Scale Out Strategy Newbie Question

oliverw

Sep 4, 2010, 3:54:47 PM9/4/10
to mongodb-user
Hi

I'm currently working on a little pet project of mine. Since I am
already running a couple dedicated servers my plan is to deploy a
couple MongoDb instances as Replica Set for failover and data
redundancy on the dedicated machines. Should the project take off I
would like to migrate the whole Replica Set over to Amazon EC2 without
a massive downtime. Could I just add new instance(s) located on EC2 to
the set and when those new instances are in sync, make the switch?
Would that work?

Cheers,
Oliver

Kristina Chodorow

Sep 4, 2010, 4:22:20 PM9/4/10
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that should work fine.  You could bring up the new instances on EC2 and add them to the set.  Once they were synced, set the priorities of the dedicated servers to 0 (so they won't become master), make sure one of the EC2 servers becomes master, and then take the old servers offline.

oliverw

Sep 5, 2010, 3:11:50 AM9/5/10
to mongodb-user
Cool, thanks Kristina.