Q3 project goals

Myk Melez

Jun 27, 2010, 4:58:14 AM6/27/10
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
Rocketeers!

I've been thinking about goals we should set ourselves for the third quarter of this calendar year (i.e. 2010 Q3)...

If we decide to set ourselves the goal of releasing a 1.0 SDK release by the end of the year (as proposed in my previous post), then a primary goal for Q3 must be to release a feature-complete beta of the SDK, since not being feature-complete by Q3 would make it hard to get to a final release in Q4, given the time it takes to bring a product to a stable, production release (and the limitations imposed by the holiday season).

Another important goal, which is also something of a prerequisite for an SDK 1.0 release (in that it impacts our ability to get there), would be to complete the "incubation" transition of the Jetpack project from a Mozilla Labs experiment to a production-level effort, including the necessary changes to our development process (cycles, reviews, continuous integration, testing, etc.), communications (names, domains, wiki, websites, etc.), and supporting services (IT, evangelism/engagement, etc.).

And finally, it is becoming increasingly clear that FlightDeck will be a key component in the success of the project, just as important as the SDK, and we should treat it as such, devoting the same kind of time and energy to planning and driving its development, designing its interface and capabilities, and developing its functionality.

So to summarize, I think our top project goals for the quarter should be:
  1. release a feature-complete beta of SDK 1.0;
  2. complete the transition to a production-level effort;
  3. staff and plan FlightDeck's design and development.
Thoughts?

-myk