1.9.1, Windows: TabExpansion is great but it also introduces a regression

Roman Kuzmin

Jul 27, 2011, 12:47:12 PM7/27/11
to mongodb-user
Although the TabExpansion feature is great and invaluable it also
introduces a regression. Most of (or all?) other standard Windows
console key shortcuts are consumed and not processed by the console
itself. A couple of them, just for example: Esc (clear the command
line), F7 (show the history menu), etc.

N.B. It is definitely possible to have both TabExpansion and standard
console features together, PowerShell console is an example (CMD is
probably too, I just do not use it much).

Kyle VanderBeek

Jul 27, 2011, 7:28:34 PM7/27/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Also, in a Unix terminal, I've been repeatedly caught by the fact that much of the Mongo console output includes tabs for display purposes.  When attempting to copy-paste a portion of that output (say, when I want to paste and slightly modify an index previously shown by getIndexes()), the paste operation includes many tabs, resulting in a terrifying, beep-filled indeterminate result.

I hate tabs.

Kyle.
Change.org

mathias

Jul 31, 2011, 6:40:28 PM7/31/11
to mongodb-user
@roman - This is due to using linenoise on the windows build which
emulates readline which is the standard for UNIX shells. ctrl-u clears
the current line, but I don't think there is a way to show a history
menu. I think there is a build-time flag to disable linenoise, and if
not we could probably add one.

@Kyle - See https://jira.mongodb.org/browse/SERVER-3508. I'll try to
do that this week.