Towards Browse-Based Browsing with Home Dash

Edward Lee

Jan 26, 2011, 4:59:25 PM1/26/11
to Mozilla Labs Group
Check out the latest Prospector experiment:
https://mozillalabs.com/prospector/2011/01/26/towards-browse-based-browsing-with-home-dash

Please leave feedback on that post in this thread.

Ed

Yoz Grahame

Jan 26, 2011, 7:11:58 PM1/26/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful stuff! Am using it for a while now to see how I get on.

A couple of requests, which you're probably thinking about already:
  1. Faster access to pinned tabs (The demo video shows what looks like a column of pinned tabs below the FF icon, but it doesn't seem to happen in my install)
  2. Faster access to the bookmarks in my bookmark bar
  3. Hide/move Firefox icon (somehow... I'm lacking suggestions for exactly what to do with it, but providing the option to simply bind it to a key of choice - e.g. a Function key or similar, rather than the Ctrl-L combo - would be good)
None of these are essential, of course. Thanks so much for making this, it's really interesting!

-- Yoz

Yoz Grahame

Jan 26, 2011, 7:25:20 PM1/26/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
And another request, rather more urgent: At present, updating the Home Dash view in line with text entry in the search box seems to be triggered by keydown; this causes major perf issues if the update is costly (say, because you have a massive history and several hundred open tabs... yeah, I'm afraid so). Perhaps throttle by timeout instead?

-- Yoz

Edward Lee

Jan 26, 2011, 8:03:36 PM1/26/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
I've written a Tips and Troubleshooting post for Home Dash 1:
http://mozillalabs.com/prospector/2011/01/27/tips-and-troubleshooting-for-home-dash-1/

So check out that page for keyboard shortcuts!

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Yoz Grahame <yoz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Faster access to pinned tabs

You can create pinned tabs by dragging them left. (I know, not very
easy to find right now.) Now you can just hit ctrl-1 to jump to the
first pinned tab.

> Faster access to the bookmarks in my bookmark bar

The search will still find your bookmarks, but won't indicate that
they're bookmarks quite yet. But perhaps when there's customization of
the dashboard area, it'll somewhat act like what we have with the
bookmarks bar now.

> Hide/move Firefox icon
I've been thinking about hiding the icon completely if you're not
moving the pointer. So if you're watching a full screen HTML5 video,
the icon will just fade away.

> a Function key or similar, rather than the Ctrl-L combo

Are you looking for a keyboard combo to toggle Home Dash? As you
pointed out, you can hit ctrl-l to activate it. Hitting escape will
get rid of the dashboard.

> this causes major perf issues if the update is costly

I think this might be related to the recently added thumbnails. Before
history searching felt much faster. But indeed, searching through tabs
and history on a timeout might be needed.

Ed

MetaMonk

Jan 26, 2011, 9:39:59 PM1/26/11
to mozilla-labs
The biggest issue I've had with it since I've installed it tonight is
that I have to either disable ScriptBlock to best use HomeDash or vice
versa. Normally under the betas the little SB icon would come up next
to the address bar, but no more. Is there anyway this can be resolved?

-- Brian

On Jan 26, 8:03 pm, Edward Lee <edi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> I've written a Tips and Troubleshooting post for Home Dash 1:http://mozillalabs.com/prospector/2011/01/27/tips-and-troubleshooting...

Edward Lee

Jan 26, 2011, 9:45:26 PM1/26/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Edward Lee <edi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> I've written a Tips and Troubleshooting post for Home Dash 1:
And it's already outdated! ;)

Tips and Troubleshooting for Home Dash 1 (and 2)
http://mozillalabs.com/prospector/2011/01/27/tips-and-troubleshooting-for-home-dash-1/?and-2

Ed

Kevin Dangoor

Jan 26, 2011, 11:10:40 PM1/26/11
to mozilla-labs
This is quite a fun UI to use, Ed. Great start!

One comment: I couldn't find a way to go to a URL directly (short of
being one of those people that does a google search for yahoo.com :)

Kevin

On Jan 26, 4:59 pm, Edward Lee <edi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Check out the latest Prospector experiment:https://mozillalabs.com/prospector/2011/01/26/towards-browse-based-br...

Brian Kolczynski

Jan 26, 2011, 11:17:35 PM1/26/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Kevin,

If you hold the ctrl key and double-tap L, it brings up the address bar for the tab you're using.

Edward Lee

Jan 26, 2011, 11:18:12 PM1/26/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Kevin Dangoor <kdan...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> One comment: I couldn't find a way to go to a URL directly (short of
> being one of those people that does a google search for yahoo.com :)
You should be able to just type in the url that you want and hit enter.

... but if you have a "top match", I suppose that gets tricky. Maybe
there should be an override like holding "shift"?

Pro-tip! Hit cmd-l twice to get the current location filled in, so you
can edit the path/query/etc. :)

Ed

Edward Lee

Jan 26, 2011, 11:24:05 PM1/26/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 6:39 PM, MetaMonk <brianko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> the little SB icon would come up next to the address bar
It sounds like ScriptBlock is only adding itself to the main Firefox
UI, namely the location bar. Theoretically that add-on could hook into
the Home Dash interface if it was a part of Firefox. Also, if the
add-on added itself to the new Firefox 4 add-on bar, that should still
show even if Home Dash is active.

Until then, you could use Home Dash 2 with the alt-ctrl-shift-d soft
toggle to restore the Firefox UI including ScriptBlock.

Ed

Kevin Dangoor

Jan 26, 2011, 11:30:49 PM1/26/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Edward Lee <edi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Kevin Dangoor <kdan...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> One comment: I couldn't find a way to go to a URL directly (short of
> being one of those people that does a google search for yahoo.com :)
You should be able to just type in the url that you want and hit enter.

... but if you have a "top match", I suppose that gets tricky. Maybe
there should be an override like holding "shift"?

Yes, that was exactly the problem. In fact, I was trying to get to the top page of mozillalabs.com and my other matches there weren't letting me...

Pro-tip! Hit cmd-l twice to get the current location filled in, so you
can edit the path/query/etc. :)

That's the key! Perfect

Kevin

--
Kevin Dangoor

work: http://mozilla.com/
email: kdan...@mozilla.com
blog: http://www.BlueSkyOnMars.com

pvinis

Jan 27, 2011, 3:21:45 AM1/27/11
to mozilla-labs
Home Dash is awesome. I think you should fix one thing, and it's all
good.
This one thing, is tab management. I like how the new loaded tabs
appear on the left below the firefox logo. Why not let them stay
there? All open tabs should stay on the left of the screen (or right)
as icons, so we can switch easier. When we need to close a tab, press
cmd-W or middle-click them.

Geobert

Jan 27, 2011, 3:36:25 AM1/27/11
to mozilla-labs

On 27 jan, 02:03, Edward Lee <edi...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> > a Function key or similar, rather than the Ctrl-L combo
>
> Are you looking for a keyboard combo to toggle Home Dash? As you
> pointed out, you can hit ctrl-l to activate it. Hitting escape will
> get rid of the dashboard.

I think he was talking about single key access (like F1 addon) rather
than combo

Home dash is really interesting. I'd like a better bookmark
management, like capability to open a bookmark folder in tabs.

Choosing the position of the logo and how the tab notification expand
(bottom-up, left-right…) would be great

Simon

Jan 27, 2011, 4:01:46 AM1/27/11
to mozilla-labs
I love it, but still have to get used to it.

Feature request: I think it would be great to be able to have to pages
(or more) showing next to each other in the main browsing window, e.g.
instead of two windows (ctrl+n), one window showing two pages in
parallel like in a word processor.

Simon

Jan 27, 2011, 5:43:49 AM1/27/11
to mozilla-labs
Just a little thing: I is hard to see if the icons you can click to
set the search provider are activated or not (difference in opacity
between the two states is to small).

On Jan 26, 10:59 pm, Edward Lee <edi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Check out the latest Prospector experiment:https://mozillalabs.com/prospector/2011/01/26/towards-browse-based-br...

Geobert

Jan 27, 2011, 9:13:45 AM1/27/11
to mozilla-labs
another thing: I have gmail, reader, twitter and so on as pinned tab.
The tab change color when I receive a new mail or tweet etc…
a way to have this notification with Home Dash would be great :)

Jérémy Landes-Nones

Jan 27, 2011, 9:44:29 AM1/27/11
to mozilla-labs
Hi, I just tried to use it, but it doesn't work properly.
I have firefow 4.0b9 and mac OS 10.5.8
When I click on the firefox icon in the corner, my current page
becommes grey as it should, but none of the windows nore tabs appear.
The search box is the only thing on my screen, but it has none of the
icons.
The tabs can appear randomly when my mouse is leaving the page or when
it's
moving hover some tags. I tried shorcuts to change between tabs and it
works.
I hope you'll find how to fix this.
Thanks.

On 26 jan, 22:59, Edward Lee <edi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Check out the latest Prospector experiment:https://mozillalabs.com/prospector/2011/01/26/towards-browse-based-br...

Geobert

Jan 27, 2011, 9:58:20 AM1/27/11
to mozilla-labs
beta 10 is out, maybe home dash works only with it?

On Jan 27, 3:44 pm, Jérémy Landes-Nones

Jérémy Landes-Nones

Jan 27, 2011, 10:06:25 AM1/27/11
to mozilla-labs
Yes, it was that.
The mistake was from me.

Geobert

Jan 27, 2011, 10:58:18 AM1/27/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
> a Function key or similar, rather than the Ctrl-L combo

Are you looking for a keyboard combo to toggle Home Dash? As you
pointed out, you can hit ctrl-l to activate it. Hitting escape will
get rid of the dashboard.

I'm testing F1 as Home dash hotkey with the help of keyconfig (moving F1 extension to F12), it feels quite right (one hand to open home dash,  the other on the mouse)

When trying the search box, I feel the lack of keyboard navigation as I'm typing something, I don't want to put my hand back to the mouse. It's not a problem when I just want to change tab.

alx

Jan 27, 2011, 11:03:23 AM1/27/11
to mozilla-labs
Hello,

I really like Home Dash, but (of course) I have some tings to
implement.

1. faster access to pinned tabs
2. a possibility to fast cycle trough all tabs (tab names + favicon)
would be enough
3. a possibility to use the back button for going back x pages
4. optionality: view one toolbar with: back, forward, all pinned tabs,
scrollable tabs, tab group button (optional), addon buttons (optional)
5. the possibility to specify which tabs are shown in the bottom area
6. maybe tab group integration
7. eventually more, but I've forgotten it
8. tanks for it

ALeX.

Paul Morris

Jan 27, 2011, 2:46:54 PM1/27/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Very nice!  I really like the concept and it works quite well even at this first version.  In the way of feedback I think I'd rather have less of the graphics-intense previewing in exchange for simpler, more responsive UI, particularly when just switching between tabs quickly.

Another quick thought:  Why not have the tabs area go all the way across the top, providing more room for tabs, and move the location field down, just below it on the left?  (Or this could be an optional layout, if/when you get a preferences pane for it?)

Will definitely keep using it!

-Paul

Rob Hannay

Jan 27, 2011, 4:31:04 PM1/27/11
to mozilla-labs
There is a bug in XP:

http://grab.by/grabs/328033cb8c36676bcca1d794699ab352.png
(The content overlaps the Menu bar)

Also, I agree with Paul in the fact that I think there should be some
Preferences. One of the key things that makes Firefox miles better
than competitors is the customisability of it! Things like position of
new tabs, etc.

Another idea is to have an icon for the tab pop up when there is
something new in the tab. Like how an App Tab goes blue, you would be
able to quickly go to that tab to see what has been updated!

Other than that this is a great add on and looks like it's going to be
very successful!

On Jan 26, 9:59 pm, Edward Lee <edi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Check out the latest Prospector experiment:https://mozillalabs.com/prospector/2011/01/26/towards-browse-based-br...

apotropaico

Jan 27, 2011, 7:05:05 PM1/27/11
to mozilla-labs
Nice interface but I miss some features.

- I'd like to see the address of the links when I put my pointer over
them and not the name of the link which usually is the same displayed
in the page and is what is displayed on the side of the FF logo upper
left.

- in the normal (old?) interface I use to have some buttons in the
address bar (web developer for example, of fireftp) that means one
click to see that particular bar, now if I try to see the web
developer bar selecting it from the main menu is the address bar that
appears instead (FF4b10), and if I click on the web developer button
on the address bar, the address bar simply disappear and I got no web
developer bar at all.

- I have many (and I mean many) bookmarks and I don't remember the
name of all of them, that's why I organized them in folders so with
the usual interface if I want to open a bookmark in a new tab I open a
new blank tab, open the bookmarks menu (from the button in the address
bar on FF4b10), open the folder relative to the argument I'm looking
for, select the bookmark (recognizing it reading it's name) and that's
all. with home dash I can't find a way to open a blank tab and so I'm
not able to open a bookmark in a new tab quickly, the only way is open
the bookmarks menu, open the folder, read the name of the bookmark,
close the menu, hit ctrl-t, type the name of the bookmark, hit enter.
I would like to have a faster way to do that :)

- I think there should be a faster way to switch tabs, in the normal
interface is a one click operation because I always see them and they
display the title of the page (assuming you don't have dozens of
opened tabs of course). with home dash I have to ctrl-l to show them,
if the pages have similar content I have to hover them one by one to
find the page I'm looking for (reading their titles), and finally
click on it. or ctrl-tab to carousel all the tabs until finding the
desired one. I think both methods are slower than simply click (or
ctrl-number) on the tab you want.
also theres no way to close "other tabs" and a not active tab (without
previewing it).

- In the normal address bar of FF4b10 there's a nice star-icon that
inform me if I already have an address in my bookmarks or not.
obviously without the address bar I have no clue. also clicking the
star is a fast way to bookmark a page and decide where to store the
bookmark with a second click. I miss this

- I have facebook as an application-tab in FF4b10, this means that
while I'm browsing I can see if I got new stuff simply because the
facebook tab highlights (or the gmail one). without visible tabs this
is impossible.

I really like the concept behind this but maybe I'm too used with the
standard interface, somehow I feel lost without tabs, for example if I
open 10 tabs and then I leave the computer when I return a simple look
tells me where I was, if I got new mails and if someone comment on
facebook, without visible tabs I should open home dash to remember the
10 sites and I have no choice but to visit gmail and facebook to see
if there's new stuff. so the standard interface doing nothing gives me
many informations, the home dash doing an operation (ctrl-l) gives me
just a part of the informations. that's why I find home dash nicer to
see than normal FF but not so user-friendly.

EZ

Patrick O'Leary

Jan 27, 2011, 10:50:37 PM1/27/11
to mozilla-labs
On Jan 27, 3:31 pm, Rob Hannay <bod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, I agree with Paul in the fact that I think there should be some
> Preferences. One of the key things that makes Firefox miles better
> than competitors is the customisability of it! Things like position of
> new tabs, etc.

Way too early for preferences. This is a concept! It should be
radical. No compromises, not yet. That time will come, but for now
spend some time trying to work in the constraints provided by Home
Dash. Where do you work around them? Where does HD provide a different
paradigm? Where is there friction? A set of preferences is an easy way
out of being an active part of the experiment.

As for me, I'm acclimating. There are things I miss right now. I may
not miss them in a week, but I won't know that unless I immerse myself
in the Home Dash experience. I haven't decided if it's brilliant,
crazy, or somewhere in between, but I think it will be a few more days
before I have another set of somewhat coherent thoughts on the matter.

Pete Watts

Jan 28, 2011, 8:19:50 AM1/28/11
to mozilla-labs
I agree with you but it is early days and there is something about
home dash that appeals to me -maybe its the clean look.

I have the menu bar hidden on my usual ff4 setup and pressing alt to
show the menu bar still works, which would give you a way to access
your bookmarks. No idea if alt works with home dash if it's not
normally hidden though so you might have to experiment.

I'm fairly sure that an overlay could be coded to show tabs that have
been updated, as in gmails mail count.

I've marked this as 'interesting' but have already adapted to many of
it's alpha (beta?) idiosyncrasies, which is encouraging.

Hen

Jan 28, 2011, 10:35:20 AM1/28/11
to mozilla-labs
I seem to have an issue with getting this to work at all. When I
activate Home Dash it turns the browser grey with a vertical line just
to left of center. When I use ctl:l and enter a new address it acts
as though it's going to that page, but i don't see anything in the
dash interface. i have to deactivate the Home Dash to see any web
content.

Any suggestions? I'm running XP with FF4b10

Geobert

Jan 28, 2011, 10:37:49 AM1/28/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
try to disable all other extensions you can have, maybe an extension conflict.

Edward Lee

Jan 28, 2011, 5:56:15 PM1/28/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Kevin Dangoor <kdan...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> I couldn't find a way to go to a URL directly [when there's a top match]
This is being tracked here:
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/#issue/71

But I just thought of a great hack for Home Dash 2 users! You just
need to _ask_ for the site you want. ;)

So instead of "yahoo.com", use "yahoo.com?" :)

Ed

apotropaico

Jan 28, 2011, 6:31:13 PM1/28/11
to mozilla-labs
Don't get me wrong Pete as I said: I like it. I like the idea and the
look too.
the thing that makes me think is that in a text editing application,
let's say like vim for example, the main thing you are doing the whole
time is type and so a keyboard shortcuts interface seem the most logic
choice.
on the other hand in a browser the main thing you're doing is...
well... browsing :) and I think that this occupation is a mouse driven
one (yes you could navigate through the links of a page with the tab
key but why??).
with this in mind I think that as I already have my hand on the mouse
the fastest way to switch tab (for example) is clicking on it, I mean
that there are operations that, by my point of view, can't be faster
than a click especially thinking that my hand is already on the mouse
and I don't know if I can accept to be uncomfortable just to have a
nicer interface (after some months the nice interface became just an
interface but the "uncomfortableness" remain).
I think that change the way to do things is a good thing itself if it
makes you more "productive" or comfortable or fast but not the
contrary and I think it's something to have in mind even in the early
stage of a thing like this even just to not waste time and efforts in
things not needed or uncomfortable to use.
maybe the right way could be somewhere in the middle? something like
an hybrid interface with less things visible and the rest home dashed?
but I don't want to make your job :) you have wonderful ideas as we
all FF users know very well and I'm sure that this thing will be a
great new and innovative interface :)

DavidIllsley

Jan 29, 2011, 4:44:31 AM1/29/11
to mozilla-labs
First up, I'm enjoying Home Dash... I'm normally pretty cautious with
new browser concepts, but this is a really good first step.

Some gentle (and probably not unique) criticism:
1. The 'New Tab' Button/Checkbox thing is unclear. I think I've just
about understood what to expect, but it was very confusing up-front.
Would be much clearer if it was just a checkbox
2. The location/search bar isn't as good as the standard Firefox bar.
The thing which most frustrates me is not being able to use the cursor
keys to select an item shown in the list.
3. The tab icons which appear on the left can be useful, but the fact
that they don't seem to wait for action is a little frustrating.
4. Performance is critical, and on my Linux box, is just a bit too
laggy. Things seem better on my (older) mac.

Overall, I'm encouraged by what I see so far, and I look forward to
seeing improvements in the future.
David

AlexT

Jan 29, 2011, 5:30:06 PM1/29/11
to mozilla-labs
Great work!
So far it seems many steps towards how I have been stacking several
extensions to browse how I want to browse (a big fixation on keeping
vertical pixels for pages).

Three things that are big for me so far:
1. Like David Illsley, I miss the cursor keys to select non-first
matches. Enabling these would leave my awesome bar autopilot in full
control!
2. Similarly, an obvious way of using the keyboard to switch search
engines would be good. (I'm used to Alt-downarrow, W to select
wikipedia, for example). I could have missed something here, but I
can't seem to find a mouseless option?.
3. Biggest of all, is there a way to make the url of links display on
hover? When I mouse-over I get the content of the "Title" tag on the
link at top left, wouldn't the url be much more appropriate?

Other than those, awesome stuff, can't wait to see where it goes next.

Edward Lee

Jan 29, 2011, 6:20:18 PM1/29/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 2:30 PM, AlexT <patternju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> cursor keys to select non-first matches
Yup. Tracking this here:
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues#issue/69

> using the keyboard to switch search engines would be good

Pointing at the search engines should show a keyboard shortcut. It
should be what you would have used to activate the search box
(ctrl-k). You can press it multiple times to cycle.

Or alternatively in the next release, if you've had muscle memory to
do "ctrl-l then tab" or "ctrl-t then tab" to get to the search box,
that'll work in addition to cycling through the engines:
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/closed#issue/80

> When I mouse-over I get the content of the "Title"

Actually, it's the alt tag, but that reminded me that I forgot to
check for "title" ;)
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/issue/83

> wouldn't the url be much more appropriate?

Only if urls mean anything to you. :) But I'm thinking for those that
really do want it, they could perhaps hold shift to see the full url.
No prefs!
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues#issue/67

Ed

Pete Watts

Jan 30, 2011, 12:27:37 PM1/30/11
to mozilla-labs
Would it be possible to setup changing search engines using a letter
prefix? For instance, for years i've used a bookmark for google which
has 'http://www.google.com/search?q=%s' in it and I set the keyword as
g. Therefore when I want to search google i type 'g <search query>'
and off it goes to google. At the time I couldn't get other search
engines to work in the same way so I just used google.

Rather than append the search query to the url as i'm doing maybe home
dash could parse the input, and redirect the search query to the
correct search engine. g for google, b for bing etc. No need for
tabbing in this case.

On a different note the requirement to see the url is more a hangover
from the status bar in that we like to know where we're going to end
up on the web. Not everyone enjoys being rickrolled :)

On Jan 29, 11:20 pm, Edward Lee <edi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 2:30 PM, AlexT <patternjugglers...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > cursor keys to select non-first matches
>
> Yup. Tracking this here:https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues#issue/69
>
> > using the keyboard to switch search engines would be good
>
> Pointing at the search engines should show a keyboard shortcut. It
> should be what you would have used to activate the search box
> (ctrl-k). You can press it multiple times to cycle.
>
> Or alternatively in the next release, if you've had muscle memory to
> do "ctrl-l then tab" or "ctrl-t then tab" to get to the search box,
> that'll work in addition to cycling through the engines:https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/closed#issue/80
>
> > When I mouse-over I get the content of the "Title"
>
> Actually, it's the alt tag, but that reminded me that I forgot to
> check for "title" ;)https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/issue/83

Edward Lee

Jan 30, 2011, 12:36:07 PM1/30/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Pete Watts <monk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i type 'g <search query>' and off it goes to google
Does that not work for you in Home Dash? It should be detecting your
bookmark keywords as well as search engine keywords. It should even
start loading a preview for it as it'll be considered a "top match".

Ed

Pete Watts

Jan 30, 2011, 1:18:44 PM1/30/11
to mozilla-labs
oh yes it works fine. I was suggesting it as a way of selecting the
search engine rather than tabbing through them, which is an additional
keystroke(s).

I don't know if you can append the search term to other search engine
urls nowdays but I couldn't 10 years ago. If you can then my idea is a
little pointless :)

Ricardo Panaggio

Jan 30, 2011, 4:17:12 PM1/30/11
to mozilla-labs
I've got a bug here that I haven't seen anyone claiming about: the
tabs here overlab everything on non-fullscreen mode. Fullscreen
everything seems ok.

Is it really a bug? Maybe Home dash was just created to be used on
fullscreen mode.

I don't like fullscreen mode because it blinks a lot here (the
opensource drivers for my ati gpu are far from 100% functional). I
have a Ubuntu Maverick box with gnome and compiz. I get the same issue
using metacity, so it seems not to be compiz nor metacity (or both,
but it would be less intuitive) the evil guy out there.

Patrick O'Leary

Jan 30, 2011, 4:26:03 PM1/30/11
to mozilla-labs
On Jan 30, 3:17 pm, Ricardo Panaggio <panaggio.rica...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I've got a bug here that I haven't seen anyone claiming about: the
> tabs here overlab everything on non-fullscreen mode. Fullscreen
> everything seems ok.

Not a bug, but by design. Home Dash should be obscuring the regular
chrome (the tab bar and address/navigation bar) at all times, even in
fullscreen. In fact if it isn't doing that in fullscreen that probably
is a bug. Fullscreen works correctly on Vista, so might be Linux-only?

lol_li

Jan 30, 2011, 10:05:26 PM1/30/11
to mozilla-labs
First i want to say I realy like this but got some problems using it
=(
I Got 2 Monitors, one of them in Pivotmodus so its 1080x1920 and not
1920x1080. The problem is that the most used sites and the tabs are
displayed with small height and big width so i cant see the whole
preview or all my most used sites. If this addon would recognize where
the firefoxwindow ends and where is space to display thos tabs etc
this would be nice (or maybe just one option to display things one
underneath the other would be good for me).
Maybe one additional button for bookmarks can show up if u open the
dashbord and when you walk with your mouse over it the sites where
shown.
Here are two pictures relating to my problem.
[url=http://www.img-host.de/archiv.php?
bild=54739&bild_name=ff1OM4U4.jpg][img]http://www.img-host.de/bild.php/
54739,ff1OM4U4.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.img-host.de/archiv.php?
bild=54740&bild_name=ff2J4ERE.jpg][img]http://www.img-host.de/bild.php/
54740,ff2J4ERE.jpg[/img][/url]

Edward Lee

Jan 30, 2011, 11:31:55 PM1/30/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 7:05 PM, lol_li <b.kla...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Here are two pictures relating to my problem.
> http://www.img-host.de/archiv.php?bild=54739&bild_name=ff1OM4U4.jpg
For that first one, could you try moving your window to the size you
want then disable then re-enable Home Dash?

I've opened an issue here:
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/issue/93

Ed

ghis

Jan 31, 2011, 5:15:02 AM1/31/11
to mozilla-labs
There is something I'm really missing in this addons : the possibility
to view the URL of a link when I hover it.

It's a problem for the following reasons:
- it breaks my browsing workflow: when I read a post and there are
links, I hover them to see the URL and in 99% of the case I know if
it's worth opening the link in background or not. In Home Dash, I
can't because the name of the links is generally not enough
informative and displaying the name of the linked site (as Home Dash
does) is not more informative. So I open too much links or I end up
not opening the links (which is a pity because the richness of the web
lies in hypertext).

- it's a major security hole! You don't really know where you're
going! I recognize that it's not a problem for the lambda-user as he
never looks at the URLs and searches "facebook" in Google to go to
facebook.com. But a little more advanced users are used to look at the
URLs to see in there's a danger in going there, or if it's an ad trap,
or a rick roll or whatever.
I would like very much to have the possibility to see where the links
are pointing.

By the way, the addon is nice. I like the next tab to appear on half
the screen when I <ctrl-tab>, good UI idea!

Edward Lee

Jan 31, 2011, 9:11:17 AM1/31/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 2:15 AM, ghis <ghisla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So I open too much links or I end up not opening the links
Curious, why do you end up not opening the link? Do you feel like you
already have that page open or your second point of security issues?

> - it's a major security hole!

What kind of situations would these be? Home Dash already lets you
know if you're about to switch sites or stay on the same site. And
Firefox has built in blocking of "bad" websites. But even with the
full url, how does that help you avoid a rick roll? ;)

Click me! https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/commit/d9bf

Just kidding ;) That's a fix that lets you hold shift to show the full
url when pointing at a link. It'll be in version 3.

Ed

lol_li

Jan 31, 2011, 10:59:05 AM1/31/11
to mozilla-labs
HI again :D
1. ok after I re-enabled Home Dash it works fine (http://www.img-
host.de/archiv.php?bild=54867&bild_name=ff1ZJ0MT.jpg) and looks
great.

2. Maybe an option to controll the percentage of screen where the tabs
are display (while hitting ctrl + tab) would be nice. So you can
display for example on one third the site you are on and on the rest
(2/3) the tabs. This would be good for me ;)

3. Another thing is the ctrl+w function to close tabs. I realy like
this but from time to time I accidentally close my firefox. Maybe this
should not be allowed to work if there is only one tab left.

4. I would like to set some Sites individually on the overview by
pressing ctrl+l (or maybe all )

5. Is there some kind of hotkey to show me my bookmarks? If not maybe
you can make one. I Imagine some combination and if I hit it my
regular bookmarks are displayed in a sidewindow (such as the
tabpreview) as a list or something. For me I got some bookmarkordners
where I regular open all pages in it by clicking right and then open
all in new tab would like to do this here somehow.

Hope you understand what I mean and thanks for your work

ghis

Feb 1, 2011, 3:55:55 AM2/1/11
to mozilla-labs
On 31 jan, 15:11, Edward Lee <edi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 2:15 AM, ghis <ghislain.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > So I open too much links or I end up not opening the links
>
> Curious, why do you end up not opening the link? Do you feel like you
> already have that page open or your second point of security issues?

No, it's a matter of personal taste: I don't like clutter, I don't
like unnecessary actions, I like my browsing workflow to be as fluid
as possible, with as little keyboard and mouse actions as possible.
It's stressing me to have tons of tabs opened, I don't like my
computer to become slow (even for a few seconds).
Maybe it sounds weird but it's personal preference: I prefer to see
the URL, have an 99%-sure opinion about if I want to open the link or
not (when it's blog posts, you can generally know if you want to open
it just with the domain, the date and the slug, which generally
appears in the URL) rather than opening tons of tabs and then contort
my fingers to make several <ctrl-w> (which are less evident to make
with an azerty keyboard) or move my mouse and middle-click several
times.

> > - it's a major security hole!
>
> What kind of situations would these be? Home Dash already lets you
> know if you're about to switch sites or stay on the same site. And
> Firefox has built in blocking of "bad" websites. But even with the
> full url, how does that help you avoid a rick roll? ;)

Ok, Firefox has built-in blocking of bad websites, but you can easily
go to a bad one without Firefox warning you. It's based on the Google
black list, isn't it? And Google, as powerful as it is, can not
reference all the malicious websites, especially when they are created
every day.
I'm a bit surprised that a Mozilla people jokes with security... And a
lot more that an experienced web developer thinks that the ability to
see the URL is not so important. Hyperlinks are the base of the web,
no ? Is Mozilla switching to an Apple perception of the web ? Just
kidding ;)

> Click me!https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/commit/d9bf
>
> Just kidding ;) That's a fix that lets you hold shift to show the full
> url when pointing at a link. It'll be in version 3.

Many thanks for the reactivity, this is great!
By the way, a possible improvement could be the possibility to set
this behavior as the default one.

Once again, thanks for this nice UI experience.

> Ed

Cesar Carruitero

Feb 1, 2011, 10:05:45 AM2/1/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
If you disable and active bar navigation, you can use bar navigation with home dash

2011/2/1 ghis <ghisla...@gmail.com>

> Ed

Pete Watts

Feb 1, 2011, 12:11:16 PM2/1/11
to mozilla-labs
I wonder, are we pulling you away from your original vision of home
dash or do you welcome these kind of suggestions?

pete

On Jan 31, 2:11 pm, Edward Lee <edi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 2:15 AM, ghis <ghislain.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > So I open too much links or I end up not opening the links
>
> Curious, why do you end up not opening the link? Do you feel like you
> already have that page open or your second point of security issues?
>
> > - it's a major security hole!
>
> What kind of situations would these be? Home Dash already lets you
> know if you're about to switch sites or stay on the same site. And
> Firefox has built in blocking of "bad" websites. But even with the
> full url, how does that help you avoid a rick roll? ;)
>
> Click me!https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/commit/d9bf

ghis

Feb 2, 2011, 11:29:03 AM2/2/11
to mozilla-labs
I have a question about the history: do Home Dash and Firefox share
the same history? It doesn't look like they do.

For example, why I type 'p' in the awesome bar, it brings me my most
visited "p" site: http://p....net/index.php?action=unread and it
doesn't when I type in the textfield when I do a <ctrl-t>.

Is it a design feature? It would be nice if Home Dash uses the Firefox
history.

Edward Lee

Feb 7, 2011, 2:01:24 PM2/7/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:21 AM, pvinis <pvi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This one thing, is tab management. I like how the new loaded tabs
> appear on the left below the firefox logo. Why not let them stay
> there?
Those icons appear when a background page has something to tell you.
Most likely you've just opened the page in the background or it has
been changing its title (like Gmail). So they go away after you click
them because you'll have seen what the page was trying to alert to
you. Additionally, those icons will blink and disappear after a while
so that they don't take up space on your screen if you choose not to
switch to those pages now.

Ed

Edward Lee

Feb 7, 2011, 2:06:51 PM2/7/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:36 AM, Geobert <geo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Home dash is really interesting. I'd like a better bookmark
> management, like capability to open a bookmark folder in tabs.
Right now the top sites area only supports opening one page at a time,
but in the future it could support showing groups of pages. Perhaps if
those pages were in a folder or share a tag of some sort.
Alternatively, perhaps there could be a way to select (click/drag?
shift-click?) multiple sites and open them at the same time without
needing to click, activate home dash, click, repeat.

> Choosing the position of the logo and how the tab notification expand
> (bottom-up, left-right…) would be great
That could be useful, but one issue is that the status text appears
next to the Firefox logo. So that only really leaves two locations:
top-left and bottom-left. (Assuming left-to-right text.) And then if
it was in the bottom left corner, how would that affect the layout of
the rest of the Home Dash interface?

Ed

Edward Lee

Feb 7, 2011, 2:16:53 PM2/7/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 8:03 AM, alx <al...@kazik.de> wrote:
> 1. faster access to pinned tabs
If you use the keyboard, you can jump straight to that pinned tab by
pressing ctrl-# where # is the position of the pinned tab.

> 2. a possibility to fast cycle trough all tabs (tab names + favicon)
Version 4 will have a way to cycle through tabs without needing to
activate the whole Home Dash interface.

> 3. a possibility to use the back button for going back x pages
For now, you can right-click the page and select the first item to go
back a page. You can also go forwards, reload, and stop from the
context menu as well.

> 4. optionality: view one toolbar with: back, forward, all pinned tabs,
> scrollable tabs, tab group button (optional), addon buttons (optional)
I've been thinking about ways to show these buttons
(back/forward/pinned tabs) without needing to show the whole Home Dash
interface. It would be pretty silly to need to activate Home Dash to
then click another button just to go Back. Showing a toolbar could be
one way but regresses on being able to give the whole page to the web
content.

> 5. the possibility to specify which tabs are shown in the bottom area
I'm assuming you're referring to the area with 24 thumbnails of your
top sites? Yeah, there'll be a way to customize and save your changes
in the future.

> 6. maybe tab group integration
If you're referring to Panorama tab groups, Home Dash should already
only show the tabs of the current Panorama tab group. However, it
doesn't provide a way to switch to different Panorama tab groups.
There's an issue filed for this:
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/#issue/72

Ed

Edward Lee

Feb 7, 2011, 2:29:07 PM2/7/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Patrick O'Leary
<patrick...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Way too early for preferences. This is a concept! It should be
> radical. No compromises, not yet.
I agree that it's too early for some preferences. A lot of the
interface will still be going through major changes, so preferences
that change some behavior or layout might become obsolete soon after.
Home Dash provides some "extras" to satisfy the advanced users. For
example, pressing ctrl-l twice to get the current page's url. Or
holding shift to see the full url when pointing at links.

However, there are various "magic numbers" picked out that might work
well as preferences. For example in version 4, there'll be a concept
of "related tabs" where one metric is to consider tabs opened soon
after another to be related. Right now a magic value of 30 seconds is
used. Providing a preference to adjust that could be useful for people
to trying out a different value and reporting back what works better
for them (and maybe for other people too!)

Ed

Patrick O'Leary

Feb 7, 2011, 9:12:50 PM2/7/11
to mozilla-labs
On Feb 7, 1:29 pm, Edward Lee <edi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> However, there are various "magic numbers" picked out that might work
> well as preferences. For example in version 4, there'll be a concept
> of "related tabs" where one metric is to consider tabs opened soon
> after another to be related. Right now a magic value of 30 seconds is
> used. Providing a preference to adjust that could be useful for people
> to trying out a different value and reporting back what works better
> for them (and maybe for other people too!)

That one's fair enough :-)

On the other hand, HD4 has re-confused me. As I previously explained
somewhere--maybe it was an email early in the experiment--I've mapped
the CTRL+PgUp and CTRL+PgDn key combinations to the Back and Forward
keys on my laptop's keyboard, respectively. This gives me the ability
to scroll through tabs in a window without chording, and replaces two
otherwise useless keys (Backspace is already Back, and I don't use
Forward nearly often enough to justify it's own key). Under HD4, this
no longer works, because of something you're doing, but the worst part
is I can't figure out what. CTRL+PgUp and CTRL+PgDn used to be
symmetric, but there seems to be a weird interaction with the groups
which makes going "left" (CTRL+PgUp) different than "right" (CTRL
+PgDn). I haven't figured out which tab I get to if I hit either
combination, using the context display (which is a great idea, by the
way) as a guide. I get different behavior if I additionally hold CTRL
through the operation. In short, I'm lost again! And it's even worse
since I don't see a way to call up a list of all tabs currently open
in the window; only a few show up in the tab frame.

Edward Lee

Feb 7, 2011, 9:27:41 PM2/7/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Patrick O'Leary
<patrick...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've mapped the CTRL+PgUp and CTRL+PgDn key combinations to the Back and Forward keys on my laptop's keyboard
I'm curious how that actually shows up to Firefox (e.g., it sends a
"ctrl" press then "pgup" press then release of which one in what
order).

> I get different behavior if I additionally hold CTRL through the operation.

What happens when you press forwards? Do you see a list of thumbnail
previews or does it just switch to some page? If you press forwards
multiple times, do you see a new page being previewed? And if you
press back, does the larger previewed thumbnail move back left?

How does holding Ctrl change the behavior exactly?

Ed

Edward Lee

Feb 8, 2011, 7:10:41 PM2/8/11
<patrick...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On the other hand, HD4 has re-confused me.
You can try out version 5 then. ;)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-home-dash/versions#version-5

I removed the ability to "wrap around" when switching "left" of the
first page and "right" of the last page. This means it'll be easier to
get back to the first page if you scroll left from the Firefox icon
after scrolling right a bit; no need to worry that you'll overshoot
and end up on some random page. (It did seem kinda odd that there was
such an easy way to jump to "the most unused tab that isn't related to
the current tab" with a single swipe to the left.)

I suppose that means your Back button won't switch any tabs either.
But this also means you have an easy way to view your current page
context.

Ed

Patrick O'Leary

Feb 8, 2011, 7:23:21 PM2/8/11
to mozilla-labs
On Feb 7, 8:27 pm, Edward Lee <edi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Patrick O'Leary<patrick.ole...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've mapped the CTRL+PgUp and CTRL+PgDn key combinations to the Back and Forward keys on my laptop's keyboard
>
> I'm curious how that actually shows up to Firefox (e.g., it sends a
> "ctrl" press then "pgup" press then release of which one in what
> order).

I've verified (using the behavior) that it's equivalent to press-and-
hold CTRL, press PgUp or PgDn, release CTRL. You should be able to
replicate by opening up a few tabs and using those keypresses. I'll
refer to these buttons as TabRight and TabLeft from now on because I'm
getting tired of typing out the full combos.

> > I get different behavior if I additionally hold CTRL through the operation.
>
> What happens when you press forwards? Do you see a list of thumbnail
> previews or does it just switch to some page? If you press forwards
> multiple times, do you see a new page being previewed? And if you
> press back, does the larger previewed thumbnail move back left?

You do get the context previews, and you get a near-animation of the
next tab sliding into place (which I think is incidental). But if you
press TabRight followed by TabLeft, you don't necessarily end up where
you started, and repeated presses of TabRight will end up switching
between only two of the available tabs. Further, the context popup
only shows you what will happen on the immediate next press of
TabRight; no indication on what comes up on TabLeft and no wider
context for multiple presses.

> How does holding Ctrl change the behavior exactly?

It's equivalent to pressing down and holding CTRL and pressing the
PgUp and PgDn keys repeatedly without letting off of CTRL if you're
trying to replicate. Here you get identical results to pressing CTRL
+Tab and CTRL+SHIFT+Tab, while holding down CTRL, which is probably
what you tested (well, the Mac equivalent.) This pretty much works as
I'd expect although I'm still not sold on the dynamic MRU-ish
reordering of tabs.

Now, figuring out what of the above is correct behavior I'll leave to
you! :-)

Thanks, Ed, for your hard work on this.

Edward Lee

Feb 8, 2011, 7:50:40 PM2/8/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Patrick O'Leary
<patrick...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hold CTRL, press PgUp or PgDn, release CTRL
This release ctrl step is what's causing oddness. Home Dash looks for
"ctrl keyup" to stop showing the previews, so as you described,
pressing Forward behaves like you pressed Ctrl-PgDn then quickly
released Ctrl. Switching through multiple pages only works if you keep
holding down Ctrl while pressing Tab or PgDn; otherwise, you end up
switching one page at a time.

> the context popup only shows you what will happen on the immediate next
> press of TabRight; no indication on what comes up on TabLeft

With version 5, you won't run into the issue of Forward then Back
going to different places as Back won't actually go anywhere. So as it
did in version 4, there is no context of what will happen with TabLeft
as you can no longer TabLeft from the first tab. However, if you
TabLeft from the middle of a list (while holding Ctrl), the larger
preview should move left.

How did you map your Back and Forward buttons to Ctrl-PgUp/Ctrl-PgDn?
Is it a Firefox extension or is it a separate application that you
tell what keypresses you want it to simulate?

Ed

Patrick O'Leary

Feb 8, 2011, 9:19:36 PM2/8/11
to mozilla-labs
On Feb 8, 6:50 pm, Edward Lee <edi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Patrick O'Leary<patrick.ole...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > hold CTRL, press PgUp or PgDn, release CTRL
>
> This release ctrl step is what's causing oddness. Home Dash looks for
> "ctrl keyup" to stop showing the previews, so as you described,
> pressing Forward behaves like you pressed Ctrl-PgDn then quickly
> released Ctrl. Switching through multiple pages only works if you keep
> holding down Ctrl while pressing Tab or PgDn; otherwise, you end up
> switching one page at a time.

That's what I figured, and why I'm qualifying with "don't change it
just for me."

> > the context popup only shows you what will happen on the immediate next
> > press of TabRight; no indication on what comes up on TabLeft
>
> With version 5, you won't run into the issue of Forward then Back
> going to different places as Back won't actually go anywhere. So as it
> did in version 4, there is no context of what will happen with TabLeft
> as you can no longer TabLeft from the first tab. However, if you
> TabLeft from the middle of a list (while holding Ctrl), the larger
> preview should move left.

That makes more conceptual sense.

> How did you map your Back and Forward buttons to Ctrl-PgUp/Ctrl-PgDn?
> Is it a Firefox extension or is it a separate application that you
> tell what keypresses you want it to simulate?

It's an AutoHotkey script. I think I can modify it to hold down CTRL
for a second (or so) after releasing the key, though I don't know how
well that will work out if, say, I then press an unrelated key. Like
"W". That could get old.

The script, if anyone is interested:

#NoTrayIcon
Browser_Back::^PgUp
Browser_Forward::^PgDn

Edward Lee

Feb 8, 2011, 10:41:17 PM2/8/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Patrick O'Leary
<patrick...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's an AutoHotkey script
> Browser_Back::^PgUp
> Browser_Forward::^PgDn
Hey, that's pretty neat. Try this:

Browser_Back::Click WheelUp 20 40 2
Browser_Forward::Click WheelDown 20 40 2

Those will make it as if you scrolled the mouse wheel twice at
coordinates 20, 40 (relative to the current window). It does leave the
pointer above the Firefox icon though.

Ed

Conor Anderson

Feb 9, 2011, 9:21:04 AM2/9/11
to mozilla-labs
Just a quick hint, for common navigation issues the MouseGestures
addon greatly enriches Home Dash (e.g. swiping to go back and forth,
roload, etc.) Since Home Dasg takes away the majority of Chrome
buttons.

Patrick O'Leary

Feb 9, 2011, 7:44:26 PM2/9/11
to mozilla-labs
On Feb 8, 9:41 pm, Edward Lee <edi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Patrick O'Leary<patrick.ole...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It's an AutoHotkey script
> > Browser_Back::^PgUp
> > Browser_Forward::^PgDn
>
> Hey, that's pretty neat. Try this:
>
> Browser_Back::Click WheelUp 20 40 2
> Browser_Forward::Click WheelDown 20 40 2

Good idea! I wasn't aware of the mouse behavior (no scroll wheel on
this laptop) so that's a great tip in any case. The caveat can be
overcome, and the original behavior can be maintained in other
applications, with a bit longer script. The mouse can also be sped up
to move to the HD icon, but not to move it away--I suppose that has to
do with how the mouse leaving the icon is being detected.

;Begin AutoHotkey script

#IfWinNotActive ahk_class MozillaWindowClass
; Original behavior
Browser_Back::^PgUp
Browser_Forward::^PgDn
#IfWinNotActive

#IfWinActive ahk_class MozillaWindowClass
; Firefox-specific behavior for Home Dash

*Browser_Back::
SetDefaultMouseSpeed, 0
if (!Dashing) {
MouseGetPos, x, y
Dashing:=true
}
Click WheelUp 20 40 2
return

*Browser_Forward::
SetDefaultMouseSpeed, 0
if (!Dashing) {
MouseGetPos, x, y
Dashing:=true
}
Click WheelDown 20 40 2
return

*Enter::
if (Dashing) {
MouseMove, x, y
Dashing:=false
} else {
Send {Enter}
}
return

#IfWinActive

; End AutoHotkey script

Patrick O'Leary

Feb 9, 2011, 7:58:22 PM2/9/11
to mozilla-labs
On Feb 9, 6:44 pm, "Patrick O'Leary" <patrick.ole...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ;Begin AutoHotkey script

Between the poor formatting and the fact I've already made further
changes, I'll maintain the script here:

https://gist.github.com/819716

Pete Watts

Feb 10, 2011, 6:55:18 AM2/10/11
to mozilla-labs
Something odd in either HD.5 or ff4b11. I upgraded to 11 this morning
and then HD.5 straight after so I'm not sure if the issue is with
something that's changed in 11 or HD.5

I can still see the very tops of the buttons on the navigation bar -
the large back button and three buttons on the right hand side. I
tried disabling the nav bar but that pushed the viewable area up on
top of the close,min,max buttons.

Anyone else seeing this or is it just me?

Patrick O'Leary

Feb 10, 2011, 8:31:36 AM2/10/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
It was Home Dash. I've already filed https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues#issue/143 on it.

Vijay

Feb 23, 2011, 8:15:24 PM2/23/11
to mozilla-labs
hi,
I am not sure whether this is the right forum - but I was using Home
Dash (awesome job btw!) without any issues till a few days ago. Not
sure what happened (whether there was a new update or something), but
all of a sudden, the Firefox 4 beta (on mac osx) has gone back to the
regular interface (ie no HD). I have tried uninstalling and re-
installing the HD add-on, tried the keyboard shortcut to toggle on/off
the appearance of tabs - no luck. Could someone please help?

Thanks in advance,
Vijay