[jetpack] Jetpack SDK 0.4 release candidate 1 now available!

Myk Melez

May 21, 2010, 3:20:58 AM5/21/10
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We've just released the first release candidate of Jetpack SDK 0.4! Download it as a tarball or ZIP archive via the following links:

  https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/labs/jetpack/jetpack-sdk-0.4rc1.tar.gz
  https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/labs/jetpack/jetpack-sdk-0.4rc1.zip

Notable enhancements in this version:
  • Page Worker API - The page-worker module provides a way to create a permanent, invisible page and access its DOM.
  • Widget API - The widget module provides a visually consistent way for add-ons to show themselves in the browser.
  • Simple Storage API - The simple-storage module provides a way to easily, privately, and persistently store data across application restarts.
  • Private Browsing API - The private-browsing module provides access to the private browsing service - detecting if it is active and adding callbacks for transitioning into and out of private browsing mode.
  • Unforgeable ID - Add-ons created with "cfx xpi" now get a persistent cryptographic identifier, which will eventually be used to sign the XPI bundle and control access to persistent state. You will need to delete any "id" key from your package.json file before building XPIs with this release. See the Jetpack ID wiki page for details.
  • Restartless Add-ons - Add-ons created with "cfx xpi" can be installed into nightly builds of the next version of Firefox without requiring users to restart the application.

Unless we discover any late-breaking issues that must be fixed before we release, these are the builds we will release as Jetpack SDK 0.4. The release is tentatively scheduled for next Wednesday, May 26.

Thus now is the perfect time to test these builds and let us know about any issues you encounter! Feel free to post feedback to this discussion forum or file a bug in Bugzilla. And to keep a closer eye on the status of the release, check out the release tracking bug 566901.

- Myk, on behalf of Team Jetpack