non-programmer seeking to use Chromeless as a SSB

anthropornis

Oct 27, 2011, 11:16:26 PM10/27/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how I can make simple site-specific browsers
using Chromeless.

From what I am reading, Chromeless is gear toward developers, so that
they can literally build their own browser. But I am not a developer. I
just want to take a URL and later access it without loading the full
Firefox experience.

Is there a quick and easy way to just throw a URL at Chromeless like you
would at Prism and just use it, without much ceremony? Or is that still
a future goal?

Thanks!

anthropornis

Nov 1, 2011, 4:33:57 PM11/1/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Is this the wrong place to ask this?

This list has a flurry of activity, but nothing on this thread. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Lloyd Hilaiel

Nov 1, 2011, 4:43:04 PM11/1/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Sorry for the delay. That's not really a goal of chromeless. The goal of chromeless is more as a developer facing tool/platform.

The ability to turn a URL into a application is something that browsers themselves will probably get better at.

Interestingly there was a community attempt to revive prism, http://www.salsitasoft.com/blog/2011/02/09/prism-is-now-webrunner/ , but it seems like *that* project is now discontinued.

lloyd

anthropornis

Nov 1, 2011, 11:23:31 PM11/1/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
No worries.

I misunderstood Chromeless then. Everything I read (e.g., Wikipedia)
indicated Prism "became" Chromeless, as though the purposes of each were
the same.

And indeed, WebRunner died too. So there is no good SSB on Linux (I
don't know about other platforms, haven't had the opportunity to use
Fluid on a Mac).

Does anyone know if this is actually on the to-do list for Firefox
proper (but with better isolation of, e.g., cookies, bookmarks, et al,
than seen in Google Chrome currently)?

Thanks