planning the next few SDK development cycles

Myk Melez

Sep 28, 2010, 7:31:15 PM9/28/10
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
Rocketeers!

I'm in the process of planning the next few development cycles, including the 0.9 cycle, which we're currently in.

Specifically, I put together draft plans for the next four cycles, which I expect will take us all the way through to a feature-complete beta release of SDK 1.0. These plans are based on our goal of shipping SDK 1.0 with the features we have previously identified.

Take a look at these draft plans, and let me know if there is something important missing from them, something unimportant that should be removed from them, or any other issue:

A few notes:
  • The cycles are all standard four week cycles like the previous ones, except for 0.12, which is a week longer because it spans the last half of December, during which time folks typically take time off.

  • The Firefox team is still committed to helping the Jetpack team complete the SDK, in particular by implementing critical APIs, but that is not yet reflected in these plans, which I put together before it was clear that they'd have time to work on the SDK on top of all their Firefox 4 blocker work over the next quarter (although it's still not entirely clear how much time they'll have).

  • The version numbers are partly placeholders, as once we reach beta, we'll renumber that release to 1.0b1 and then increment from there.

  • The plans propose freezing at 11am PT (18:00 UTC until November 7, after which 19:00 UTC) on Wednesdays instead of 11:59pm PT on Tuesdays, because that feels like a better overall time to freeze (during the work day in the US, not too late in the EU).

-myk

Dietrich Ayala

Sep 29, 2010, 1:11:16 PM9/29/10
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
The freeze time change sounds like a great idea.