People's Complaints

1 view

Betsy Ross

Jan 21, 2011, 8:36:00 AM1/21/11
to mozilla-labs-testpilot
Hey... I didn't download this crap.
I like 3.6.
But... when I opened my FF, it was highjacked by the beta version.
Yup, FF highjacked FF.
I can't stand the beta version(s).
The back button is only available to go back one page, it's big &
bulky, it's slow as hell, the spellcheck doesn't work right, etc. etc.
etc. etc. The list of problems is enormously long.
It pisses me off the most that the development team has installed some
sort of automatic highjacking bit. So now, though I've re-installed
3.6 at least 3 times, I continually get highjacked & there is nothingi
can do about it... except switch to another browser.
But I can't find one that's any faster or easier or better than 3.6.
ugh.

harrygreen

Jan 22, 2011, 6:39:54 AM1/22/11
to mozilla-labs-testpilot
I presume you mean your firefox automatically updated itself to FF
beta without you asking for it.

That didn't happen here. The beta was mentioned somewhere and I chose
to install it. But on other PCs I still have 3.6 working fine.

Not only that, but on the machines where I have chosen to install the
beta, I can still use 3.6 if I want.

> The back button is only available to go back one page

That would be impossible, especially on sites that do
location.replace, where you *must* go back more than one page or you
don't go back at all. But you can still go back further if you hover
the cursor over the back button and the previous pages become visible
again. Slightly less convenient, but its still available.

gerryggg

Jan 22, 2011, 7:33:11 PM1/22/11
to mozilla-labs-testpilot
I have one computer where I still have 3.6 or the beta available. It
defaults to 3.6. I have to manually start the beta. The other
computer seems to have "upgraded itself" as harrygreen claims. I
never downloaded or installed the beta and I don't remember seeing
anything asking me if I want to install it. It doesn't really bother
me me, but it's curious none the less. As far as the "back" button,
I've found that if I right click it, it gives me a choice of all
a difference. It still just says "go back one page." What OS are you
using? I'm running Kubuntu 10.10, 32bit. (I was using the 64 bit,
but found certain programs wouldn't work and I had problems on the web
wtih certain embedded videos playing like on Yahoo for example.

harrygreen

Jan 26, 2011, 2:07:21 PM1/26/11
to mozilla-labs-testpilot
You're correct, the back button in b9 needs a right click not a hover
to display the list of previous pages.

Interestingly, one of my machines started to display beta 9 for a
short while, even though I had used a shortcut which normally goes to
FF3.6. But it is back to normal now.

I didn't have time to check it out when it happened, but my best guess
is that although I had closed beta 9 and it had disappeared from my
screen, b9 might still have had a process running in task manager,
causing the short cut icon to reactivate that task (as b9) rather than
starting a new one (as 3.6).

gerryggg

Jan 26, 2011, 4:43:34 PM1/26/11
to mozilla-labs-testpilot
I had actually never installed the beta on the one computer when it
showed up. Now it's gone again, but so are most of my bookmarked
sites on the bookmark toolbar. Sync doesn't seem to want to put them
back either. Luckily it's not my primary computer.

David Weber

Jan 26, 2011, 5:01:08 PM1/26/11
to mozilla-lab...@googlegroups.com
Same here, I downloaded the beta 9 firefox while in my firefox 3.6. One of the firefox start pages or something had an ad about the beta 9 and I downloaded it. I still have the 3.6 which I am in right now because I deleted the beta 9 version completely. When they fix it, I will try it. It is that simple, I still have IE 8 and IE 9 Beta, I also have google chrome on here though I rarely use it. It is like having another car in the garage,once in awhile I take it for a spin to get the cob webs out and see what it will do! I am on this thing all the time trying to learn all I can. I am doing good, considering three months ago, I did not know how to turn this computer on, let alone do the stuff I have been doing. I have even taken an online college class that really tested my limits but I did real good actually. Not to mention my typing, which I could not do at all. I could not even find the keys. Now I am typing without even looking. I tell you, at 55 years old I sometimes still amaze myself. Now if I could find a job doing something with this computer, I would really be in heaven. Well, I guess I will go for now guys. If anyone hears about any online work or computer classes that I can take, let me know please. Thanks God Bless You all.
 David :-)