Projects using Mono.Addins

Lluis Sanchez

Jul 1, 2010, 2:04:52 PM7/1/10
to mono-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I added a page to the Mono.Addins site with a list of projects using
Mono.Addins.

http://monoaddins.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Projects%20using%20Mono.Addins

If you are using Mono.Addins in a project or application, please let me
know (by mail or by adding a comment to that page) and I'll update the
list. Thanks!

Lluis.

matteo tesser

Jul 7, 2010, 11:44:03 AM7/7/10
to mono-...@googlegroups.com
Hi LLuis,
The number of occourrences of the namespace Mono.Addins is constantly
increasing in our project, can we be listed ?

http://www.fairmat.com/plugins

Thanks,
Matteo

Lluis Sanchez

Jul 21, 2010, 8:07:26 AM7/21/10
to mono-...@googlegroups.com
Added. Thanks!

El dc 07 de 07 de 2010 a les 17:44 +0200, en/na matteo tesser va
escriure:

Michael Shimmins

Mar 8, 2011, 7:59:10 PM3/8/11
to mono-...@googlegroups.com
Hi LLuis,

We've recently replaced MEF with Mono.Addins, although the product isn't publicly available yet, you can list us as a user if you'd like:

Michael

Nils Andresen

Mar 9, 2011, 2:55:58 AM3/9/11
to mono-...@googlegroups.com, Michael Shimmins
Hi Michael,
the company I work for has not decided which (if) addin-framework to use for the new project.
But currently it "feels" like we're aiming at MEF (for the one reason - "well it's a MS product...")
Can you give a short summary on why you replaced MEF with Mono.Addins?
Maybe I can persuade some folks with that ;-)

Nils

2011/3/9 Michael Shimmins <michael....@gmail.com>

Lluis Sanchez

Mar 9, 2011, 6:44:09 AM3/9/11
to mono-...@googlegroups.com
El dt 08 de 03 de 2011 a les 16:59 -0800, en/na Michael Shimmins va
escriure:

Added. Thanks!

> Michael
>
> --

> +unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Michael Shimmins

Mar 9, 2011, 6:08:37 PM3/9/11
to mono-...@googlegroups.com, Michael Shimmins
Basically it came down to maturity.  Mono.Addins seems far more stable and mature than MEF.  The MEF documentation was lacking, inconsistent and out of date in a lot of places.  But all that could be worked around, and for the first few internal versions of our app, MEF was servicing us just fine.

Then our addins became a bit more complex.  We needed to package them up with multiple files, ideally distribute them as an archive, host them online in a plugin exchange, allow them to be discovered and installed easily.  Essentially this page covers features in Mono.Addins that made us switch rather than implementing a lot of the same things using MEF ourselves:

At the time as well MEF had issues on Mono on linux.  This might have been a problem with how we were using it, but it just turned out easier to plonk Mono.Addins in instead.  Was an easy migration and has a lot more power and features straight out of the box (and it worked on Linux).

Your millage may vary, and your needs are probably different.  MEF might be an awesome tool for your requirements.  It is a little simpler to get up and running and requires less engineering to support it (which was one of the reasons we used it first off).

Hope that helps,

Michael