Time to Stop Managing Tabs

Edward Lee

Feb 9, 2011, 1:11:15 PM2/9/11
to Mozilla Labs Group
Check out the latest update to the Home Dash Prospector experiment:
https://mozillalabs.com/prospector/2011/02/09/time-to-stop-managing-tabs

Please leave feedback on that post in this thread.

Ed

Sergio Andrés Rondán

Feb 9, 2011, 2:21:46 PM2/9/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, Mozilla Labs Group
I really like this addon, its improved a lot in a very short time. I
gonna try to use it all the time but i have a problem. When i exit home
dash with ctrl + shift + alt + D, all the tabs that are youtube videos,
start to play again, its a little irritating.

Excuse me for me poor english, but it the only way that i can leave
feedback!

Edward Lee

Feb 9, 2011, 2:44:35 PM2/9/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
2011/2/9 Sergio Andrés Rondán <sergio...@mozilla-hispano.org>:

> ctrl + shift + alt + D, all the tabs that are youtube videos, start to play
This is probably because the Flash Plugin reloads for some reason.
However, on YouTube, you can enable html5 videos from this page:
http://www.youtube.com/html5

From there, I can watch this youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COU5T-Wafa4

.. and the Home Dash context video:
http://videos-cdn.mozilla.net/labs/prospector/homeDashContext.webm

And press alt-ctrl-shift-d and both continue playing without pausing.

I've filed this issue for you:
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/issue/142

Ed

Geobert

Feb 9, 2011, 6:28:25 PM2/9/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
can you add the capability of trigger the tab swiching with Ctrl-Tab and use mouse scrolling to continue the tab switching if mouse is in the tab preview ?

going to firefox icon is a bit far (and I don't use touchpad to do the 3 finger right slide)

Dmitry Pashkevich

Feb 10, 2011, 3:40:53 AM2/10/11
to mozilla-labs
I am little worried about that unloading of 'unused' tab. How'd you
deal with the case when there's a webapp opened and it'll probably
lose its state when the browser helpfully unloads it?

Edward Lee

Feb 10, 2011, 11:35:56 AM2/10/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Dmitry Pashkevich <Dip...@mail.ru> wrote:
> deal with the case when there's a webapp opened and it'll probably
> lose its state when the browser helpfully unloads it?
Unloading a tab could behave just like when Firefox automatically
restores your browsing session after restarting (perhaps after you
quit, or installed an add-on or crashed). This means Firefox would
remember what you've typed in the page, etc. Additionally, for really
important tabs, you could pin them so that they never get unloaded.

Ed

Mikhail

Feb 24, 2011, 8:00:15 PM2/24/11
to mozilla-labs
I like the Home Dash interface, but what it's done to tab
switching... not at all. Being able to constantly view open tabs and
Ctrl-Tab / Ctrl-Shift-Tab forward and backward through them is a super-
fast way to deal with switching between tabs - and I tend to have a
lot of tabs open at once (and to use all of them, so I don't really
need the browser to do anything special with them). The Home Dash
thing of forcing me to use the mouse to scroll through tabs, and of
not letting me see them all at once (slowing me down since now I have
to examine each tab individually) is something I'm not at all a fan
of.