Banshee Port Status Report #3

Scott Peterson

Jun 24, 2007, 1:40:52 PM6/24/07
to mono-soc-2007
Milestone this week: Banshee runs on Windows. See the screenshot:
http://bp3.blogger.com/_vUUhoww_aGI/RnnZTn6WDSI/AAAAAAAAAOc/G6lyyAmfS5Q/s1600-h/itsalive.jpg

VM
It only runs on the Mono VM. When I try to run on the .NET VM, the
splash screen loads and updates fine, but when it comes time for the
main window to instantiate, I get this error:

>An unhandled exception of type 'System.AccessViolationException' occurred in glib-sharp.dll

>Additional information: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

This isn't a big concern right now, but my goal is to run on the .NET
VM so if anyone has any ideas, please share them.

GSTREAMER
You may be disappointed to learn, as I was, that you can't (yet)
actually listen to music. When you play any music of any format (I'm
testing with ogg vorbis files), the playback fails and this is spat
into the console:

>** (Banshee:3664): CRITICAL **: file E:\devel-cvs\src\gstreamer\gst\gstminiobject.c: line 295: assertion `mini_object != NULL' failed
>GStreamer resource error: OpenRead

Usually a number of assertion failure messages occur and then one
OpenRead error (the assertion failure output comes from gstreamer code
and the GStreamer resource error output comes from Banshee). I've run
a test gstreamer player for windows (gstplayer from
http://perso.orange.es/moutte983/gstreamer/) and it opens these files
without issue, so in theory it ought to work. If you have insight into
this error, please let me know!

The past three days have been an attempt to resolve the above
gstreamer error. Here's what happened:
* I decided to build gstreamer myself so I could debug the problem.
* Once I got gstreamer build, I attempted to run it and got a new
error during initialization.
* I consulted the gstreamer folks on IRC and was advised that the
initialization failure was a symptom of gstreamer and glib being build
under different circumstances.
* I got and built glib as well.
* Once I managed to properly build the glib code, I attempted to run
and encountered a System.AccessViolationException error in gtk-
sharp.dll. Removing my compiled version of libglib-2.0-0.dll from the
executing directory resolved the problem. I've abandoned building glib
for now but if you have advice on this, please share.
* I went into gstreamer and commented out the code that was failing in
the initialization (it wasn't critical). Everything loaded up fine,
but when I tried to play a song the error in the console was
different:

>GStreamer resource error: OpenRead

There was no mention of a `mini_object != NULL' assertion failure.
This tends to suggest that a different error is happening, perhaps one
related to the disparity in the build environments of gstreamer and
glib. I am able to debug this error in gstreamer, but I only got this
working last night and I don't yet understand why things are going
wrong.

Next week is going to be all about gstreamer. Come hell or high water,
that thing is going to work. If you've got experience with gstreamer
and wouldn't mind lending me some help, please get in touch. The
gstreamer people are great but they aren't always around on IRC.
That's all for now!

Miguel de Icaza

Jun 24, 2007, 2:45:53 PM6/24/07
to mono-s...@googlegroups.com
Is there a possibility not touse GStreamer on Windows, and instead use whatever native APIs there are in there for now, while this gets sorted out?

sharp.dll . Removing my compiled version of libglib-2.0-0.dll from the

Scott Peterson

Jun 24, 2007, 4:43:29 PM6/24/07
to mono-soc-2007
Yes, that is a possibility. Aaron and I discussed this and thought it
would be ideal to use gstreamer, but certainly if its untenable, I'll
go with another solution.

On Jun 24, 2:45 pm, "Miguel de Icaza" <miguel.de.ic...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is there a possibility not touse GStreamer on Windows, and instead use
> whatever native APIs there are in there for now, while this gets sorted out?
>

> On 6/24/07, Scott Peterson <lunchtimem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Milestone this week: Banshee runs on Windows. See the screenshot:
>

> >http://bp3.blogger.com/_vUUhoww_aGI/RnnZTn6WDSI/AAAAAAAAAOc/G6lyyAmfS...

> > sharp.dll. Removing my compiled version of libglib-2.0-0.dll from the

Zauberertz

Jun 24, 2007, 8:55:38 PM6/24/07
to mono-soc-2007
Where can i get the Source, so i can give you some support.

On Jun 24, 7:40 pm, Scott Peterson <lunchtimem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Milestone this week: Banshee runs on Windows. See the screenshot:http://bp3.blogger.com/_vUUhoww_aGI/RnnZTn6WDSI/AAAAAAAAAOc/G6lyyAmfS...

> VM
> It only runs on the Mono VM. When I try to run on the .NET VM, the
> splash screen loads and updates fine, but when it comes time for the
> main window to instantiate, I get this error:
>
> >An unhandled exception of type 'System.AccessViolationException' occurred in glib-sharp.dll
> >Additional information: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
>
> This isn't a big concern right now, but my goal is to run on the .NET
> VM so if anyone has any ideas, please share them.
>
> GSTREAMER
> You may be disappointed to learn, as I was, that you can't (yet)
> actually listen to music. When you play any music of any format (I'm
> testing with ogg vorbis files), the playback fails and this is spat
> into the console:
>
> >** (Banshee:3664): CRITICAL **: file E:\devel-cvs\src\gstreamer\gst\gstminiobject.c: line 295: assertion `mini_object != NULL' failed
> >GStreamer resource error: OpenRead
>
> Usually a number of assertion failure messages occur and then one
> OpenRead error (the assertion failure output comes from gstreamer code
> and the GStreamer resource error output comes from Banshee). I've run

> a test gstreamer player for windows (gstplayer fromhttp://perso.orange.es/moutte983/gstreamer/) and it opens these files

Scott Peterson

Jun 25, 2007, 12:19:41 AM6/25/07
to mono-soc-2007
Unfortunately the Gnome people /still/ haven't gotten back to me about
an SVN account. I'll see about getting it up on the Google SVN repo.

Scott Peterson

Jun 25, 2007, 3:24:40 AM6/25/07
to mono-soc-2007
I was about to go to bed but I realized that I don't have class until
4pm tomorrow so I implemented a DirectShow player backend. It was
actually incredibly easy. There are still bugs to iron out, but it
works!

wrote:

> Is there a possibility not touse GStreamer on Windows, and instead use
> whatever native APIs there are in there for now, while this gets sorted out?
>

> On 6/24/07, Scott Peterson <lunchtimem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Milestone this week: Banshee runs on Windows. See the screenshot:
>

> >http://bp3.blogger.com/_vUUhoww_aGI/RnnZTn6WDSI/AAAAAAAAAOc/G6lyyAmfS...

> > sharp.dll. Removing my compiled version of libglib-2.0-0.dll from the

Miguel de Icaza

Jun 25, 2007, 2:20:42 PM6/25/07
to mono-s...@googlegroups.com
Wooohooooo! Congratyulations Scott! Greta job!