Meeting Proposal

Algot Runeman

Nov 18, 2009, 9:16:25 AM11/18/09
to moss...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday, after I took an easy drive up Route 27 to Maynard, Jon Green
and I sat in the comfortable seats at a conference table in the library
of Fowler Middle School and discussed the SIG, meeting hopes, Open
Source in schools. I felt very welcome. I'll let Jon describe his
background in detail as he sees fit. Briefly, Jon is the Computer
Coordinator for the Maynard Schools (5 years) and came to the district
from a tech industry background.

Jon and I hope we can come to a comfortable consensus with you on the
list to schedule a SIG meeting soon. The goal of the meeting is to get
familiar with each other. Giving a "face" to the members of the group
and to establish a roadmap of the goals the group should seek to
accomplish. If you have suggestions for things to consider, include them
in your reply even if you cannot attend the meeting.

We can even figure out remote access options for those who can spare the
time, but cannot make the trip.

Working from Jon's schedule (hosting gets perks) we'd like you to react
to the following three dates for a meeting at 9:00AM.

Friday December 11
Monday December 14
Friday December 18

Please list them in order of preference in a reply post. If you cannot
make any of the days, list only the ones you can.

For example: 14, 11, 18 Which would say "I can make any of the dates,
but for me, the order of preference is the 14th followed by the 11th and
18th." Another person might reply, 11, 18 showing only two dates saying,
"I can make either of the two Fridays, but not Monday the 11th."

Directions are available on the Maynard schools Web page:
http://www.maynardschools.org/directions.html and, you can create maps
and directions through sites like Google Maps and Mapquest.

Please pass the invitation along to your tech coordinator and others in
your district that might be interested whether or not you can attend.
MassCUE SIG meetings are open to all who have an interest. Membership in
MassCUE is not a requirement to attend.

Jon and I look forward to hearing from all of you.
--Algot

--
-------------------------
Algot Runeman

Jon Green

Nov 18, 2009, 4:02:12 PM11/18/09
to moss...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

To follow up on Algot's email, my goal is to be a part of a network of Open
Source users. A network where members actively support each other in
researching, problem solving, technical support, moral support, training,
etc. so that we are all able to be more successful in helping our
educational technology programs realize the benefits of Open Source
software.

I expect that the type of support we need will vary with our roles and
districts, so a diverse membership is very much to our benefit. Open Source
encompasses desktop applications, desktop operating systems, server
operating systems, server and network management tools, virtualization, web
applications, and more, so few of us will be fluent in all aspects of this
very large space. Therefore the more members we have and the more diverse
their backgrounds, the stronger we'll be.

Different Open Source segments face different barriers to adoption;
(mis)perceptions of quality and security, no single "throat to choke" when
things aren't working as expected, lack of local support capacity, lack of
management tools, lack of imagination, etc. I'd love to find ways that this
group can help to remove barriers and provide an alternative paradigm based
on cooperation, local expertise, and collaboration.

I see the opportunities for Open Source software increasing in the future,
especially as state, municipal, and school budgets continue to get squeezed.
By supporting each other and building our individual and collective
capacities to take advantage of Open Source software, we better prepare
ourselves to successfully address future challenges.

Phew, that was more than I was planning to say. Fortunately(?) I'm much more
verbose in email than in person so if you can make the meeting (and I really
hope you can) you're in no danger. ;-)

Thanks and I hope to see you in December.

-Jon

Dave L

Nov 20, 2009, 6:16:29 PM11/20/09
to MOSSSIG2
Best date would be...
Mond., Dec 14

Fridays are not usually good for me

Where is Maynard, MA anyways?

DaveL

Algot Runeman

Nov 22, 2009, 3:10:01 PM11/22/09
to moss...@googlegroups.com
Dave,

Maynard is just west of Lincoln, and also just southeast from the
junction of Interstate 495 and Route 2.
--Algot