Feedback on Firefox Share

Caspy7

Mar 3, 2012, 5:13:01 AM3/3/12
to mozilla-labs
I don't know if this is the best place to post this. If there is a
better location, let me know.

I've been using Firefox Share for a while now and encountered some
issues. Some might be considered bugs, others just UX.

I'll start by saying that I think that Share is a phenomenal feature
and I use it frequently.
Perhaps many or all of these issues are on your radar, but I don't
know so this could be a good place to surface them.

===
- I see that you can now edit the description (in comparison to F1).
When you put the focus in the description text box, it resizes to be
larger no matter how much text is in it - one line (or no text at all)
and it still expands. Why is this? Perhaps this was done to try to
minimize noise & space?
For me it goes from 2 lines to 4.5. How bout just sticking it at 3 or
3.5 and calling it a day?

- Part of the reason I suggest the above is because of a more serious
issue I've encountered. If you put focus on the description box and
then use the mouse to click on the share button, you will fail because
before the button click registers, the box will resize again making
you miss your mark.
Perhaps this is an issue that can be solved in a technical way, but
just making text box not resize would solve the issue.
Are we resizing so the user can see those extra few pixels of the page
while the description box is not focused? I don't think there is a
great expectation on the user's part to be reading or interacting with
the page when using the share panel.

- You may already know this, but when using the To: textbox for gmail,
the alignment for the autocomplete dropdown menu alignment is wacky.
For me, if I type one letter, the dropdown is to the far left of the
box (mostly out of view) and then as I type it moves to the right more
until its properly aligned with the box.

- Compared with the Twitter & Facebook icons the Gmail icon looks
pretty bad. Looks like it may just be the gmail favico resized.
Again, this is probably already on your radar.

- The Gmail profile image is just a white square for me (even though I
do have one).

- I noticed that when receiving an email from the service the email
identifier/sender is <em...@domain.com> (brackets included) with no
name. As far as I can tell F1 included the first name (not sure why
not the last too). But I sent myself a test message and when it
showed up on my phone it just had the bracketed address.
When I receive an email whose sender just has a bracketed email
address it immediately smells of spam - it's likely a spoofed address
sent out by some bot.
Perhaps there is a technical reason this is the case, if so, I
understand, but if we could include some or all of the name, I think
that would be preferable.

- After I shared a link (via email at least) to my brother I clicked
the share icon again and all of the same info was still present
(recipient, description, etc). I was somewhat tired so I thought in
my droned state I must have clicked away earlier and not sent it. I
almost sent it again, but decided to check my gmail sent folder (it
was there). To prevent this can we clear/reset the text fields after
a share?
This could also be seen as a privacy issue. Perhaps I share something
on the family computer and a family member comes along later and sees
a link or description that I shared that I preferred they not see.

- Sometimes after sharing a link, the green confirmation panel will
display and then the original share panel will display rather than
disappear.

- I would prefer to be able to click the icon (or hit the shortcut
key) and start typing the recipient (or whatever the first text box
is). I just tested and it seems that clicking the Share icon does not
gain focus away from the page (keyboard navigation such as the space
bar still affects the background page).
A desire I shared about F1 was to be able to share as easily & quickly
as possible. Being able to type a recipient or (twitter description)
and hitting tab a couple times & then <space> or <enter> is desirable
- not needing somewhere to click with the mouse.

- On a similar, keyboard navigating, note... In F1, the page's
description was not editable. (This I can understand as we don't want
the user to feel they have any obligation to assess or edit it.) It's
editable now, though I'm uncertain if that's necessary. So now it's
showing up in the tab order.
My thought is this. Let's downgrade it's importance to the user and
skip it so hitting tab from the message area goes straight to the
Share button.
I usually don't want to change it, I just want to hit <tab> and
<space> to send.
My question is, can we put the share button in the tab order twice?
Is that possible? This way one could tab from the message area and hit
tab to the share button, but if a user clicked in the description
area, then tabbed out, it would also go to the share button. Put the
description box *after* the first share button in the tab order.

- After hitting send I find myself sitting, watching and waiting while
the panel tells me that it's sending and was successful. I would like
to just get back to what I was doing.
I'm curious why it is not functioning like F1 did, just send in the
background (animating the icon) only letting me know if there was a
problem sending.
If, for some reason, that behavior is not possible, how about at least
making the panel as short as possible so it's *mostly* out of the
way?

- None of the text boxes in Share have [right-click] context menus. I
think this can be a real usability issue for many "normal" users who
are mousers and (perhaps completely) unfamiliar with keyboard
shortcuts. I personally do both and noticed it when I went to paste
an email address the other day.

- There are times in which the formatting of the Share box is suddenly
all wacky. The text box lengths suddenly get very wide (iirc?). I
haven't pinned down a consistent way to duplicate this but I've seen
it a few times. I think it often happens after I'll bring up the box,
do something to make it go away & then bring it back again.

- After a link is successfully shared, the (now green) box reads
"Shared from mozilla.org to" and that's all. The recipient service is
absent.
My hope is, if this confirmation box needs to be kept, that it will be
spruced up some to look a little slicker somehow.
===

Apologies if my detailed-ness is a bit much.
Like I said before I very much like this feature and think it's quite
valuable. But as it stands, because of many of these issues, I feel
that it is not ready for mass consumption (release quality).

Bryan Clark

Mar 5, 2012, 6:17:53 PM3/5/12
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mark!  This is awesome feedback!

Caspy7

Mar 13, 2012, 4:17:22 PM3/13/12
to mozilla-labs
Again, don't know if this is the best way to go about it, but I took a
couple of screenshots to illustrate.

This shows the odd rendering that pops up sporadically.
http://tinypic.com/r/s6uqhg/5

This demonstrates the odd alignment when typing email contacts in.
http://tinypic.com/r/ama7hj/5

I'm on Windows XP.