Presentation ideas.

Martin Blais

May 12, 2008, 12:50:41 PM5/12/08
to montrea...@googlegroups.com
When is the next Montreal Python?

I'll be in town this next month or two. I would be
interested in doing a presentation on either one of the
following topics (or both):

- Beancount: how I built a double-entry accounting system to
reconcile all my accounting using only Python and text
files (and the syntax and many ideas of J. Wigley's
Ledger program).

This is code I wrote in the last month and is still very
fresh, it would be easy to do a talk because it's still
all in local memory. You can find the source code here:

https://hg.furius.ca/public/beancount

- Snakefood: a tool for displaying dependencies between
Python modules, and cleaning up imports.

http://furius.ca/snakefood/

Snakefood is an open source project which provides
programs to generate and filter lists of dependency
relationships between Python modules and packages and
convert the lists into viewable graphs. It aims to
provide a conservative, slightly imperfect but "good
enough" solution but that runs reliably on any codes
(i.e. it *always* runs and finished, no matter what
evils the analyzed code may be doing).

My intention is to start with presenting a short
introduction to module dependencies in the context of
Python in order to motivate the design of the data
format and the necessity to create the various tools
in the Snakefood foodchain. I will present examples of
running the dependency grapher on real codebases, and
realistic use cases of clustering used to visualize
more clearly the relationships between portions of
large projects, as well as some original uses for the
output files. I will also show how to parse the
dependency format in only a few lines of code.

Some of the details of the programs will be
explicited, such as the algorithms used to implement
an automatic, zero-configuration solution that always
works (Snakefood automatically figures out all the
relevant paths). Anyone interested in the import
mechanism in Python should be interested in this
portion.

The unused imports checker will also be introduced,
and I will show how it can be used automatically with
the dependency grapher. I hope to present some
statistics about some of the popular Python codebases
in relation to this.

During the talk, I will also mention some of the
difficulties with generating dependencies that drove
the decision to use the AST parser in order to provide
a reliable analyzer, and some cases where the
heuristics fail.

If you're interested, let me know soon, as I would have to
do some preparation work ahead of time.

Cheers,

Yannick Gingras

May 12, 2008, 11:12:17 PM5/12/08
Martin Blais <bl...@furius.ca> writes:

> When is the next Montreal Python?

As soon as possible?

: )

Seriously, we had two months between the first and the second meeting,
we could probably do a meeting every month a half. We want to have
regular meetings without depleting our speaker pool too fast and
without putting too much pressure on the organizers.

> I'll be in town this next month or two. I would be
> interested in doing a presentation on either one of the
> following topics (or both):
>

> - Beancount: [...]
> - Snakefood: [...]

I'd be really interesting by a presentation on Snakefood. How long do
you thing you could talk? Hugo Boyer showed some interest in doing a
presentation too. I'm not sure if we should pack two presentations
again. Last time me and Cyril went beyond our time so the meeting
ended kind of late. Maybe we could start a bit earlier with a small
warmup presentation (15 to 20 mins), take a small break for the snack
and refreshments the go on with a more substantial presentation. That
way people can arrive early to socialize or a bit later after work for
the core presentation.

How long would your presentation be?

> If you're interested, let me know soon, as I would have to
> do some preparation work ahead of time.

We definitely are interested. Can you get in touch with Hugo and see
who gets the core slot for next meeting? As soon as we have a core
speaker confirmed, we can pick a date and look for warmup
presentations.

--
Yannick Gingras

Joseph Turian

May 12, 2008, 11:56:25 PM5/12/08
to montrea...@googlegroups.com
> Maybe we could start a bit earlier with a small
> warmup presentation (15 to 20 mins), take a small break for the snack
> and refreshments the go on with a more substantial presentation. That
> way people can arrive early to socialize or a bit later after work for
> the core presentation.

This sort of structure sounds really good.

Joseph