mongodb backup file system

Wojons Tech

Dec 18, 2012, 8:29:13 AM12/18/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
I wanted to know if backing up the files in the mongodb data folder is a valid backup solution for a sharded cluster. We have a lot of traffic that time delayed nodes fall out of sync during peak times, we dont want to use AWS snapshots because we are planning on leaving AWS. If we backup the filesystem that would make it pretty easy we would turn off mongodb on 1 slave of each shard and one mongoc node and just bz2 the file system and rysnc it to a file backup server. We would run the job once a day or more. at the moment we have 13 shards with about 20-30gb of data each,

Wojons Tech

Dec 19, 2012, 1:38:10 PM12/19/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
bump

Stephen Steneker

Jan 1, 2013, 12:38:50 AM1/1/13
to mongod...@googlegroups.com

I wanted to know if backing up the files in the mongodb data folder is a valid backup solution for a sharded cluster. We have a lot of traffic that time delayed nodes fall out of sync during peak times, we dont want to use AWS snapshots because we are planning on leaving AWS. If we backup the filesystem that would make it pretty easy we would turn off mongodb on 1 slave of each shard and one mongoc node and just bz2 the file system and rysnc it to a file backup server. We would run the job once a day or more. at the moment we have 13 shards with about 20-30gb of data each,

Hi,

If you are stopping mongod before taking a backup of the data directory, this will provide a consistent snapshot if you copy or rsync the files.

Note that "snapshot" capabilities do not only refer to AWS.  For example, if you are using Linux, LVM also has possibility to do snapshots.

Common backup strategies are covered in the manual: http://docs.mongodb.org/manual/administration/backups/.

Cheers,
Stephen