Prism Portable

Baris Derin

Jun 5, 2009, 4:07:37 AM6/5/09
to mozilla-labs-prism
Hello. Is there any portable version for Prism? If not how can we
create a portable version?

McRock

Jun 5, 2009, 7:35:01 AM6/5/09
to mozilla-labs-prism
On 5 Jun., 10:07, Baris Derin <shwanmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello. Is there any portable version for Prism? If not how can we
> create a portable version?

I'd have this one too. But, does prism write any (personal/private)
data to registry?

The Prism download is a zip-file, so we need just a view tweaks, i
think?

1. Prism core data should not be stored in userprofiles

2. App Data could be copied from userprofiles to portable storage. The
Shortcut can be modified to use the AppData from the new location.

First one might be the problem, or is there already any parameter to
fix that?

Matthew Gertner

Jun 10, 2009, 4:12:21 AM6/10/09
to mozilla-l...@googlegroups.com
I imagine this should work if you use the -webapp and -profile command
line parameters to point to directories on the portable storage.

Baris Derin

Jun 10, 2009, 5:21:10 AM6/10/09
to mozilla-labs-prism
Any example Matthew can you provide?

On Jun 10, 11:12 am, Matthew Gertner <matthew.gert...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I imagine this should work if you use the -webapp and -profile command
> line parameters to point to directories on the portable storage.

netjunki

Jun 10, 2009, 10:49:53 AM6/10/09
to mozilla-labs-prism
I'm doing something similar to this for a NSIS installer that allows
me to deploy my webapp to the local machine.

So when my installer is creating the shortcut to prism it writes the
following for the executable link in the shortcut:
"$INSTDIR\prism\prism.exe" "-profile $\"$INSTDIR\Prism.profile$\" -
override $\"$INSTDIR\WebApps\alts-we...@prism.app\override.ini$\"
-webapp $\"$INSTDIR\WebApps\alts-we...@prism.app$\"

Lets say that the installation directory is C:\MyApp... this then
becomes:
"C:\MyApp\prism\prism.exe" -profile "C:\MyApp\Prism.profile" -
override"C:\MyApp\WebApps\my...@prism.app\override.ini" -webapp "C:
\MyApp\WebApps\my...@prism.app"

Note that I've included a Prism profile directory along with my
application and am explicitly referencing it in the command line.

I haven't looked into Portable apps much... but I'd guess that you
want the links to the portable app to be relative to the short cut
location so they don't have to specify drive letters otherwise the app
wouldn't work if it got a different drive letter than expected. So
you'd need to layout the portable drive like so:
\ (Root of device)
Shortcut to MyApp
Shortcut to Firefox
\Portable MyApp
\Portable MyApp\prism
\Portable MyApp\Prism.profile
\Portable MyApp\WebApps/my...@prism.app
\Portable Firefox

And the shortcut executable path would look like:
"Portable MyApp\prism\prism.exe" -profile "Portable MyApp
\Prism.profile" -override"Portable MyApp\WebApps\my...@prism.app
\override.ini" -webapp "Portable MyApp\WebApps\my...@prism.app"

Hope that helps,

Ben