Jetpack SDK 0.1 release candidate #2 is out!

1 view
Message has been deleted

ava...@mozilla.com

Mar 3, 2010, 4:48:22 PM3/3/10
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

Based on the feedback we've received from the first release candidate, we've just released the second RC of the Jetpack SDK 0.1. You can get it as a tarball or a zip file.

Recent Changes

Since RC1, we've mostly made usability and developer-ergonomic improvements, some of which actually allowed us to shorten the tutorial. In particular:

  • It's no longer required that you have a main entry in your package.json if you want your package to be runnable as an application or extension; you can now just provide a file called main.js in your package's lib directory. (bug 545271)

  • Uncompressing the SDK now creates a directory called jetpack-sdk instead of jep-28. (bug 549023)

About The SDK

Right now, this SDK is for people who know how to use a command-line shell, as the development tools are only usable from there. We're also working on a web-based development environment called FlightDeck that will make it even easier to collaborate and build real Firefox extensions, in the spirit of the original Jetpack Prototype's user interface--but that's not ready quite yet.

Installation

You'll need Python 2.5 or later on your system to use the SDK.

Once you've got that, just unpack the zip file (or tarball) and check out the README.txt file to get started.

Feedback

We'd love to know of any feedback you have for this release. Feel free to post them to this Google Group, or file a bug on Bugzilla. The tracking bug for 0.1 launch is bug 549017.

Thanks!

-Atul, on behalf of Team Jetpack

Marcio Galli

Mar 3, 2010, 6:32:08 PM3/3/10
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
Nice! I am trying to get an article for pt-BR friends going. with some basic samples being:

a) how to amke a program that waits Firefox start using the require("observer-service");
b) how to make a program that creates a new sandboxed condition for scripts;

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AXyoiNrjRfN5YWg5OTM5a2RmdmtkXzEwNHR2NnN2OGZm&hl=en

Thanks Atul and other engineers working in this infra. This is great stuff.

/\/\

blog.taboca.com