to bring the Internet to Africa,
for example. But it's not where our expertise is.

> 5. DB is not only about promoting Mozilla's mission, but to create a new
> way for web development - the Open Web.

Both creating and using :-)

Gerv

Gervase Markham

Jan 25, 2010, 9:44:46 AM1/25/10
On 22/01/10 12:22, pa...@appcoast.com wrote:
> Totally agree.
>
> I would love to see Mozilla getting into webservices like OpenID, Social
> networking, Microblogging, ..

Quite possibly (for some of the things you list) but I'm not sure
"Mozilla becoming an OpenID provider" is Drumbeat.

And if someone else said "I want to do a Drumbeat project! I'm going to
build an OpenID provider!", we would need to ask "what makes yours
different to all the other OpenID providers out there?". If the answer
were "it uses open web technologies better" or "it has much stronger
privacy guarantees", then it may make a good Drumbeat project.

Gerv

pa...@appcoast.com

Jan 25, 2010, 10:04:12 AM1/25/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat, Gervase Markham
Understood, thanks

gina cooper

Jan 25, 2010, 11:00:52 AM1/25/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Responding to Mark -

The biggest place this is missing is in 'strategy' -- the strategy section doesn't include much about making and doing things. Mostly about advocacy and talking. That's also where we started w/ other Drumbeat discussions -- but ultimately decided more concrete things needed to be at the centre if we want to grow our community and impact. IMHO, that's a really critical part of what we're doing here.

I think Alina has articulated an assumption about Drumbeat that is worth questioning - that growing the community is possible without strong strategy for advocacy. I know that there is a desire to have a kind of program where people accept responsibility themselves for being leaders. I agree with this! What I question is the ability to do this without having a strong advocacy component without a person who is the face of that advocacy.

To use a political example - Candidate Barack Obama inspired people to join his cause because he was an inspirational leader with an inspirational message. The message "Change" was nothing new in US politics. When I first heard his campaign go in that direction, I thought, "blah blah blah, tell me something I haven't heard before." People got behind Obama because they believed he could lead that change, and from there people accepted responsibility for enacting it (I won't go into my theories of what happened to that momentum after the election).

My point, being on the righteous side of cause is not enough to inspire people to join your cause. Arguments for the cause have to be made by leaders who inspire people to believe that a mission can be accomplished. That leader does not have to operate in a top down fashion. But movements and communities need leaders to grow, a face to go with a vision. People don't automatically know how to be their own leaders. What may look like a community of  leaders to those on the inside, looks like a community of experts - a more closed kind of community - on the outside. Communities that appear closed don't grow.

I am worried about Drumbeat's goal of growing it's community while rejecting the need for an advocacy program with a leadership structure that can make arguments to large groups, the media, etc. Tactics are never a substitute for leaders.

Gina

Gina Cooper
707.888.5977
http://middlecoastllc.com/
http://ginacooper.com/
http://twitter.com/ginacooper

Nathaniel James

Jan 25, 2010, 4:13:53 PM1/25/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Gina, et al:

Apologies for very long email.  Not usually my style, but I've been thinking about some of the issues on this thread for a long time, both within and preceding the Drumbeat context.

As many of you know, defining and successfully executing an advocacy agenda in the Web/Internet space is very difficult.

If I have understood the development of Drumbeat to date, I think it's clear that there is a concern that focusing on advocacy, especially early on, paints the Mozilla community (and the potentially broader Drumbeat community) as primarily an advocacy effort.

Advocacy, by which I mean here efforts to influence governments and their policy-makers, is very resource-intensive, and the policy process is practically designed to frustrate new entrants.  It requires political talent (campaign strategists & managers, etc), a commitment to long timelines, the ability to build and maintain coalitions, a willingness to make some enemies and then compromise with them at the end game, etc.  When you add the constraints in the technology policy space (technical AND legal expertise and the ability to translate tech policy for a broad constituency), and also the problems of global advocacy (multiple overlapping jurisdictions, different political strategies across many regions), the ROI begins to look dubious.

(Note: Perhaps Gina's definition of advocacy in this thread is different or broader than mine, and I'd encourage some input on that question.)

Having said all that, I believe there is a reason and a way forward for members of the Drumbeat community to participate as advocates.   All the following is offered for discussion and critique.  Please insert an "IMHO"  at every point :)

I am very persuaded by Lessig's argument that technologies are governed by architectures, markets, behavioral norms, and the law.  To my knowledge, there is no group in the Open Net/Web community at large that has ever successfully tackled all four of these levers concurrently.  Big companies pull all four levers at all time, but they make money impacting the first three, so can spend some impacting the fourth for the advantage of their core operations.   Resource constraints and diverse values have split the organizations and institutions of our community, so that most focus on only one lever, maybe two.

Historically, Mozilla has been very successful impacting architectures (OSS, Open Data) and markets (software competition).  Drumbeat, as a user education and engagement effort, opens Mozilla's strategic framework up to more deeply impact behavioral norms (ie users "take control").   The question, then, is whether to add a fourth leg to the stool and gear up Mozilla/Drumbeat to "do advocacy."   I'll leave it to anyone else on the list to enumerate reasons to say "no" to advocacy and "yes" to focusing on "the 3 legged stool."  For the sake of this comment, I would argue that Mozilla, as a valued and trusted leader in the architecture and market domains, could be a very influential player in the policy debate, and that Mozillan Drummers a very powerful political bloc.  In a world where Drumbeat is truly building a better, more Open Web, it is building a natural constituency for advocacy, and its silence on policy questions becomes conspicuous.   Furthermore, even if Drumbeat is very successful in engaging new active publics in "taking control" of their lives online, ultimately most people are not "makers" when it comes to technology.  On the other hand, anyone and everyone can have a voice as an advocate.

Speaking to Gina's points, I believe, one major way to open up Drumbeat to mass engagement is to include a smart advocacy program.  Most people can't or won't build a mash-up Web site, but anyone can add their name and their voice to a movement.

If the answers is "yes, let's gear up," here are some considerations-

A political analysis:

1) Defining Drumbeat values - advocacy is a struggle - what are the key values for which the Mozilla/Drumbeat community will fight?
2) Defining basic conditions for the open Web - besides "more open Web Projects" how do we create, sustain, and advance the Open Web?  What are the basic structural conditions of the open Web?  Is it Net Neutrality?  Community-controlled infrastructure?  Consumer protection?  Competition policy?  What?
3) Defining policy issues - based on an agreed set of values and necessary conditions, which issues can or should be taken up in the policy process/political sphere of action?  Which issues are better impacted through other modalities (architectures, markets, norms)?  In other words, for which issues are there political/policy solutions; what do you want governments to do or not do? (Note: feeling the urgency of pending government action, people often start here, with a laundry list of demands, rather than a strategic program)
4) Defining targets - Which governments?  Who are the natural allies and opposition?
5) Defining resources - what and who do we have on hand? What and who do we need?  How does it get paid for?

Strategy - getting what we want:

1) Candidate 1: traditional advocacy - campaigns, research, lobbying, press work (earned media and opinion-shaping in the "press"), grassroots/netroots mobilization
2) Candidate 2: Drumbeat focuses on TOOLS for advocacy - there are many resources for tracking policy developments, players, etc out there on the Web, but they are poorly aggregated.  Perhaps in the "making" mode of Drumbeat, one project for investigation is a "Drumbeat Gov Watch" site that aggregates pressing developments that affect Drumbeat values and provides a platform for ad hoc organization around those developments, providing planning space, tool kits, etc.
3) Hybrid models and other candidates for strategic direction - ie, I may be missing an option here.

Process - building the 4th leg:

Perhaps the best way to take a step back and address everyone's issues on the question is to form a Drumbeat project specifically for Mozillians/Drummers who are passionate about advocacy.  Perhaps each region could have a working group that feeds into the overall discussion to manage localizations issues.  Mozilla Staff and Board should be involved because their perspectives and buy-in are essential.  This approach would confirm that:

1) Not everyone in the Drumbeat community is enthusiastic about participating in advocacy efforts.
2) An advocacy planning project is just one of dozens of Drumbeat projects, and for now is allocated the same level of resources.
3) Drumbeat is aware that policy and advocacy matter, and it is taking a measured approach to investigating options for intervention.

My 22 cents.

Cheers,

Nathaniel James
Executive Director | OneWebDay, Inc.
202.470.6059 | Skype: james.nathaniel
nja...@onewebday.org | @OWD on Twitter

Get Organized, Get Support at my.OneWebDay.org

On Jan 25, 2010, at 11:00 AM, gina cooper wrote:

Responding to Mark -

[...]

gina cooper

Jan 25, 2010, 11:36:11 PM1/25/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
I'm afraid I opened a can of worms.

My thoughts on advocacy are about creating a constituency - advocating the cause to people, not necessarily governments.

On Drumbeat's objectives:

Objective #1: Finding and setting up projects that excite us. Mostly from people we don't know yet.

People are not going to believe in the ethic of openness just because it is the right thing to believe in.  Being right is not enough. Sure, your believers will show up and contribute projects, but if the point is to grow a movement, then that requires evangelizing in ways that excite those people we don't know yet, the not-yet-believers. It is never too soon to start.

To be honest, I cringe every time I see the mockups of the website and the tabs in the order "Projects-People-Events." People should be first. I understand the goal is about creating something tangible, but those tangible things are created by people.

By being project rather than people centered, the assumption is "if we build it they will come." Not true. It has to be about the people you want to reach, and it is a big assumption that those people will automatically recognize the value of drumbeat. I also don't think that building cool open projects is sufficient for communicating Drumbeat's values. Yes, important cool stuff will be created, but there is lots of cool stuff on the internet, lots of important causes, and so it takes more to break through and be _the_ cause people choose to support.

Creating a superior product and being on the right side of an argument should be enough to sell your cause. But how the world should work and how it works are two different things.

That is why I think it is important for Drumbeat to have a public voice, a recognized thought leader, an evangelizer in chief, for Drumbeat's values. That voice has to be a person, not a group of projects. Things, even if those things are awesome, can't replace people making arguments to other people. Arguments have to be authoritative to persuade, and authority comes from leaders.

As for other definitions of advocacy, as in to governments, my personal belief is that it is an essential unfilled role for someone, maybe not Drumbeat, but for someone. The recent Supreme Court ruling in the US that removes limits on corporations using treasury funds to support or oppose candidates should scare the hell out of any cause without the cash, connections or strategy for influencing outcomes.

I apologize for the tone of this email. I am very passionate about Mozilla's values because those values are about empowering people, something (because of technology) I experienced personally/politically in ways I never could have imagined (ask Mike Haggerty, he was part of it). I think communicating those values and introducing the world to the inspirational leaders behind the vision is an essential piece of strategy that should not be sidelined. Embrace the ambition of this project and embody it. That doesn't mean you have to be a cartoon character like some of the other leaders in the tech industry <cringe>.

PS: I think Nathaniel is spot on with his observations/analysis/strategy, but also agree that it is likely beyond the scope of Drumbeat - more something for the larger Mozilla organization, or for Mozilla to take a leadership role in organizing a coalition of organizations that already exist.

Responding to Mark -

[...]

Gervase Markham

Jan 26, 2010, 8:25:59 AM1/26/10
On 25/01/10 16:00, gina cooper wrote:
> I think Alina has articulated an assumption about Drumbeat that is worth
> questioning - that growing the community is possible without strong
> strategy for advocacy.

I think that, in order to have that discussion, we need to be more
specific about what we mean by both "community" and "advocacy".

"Community": there are several possible communities associated with
Drumbeat. There will be communities around individual projects, and
there will also be "meta-communities" - communities around Drumbeat
itself. One around the website, and one around managing and working with
the whole "incubator for open web projects" idea that Drumbeat is.

Which community are you talking about growing?

"Advocacy": advocacy is like "writing" - it's too general. You need to
define what you are talking about advocating for.

E.g. We need to advocate the Mozilla mission better and more loudly.
MoFo has programs for doing just that. But they are not Drumbeat
(although they will hopefully encourage more people to get involved with
Drumbeat).

Can Drumbeat succeed without strong advocacy for the Mozilla ideals?
Perhaps, perhaps not. Will it be aided by such strong advocacy? Almost
certainly. Is that advocacy Drumbeat? No.

So what sort of advocacy do you mean?

Gerv

Gervase Markham

Jan 26, 2010, 8:27:32 AM1/26/10
On 25/01/10 21:13, Nathaniel James wrote:
> Advocacy, by which I mean here efforts to influence governments and
> their policy-makers

That's not at all what I understood it to mean. This clearly shows the
need to define our terms carefully!

Gerv

Nathaniel James

Jan 26, 2010, 11:02:27 AM1/26/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Thanks for the clarification!

In my mind, the key word for what you're talking about is evangelism, and your points are well taken.

I guess that I would just add some new thoughts based on this and further consideration.

Probably an all-out *policy* advocacy program isn't the right fit for Drumbeat.  Finding a Drumbeat-ready advocacy project should still be on the table.  Furthermore, the kind of leader (or maybe leaders) you describe should, I think, be prepared to have a voice on very pressing policy issues of the day, those that impact the community and the "basic conditions" I was talking about.  There are some very urgent debates, and some well-placed comments from Mozilla/Drumbeat can serve to strengthen the project and do the work of articulating the community's values.  It also gives Drumbeat some spotlight during a news cycle to make that statement, but then pivot to "that's why Drumbeat is engaged in developing projects that help people take control of their online lives."

If that's going to happen, some of the strategic work I outlined, esp around defining values, basic conditions, allies, etc., would be very valuable.  If those are defined within the community, it would give the leader(s) the ground to stand on when it is appropriate or necessary to make a statement on a question facing governments.

I see the work of Drumbeat evangelist(s), as Gina describes them, as twofold.  First, Using the Web to tell the stories of Drumbeat and Drumbeat-aligned work in order to articulate those values to ever-broader audiences.  It's important that this storytelling is framed in terms of broad human values and not littered with a lot of techie code.  Tell it so my grandpa understands :) Second, strategic outreach to new communities that can benefit and should be involved in Drumbeat.  This is hard work, but there are so many potential participants out there.  "Build it, and they will come" won't work, neither will "publicize it to the 'general public' and they will come."  Sincere, strategic, long-term outreach and relationship building will!

Thanks, Gina.

[...]

Matthew Thompson

Jan 26, 2010, 11:33:46 AM1/26/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Really enjoying this discussion. These are exactly the kinds of questions that drew me to the project! :)

My own sense is that thinking about big questions like "how does 'law' or 'advocacy' fit with Drumbeat?" is hard.
But responding to concrete proposals and specific project ideas is always easier.

For me, the Occam's razor that helps us cut through a lot of potential complexity here is always: "what does it make or build?"
So it's less about saying: this or that area is out of bounds. And more about focusing on the core promise of our brand & community.

We're a community of makers and builders -- so what do you want us to make? If your project idea has a clear answer to that question, then great! -- let's dig into the specifics.
But if it doesn't, it's probably better served elsewhere. Not necessarily because it's out of bounds, but because it's not what we're built for. It's like asking a chef to fix your car.

My sense is that the number of traditional advocacy ideas that can pass this make or build test are ~probably~ low.
But we won't really know until we get concrete proposals or project ideas that pass that first hurdle!
If and when we DO get some of those, then the discussion will get REALLY interesting! ;)

Really excited by the mix of smart voices and energy growing on this list. Gina, smart discussion is always a can of worms worth opening! ;)

--Matt

Mark Surman

Jan 26, 2010, 11:45:00 AM1/26/10
Hey all

Really enjoying this conversation. Slammed in meetings -- so no time for
full response. Will come towards end of the week.

Quick thoughts:

- Evangelizing and advocating for ideas is obviously works inside
Drumbeat -- especially re: bringing to new audiences. If you look
closely, the word 'understand' is in the one line mission statement.

- In many ways, this is exactly what Mozilla already does: with Firefox,
Mozilla is advocating for a particular vision of the web -- one based on
open technologies and participation. Not only have 10s of millions of
people voted (those who downloaded firefox because they get the cause)
-- this effort has been successful producing the social outcomes we were
aiming at (open web tech defines the web).

- It's exactly this experience that has lead us to the 'Drumbeat is
about making and doing things' mantra. Mozilla is good at taking big,
audacious, important ideas and transforming them into concrete projects
that people can participate in -- and that others can eventually use.
We've proven we can advance the ideas and values that are important to
use with this sort of approach.

- Nathan is right: direct policy advocacy is NOT a good fit for Drumbeat
or Mozilla. There are a long list of reasons for this, which we could
discuss on one of our calls at some point. But this is definitely
something I believe we should stay away from. That doesn't mean that
policy makers and politicians can't participate in Drumbeat as equal
players with everyone else -- that is both the spirit of the internet
and of Drumbeat.

As I say, great discussion. Will post more soon ...

ms

> [...]

>>> .... during Global Ignite Week:

>>> http://ignite.oreilly.com/giw/
>>>
>>> So, we could tie the speakers kit into that idea.
>>>
>>> * The projects emerging in Europe on the FOSDEM page are a
>>> good start in terms of momentum. There is a question around
>>> 'building things' which I raise below -- which Carlo's
>>> community wireless speaks to. Good to get the European
>>> projects listed on this page:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/projects/projectmanagement
>>>

>>> .... in this format:

>>> <http://www.fsfeurope.org/>)
>>> Email: alina....@fsfeurope.org
>>> <mailto:alina....@fsfeurope.org>
>>> <mailto:alina....@fsfeurope.org

>>> <mailto:alina....@fsfeurope.org>>
>>>
>>> Address: Linienstrasse, 141, 10115, Berlin, Germany
>>>
>>> T: +49-30-896779909
>>>
>>> Free Software! Free Society! - Join the Fellowship of FSFE -

Mark Surman

Jan 26, 2010, 11:47:56 AM1/26/10
PS. If the advocacy discussion is going to continue much more, we might
split into a new thread. This was originally about Europe and Drumbeat
-- and we definitely need get back to that topic as well.

On 10-01-26 8:02 AM, Nathaniel James wrote:

> [...]

>>> .... during Global Ignite Week:

>>> http://ignite.oreilly.com/giw/
>>>
>>> So, we could tie the speakers kit into that idea.
>>>
>>> * The projects emerging in Europe on the FOSDEM page are a
>>> good start in terms of momentum. There is a question around
>>> 'building things' which I raise below -- which Carlo's
>>> community wireless speaks to. Good to get the European
>>> projects listed on this page:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/projects/projectmanagement
>>>

>>> .... in this format:

>>> Free Software Foundation Europe (http://www.fsfeurope.org
>>> <http://www.fsfeurope.org/>)
>>> Email: alina....@fsfeurope.org
>>> <mailto:alina....@fsfeurope.org>

>>> <mailto:alina....@fsfeurope.org

>>> <mailto:alina....@fsfeurope.org>>
>>>
>>> Address: Linienstrasse, 141, 10115, Berlin, Germany
>>>
>>> T: +49-30-896779909
>>>
>>> Free Software! Free Society! - Join the Fellowship of FSFE -

gina cooper

Jan 26, 2010, 11:51:02 AM1/26/10
to The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat
Probably an all-out *policy* advocacy program isn't the right fit for Drumbeat.  Finding a Drumbeat-ready advocacy project should still be on the table.

You are not the only one who thinks so. This writeup really got my imagination going as to what it would look like -

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2725&blogid=14&pn=2

"Beyond that, I believe that Mozilla needs to think big – not just in terms of projects that it instigates and supports, but in terms of what it is trying to achieve. For example, there are currently very few prestigious organisations that can go to national governments and make credible comments about proposed legislation that relates to the Internet. Mozilla has the clout to do this, and really needs to start engaging much more directly with the institutions making the laws around the world. After all, companies like Microsoft (and Google) now spend large sums of money to lobby the people involved: if Mozilla doesn't try to act as a counterweight to the highly partisan campaigns they conduct, then it's missing out on a huge opportunity to make a major difference – which is really what Drumbeat is all about."

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Nathaniel James <nja...@onewebday.org> wrote:
[...]

Carlo Frinolli | nois3lab

Jan 27, 2010, 4:07:29 AM1/27/10

Il giorno 25/gen/2010, alle ore 15.33, Gervase Markham ha scritto:

What I want to avoid is Drumbeat being something different in Europe to
everywhere else, because I don't think that would benefit anyone. And I
don't want Mozilla's different activities to get all muddled up.

I read all of this outstanding thread. Thank you all!
I totally agree with Gerv here, he's right.
Drumbeat has to be a community of people, project and ideas that is the same cup of tea from any angle.
Drumbeat has its richness imho also if it embodies and incorporates communities in itself, "transforming" itself into a meta-community (agreed again Gerv).
I think also that advocacy is one of the main ways to promote Drumbeat, but I agree again Gerv (three strikes! you're out! :)) it's not Drumbeat who needs to be committed into this.
I think Drumbeat has to be what it's meant to. And Mozilla Foundation has to accompany it, spreading its word, and its Manifesto.
With those two actions combined, and only if combined I think, we can avoid what Alina was worried about: it's true us european are smart ppl and we are more oriented to open solution than others. But some of us still are confused between Firefox and Mozilla, and this is something we need to clarify.
I spoke with many of non-techie, non-webrelated guys in the near past, and I can assure you, at least in Italy, we're a bit confusing about this.
I think this, and nothing else worries Alina so that she wanted to change a bit the way Drumbeat is presented.
Probably what's needed is to give ppl some human experiences that let them associate Drumbeat with something unique.
But this could be another story and I don't want to go off-topic.

best,

Alina Mierlus

Feb 1, 2010, 7:31:40 AM2/1/10
to community...@lists.mozilla.org
Pe 20.01.2010 01:34, Alina Mierlus a scris:
[...]

Hi!

  I would like to give a short answer to clarify the Drumbeat EU draft. First of all, thank you all for the feedback and very interesting discussions, this helps a lot ;).
  The fact that, for the moment there are not activities in Drumbeat EU draft is because is still in the beginning. As Carlo said, mixing advocacy with activities (events and guerilla marketing) is how I would see Drumbeat in Europe.

  Regarding advocacy (and thanks Gina and Nathaniel!) I would say that is critical in the further evolution of Drumbeat. And advocacy is not only *speaking*, at least in Europe (as an example is the EU Ballot screen, a result of FSFE - http://fsfeurope.org and other organizations *advocacy effort*). I think we have different visions about what advocacy means.

  I also tend to agree on what Matt said, about projects - they can be different (and may include or may not include advocacy efforts). But considering the lifecycle of a project in the early stage it will include and *advocacy* effort (it can be from education to promotion among other people).

  And finally, I have to agree with Carlo, we first need *to spread the word about Drumbeat*, to make people understand why Mozilla Foundation goes in this direction, what they can *make* for Drumbeat. I think is the part we still need to work. Not all people knows what "open" Internet/web means, and as I see, the aim of Drumbeat is to gather the attention of folks outside of Mozilla Project. Let's try to explain the "big image" of Internet to normal users and to start with the beginning: create a perfect environment for the future development of Internet and Drumbeat.

  Mozilla has an interesting history, a powerful manifesto and strong values. Firefox took back the web and Drumbeat is meant to "take back the Internet"! (or at least, this is how I see the things). Let's think what led Firefox to a 25% marketshare in Europe (localization, advocacy, local communities and word of mouth marketing).

  Looking forward to see you at FOSDEM and continue discussing on this :).

Cheers,
Alina

Mark Surman

Feb 12, 2010, 1:05:29 PM2/12/10
Hi Gina (and others)

I'm just reading back through the thread that was 'Drumbeat in Europe'.
There is alot in there on leadership, including your post below.

Personally, I agree that developing leadership is at the *core* of what
we need to do for Drumbeat to succeed. Leaders who will inspire people,
talk to the public, the press, etc.

In terms of an approach, the plan is very much to do what Mozilla has
always done -- build up leaders from the grassroots who are both making
things and shaping our vision. This is already happening:

- The people proposing projects are at the core of the leadership
structure we're building. Like Mozilla code module owners, these people
are leading concrete initiatives that will weave together to create the
overall mosaic that is Drumbeat. The web site includes built in ways to
point to and celebrate these leaders.

- We're also seeing people step forward to build Drumbeat community
infrastructure -- local events, blogging, reaching the press. To the
extent that these people are *articulating and driving* these
initiatives, these people are amongst our rising community leaders.
Bogomil's Drumbeaters idea is an early conception of how we might
recognize these people.

After a week in Europe, I am even more confident that these kinds of
leaders are emerging. People like Alina, Carlo, Bogomil, Kerim and many
others blew my mind w/ their willingness to step up and lead. There are
many other people in this discussion forum who have shown similar
qualities -- including you.

Of course, you also need a few people who are willing to step out front
to lead the group as a whole. That's partly my job, and is also a job
that will be picked up by others over time. Personally, my belief is the
best way to do this kind of leadership is to put 80% of your energy into
supporting and guiding grassroots leaders. That's how I'm spending my
time right now.

On last thing about timing and audiences: there will be a time for
speaking to a much broader audience, but that time is not now. Now it's
time to build a base of projects, leaders and communities. This base
won't be -- and currently isn't -- made up of techies. It will be made
up of teachers, filmmakers, artists, activists and others who have been
craving for a way to pitch in on Mozilla's work. We can easily engage
10,000's of these people before we get to the point of 'explaining the
open web to my grandparents'.

To pick up your Obamba metaphor, I'd heard about Barack he was starting
well over a year before the primary campaign started. He was building
his vision and his community so that 'change' could mean something out
of the gate when most people heard about it. That's what we're doing
right now with Drumbeat.

ms

PS. I didn't address the *policy advocacy* side of this thread.
Basically, I don't believe its a useful place for us to go w/ Drumbeat
at this point. If people want to talk about that in depth, we should
start another thread.