vbnc Report #8

Rolf Bjarne Kvinge

Aug 6, 2006, 8:28:45 AM8/6/06
to mono-s...@googlegroups.com
Last week and this week:
- Bugfixing. The compiler is finally able to finish compiling itself.
With PEVerify I get 639 errors (18 unique).

Next week:
- Fix the PEVerify errors.

Problems:
- I had a bug it took me four days to work around, as always problems
with the MS runtime, it failed with a TypeLoadException for several
types complaining that the generic parameter constraints were not
fulfilled. It took me four days to make a small reproduceable
testcase, in the end I had to copy all the code to another folder and
start commenting out to find out when it started working. In the end
it seems that the simple presence of a class with a method with type
parameter with constraints can make a totally unrelated generic class
fail. And it all have to be compiled in a specific order, and it has
to be done with the debugger attached, because otherwise the it all
works perfectly...

Solution: remove all constraints from the code.

Miguel de Icaza

Aug 6, 2006, 1:17:37 PM8/6/06
to mono-soc-2006
Hello Rolf,

> Last week and this week:
> - Bugfixing. The compiler is finally able to finish compiling itself.
> With PEVerify I get 639 errors (18 unique).

This is *fantastic*

I have a question, is the resulting compiler able to compile itself?

Am wondering, is the compiler self-hosting now?

Miguel

Rolf Bjarne Kvinge

Aug 6, 2006, 6:07:52 PM8/6/06
to mono-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello Miguel,

The compiler is not self-hosting yet, it is only able to produce an
executable of its own source, but it does not do so correctly
(therefore the PEVerify errors).

Hopefully there are not very many bugs left and I think I will be able
to fix them in a couple of weeks.

Rolf