mongo ruby gem versions 1.4.1 and 1.4.0 missing?

Tim Olsen

Oct 28, 2011, 2:47:24 PM10/28/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Anybody else notice that the mongo ruby gem versions 1.4.1 and 1.4.0 have gone missing from rubygems.org?  1.3.1 is now listed as the latest version.  Anybody know what happened?

Thanks,
Tim

Marten Veldthuis

Oct 28, 2011, 3:44:34 PM10/28/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
I just noticed too (because it broke my build on Travis-CI), and am curious as to what happened.

CapnRegex

Oct 28, 2011, 3:45:47 PM10/28/11
to mongodb-user
And more importantly, when there will be a solution..
Trying to deploy to Heroku, and my stack depends on +1.4.1

also, Thanks

Kyle Banker

Oct 28, 2011, 3:47:30 PM10/28/11
to mongodb-user
Hi Tim,

You can still download and install 1.4.0 and 1.4.1 manually from
Rubygems.org. However, I had to yank them due
to some critical bugs. I'm working feverishly on a 1.4.2 release and
will let everyone know as soon as it's ready. It's better
than you wait until this new version is available, as I don't want any
more users to have to deal with these issues.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may be causing.

Kyle

Kyle Banker

Oct 28, 2011, 3:51:08 PM10/28/11
to mongodb-user

leem

Oct 30, 2011, 7:00:40 AM10/30/11
to mongodb-user
Thanks for this Kyle.

Not that I'm ungrateful but is there any chance you know when they are
going to be added back to rubygems? The problem at the minute is that
although these links are useful for development none of my apps can be
deployed to Heroku because they need mongoid 2.0.2. It still
complains about bson-1.4.0 being missing.

Thanks!

On Oct 28, 7:51 pm, Kyle Banker <kyleban...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here are the relevant links for those who absolutely need these
> versions:
>
> https://rubygems.org/gems/mongo/versions/1.4.0https://rubygems.org/gems/bson/versions/1.4.0https://rubygems.org/gems/bson_ext/versions/1.4.0
>
> https://rubygems.org/gems/mongo/versions/1.4.1https://rubygems.org/gems/bson/versions/1.4.1https://rubygems.org/gems/bson_ext/versions/1.4.1

Tim Olsen

Oct 31, 2011, 9:46:17 AM10/31/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Mongoid 2.0.2 only depends on mongo 1.3.  You need to downgrade mongo, bson, and bson_ext.  Modify your Gemfile if you are using Rails.

Tim

Marten Veldthuis

Oct 31, 2011, 9:49:00 AM10/31/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
And actually, Mongoid seems to have pushed version 2.3.3 which downgrades the requirement on the mongo gem to 1.3 (and thus also the bson/bson_ext). You could also try upgrading to Mongoid 2.3.3.

- Marten

Steve

Oct 31, 2011, 2:05:08 PM10/31/11
to mongodb-user
I think pushing mongoid to 2.3.3 require min mongodb 2.0.0.
If you use mongohq then you are stuck upgrading to mongoid 2.3.3

On Oct 31, 8:49 pm, Marten Veldthuis <mar...@veldthuis.com> wrote:
> And actually, Mongoid seems to have pushed version 2.3.3 which downgrades
> the requirement on the mongo gem to 1.3 (and thus also the bson/bson_ext).
> You could also try upgrading to Mongoid 2.3.3.
>
> - Marten
>
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Tim Olsen <t...@jux.com> wrote:
> > Mongoid 2.0.2 only depends on mongo 1.3.  You need to downgrade mongo,
> > bson, and bson_ext.  Modify your Gemfile if you are using Rails.
>
> > Tim
>
> > On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 7:00 AM, leem <leemmccorm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Thanks for this Kyle.
>
> >> Not that I'm ungrateful but is there any chance you know when they are
> >> going to be added back to rubygems?  The problem at the minute is that
> >> although these links are useful for development none of my apps can be
> >> deployed to Heroku because they need mongoid 2.0.2.  It still
> >> complains about bson-1.4.0 being missing.
>
> >> Thanks!

> >>https://rubygems.org/gems/mongo/versions/1.4.0https://rubygems.org/ge...
>
> >>https://rubygems.org/gems/mongo/versions/1.4.1https://rubygems.org/ge...

Kyle Banker

Oct 31, 2011, 2:32:05 PM10/31/11
to mongodb-user
@Steve

Unless you're using features in MongoDB 2.0.0, you shouldn't have any
problems running
Mongoid 2.3.3.

Claudio Lassala

Oct 31, 2011, 3:20:27 PM10/31/11
to mongodb-user
Guys,

I'm new to Rails and Heroku, and I'm totally stuck here...

I have the following in my gemfile (among other things):

gem 'rails', '3.1'
gem "mongoid", "2.3.3"
gem "bson_ext", "~> 1.2"

when I deploy to Heroku, it's failing with this message:

Fetching source index for http://rubygems.org/
Could not find bson-1.4.0 in any of the sources

I haven't followed half of what's been mentioned in this thread, as
I'm not sure what I'm doing most of the time at this point. :)

Any feedback on how I can fix this issue is highly appreciated...

Claudio

Marten Veldthuis

Oct 31, 2011, 4:00:07 PM10/31/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Look in your Gemfile.lock, see if there's anything about bson at 1.4.

If you previously had bundled against mongoid 2.3.2 for example, the Gemfile.lock will have recorded that you want bson at 1.4. I'd recommend manually removing all lines related to mongoid/mongo/bson/bson_ext from your Gemfile.lock, and rerunning "bundle install" to get a fresh set of dependencies with regard to this. After that you should be able to deploy again.

- Marten

Tim Olsen

Oct 31, 2011, 4:14:26 PM10/31/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Remove your bson_ext line, and add the following:

gem 'mongo', '= 1.3.1'
gem 'bson', '= 1.3.1'
gem 'bson_ext', '= 1.3.1'

This will lock you in at 1.3.1

Tim

Claudio Lassala

Oct 31, 2011, 4:57:28 PM10/31/11
to mongodb-user
That worked. Thank you so much, Tim!!

Claudio

On Oct 31, 3:14 pm, Tim Olsen <t...@jux.com> wrote:
> Remove your bson_ext line, and add the following:
>
> gem 'mongo', '= 1.3.1'
> gem 'bson', '= 1.3.1'
> gem 'bson_ext', '= 1.3.1'
>
> This will lock you in at 1.3.1
>
> Tim
>
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Claudio Lassala
> <claudiolass...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Guys,
>
> > I'm new to Rails and Heroku, and I'm totally stuck here...
>
> > I have the following in my gemfile (among other things):
>
> > gem 'rails', '3.1'
> > gem "mongoid", "2.3.3"
> > gem "bson_ext", "~> 1.2"
>
> > when I deploy to Heroku, it's failing with this message:
>
> > Fetching source index forhttp://rubygems.org/

Claudio Lassala

Oct 31, 2011, 5:27:21 PM10/31/11
to mongodb-user
Thanks, Marten. I didn't know I could tweak with the Gemfile.lock file
like that. Tim's solution address my problem, but I'm writing a note
here about tweaking the lock file so I won't forget that's an
option. :)

On Oct 31, 3:00 pm, Marten Veldthuis <mar...@veldthuis.com> wrote:
> Look in your Gemfile.lock, see if there's anything about bson at 1.4.
>
> If you previously had bundled against mongoid 2.3.2 for example, the
> Gemfile.lock will have recorded that you want bson at 1.4. I'd recommend
> manually removing all lines related to mongoid/mongo/bson/bson_ext from
> your Gemfile.lock, and rerunning "bundle install" to get a fresh set of
> dependencies with regard to this. After that you should be able to deploy
> again.
>
> - Marten
>
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Claudio Lassala
> <claudiolass...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Guys,
>
> > I'm new to Rails and Heroku, and I'm totally stuck here...
>
> > I have the following in my gemfile (among other things):
>
> > gem 'rails', '3.1'
> > gem "mongoid", "2.3.3"
> > gem "bson_ext", "~> 1.2"
>
> > when I deploy to Heroku, it's failing with this message:
>
> > Fetching source index forhttp://rubygems.org/

Steve

Nov 2, 2011, 10:25:55 AM11/2/11
to mongodb-user
That's resolved it...

Thanks

On Nov 1, 3:14 am, Tim Olsen <t...@jux.com> wrote:
> Remove your bson_ext line, and add the following:
>
> gem 'mongo', '= 1.3.1'
> gem 'bson', '= 1.3.1'
> gem 'bson_ext', '= 1.3.1'
>
> This will lock you in at 1.3.1
>
> Tim
>
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Claudio Lassala
> <claudiolass...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Guys,
>
> > I'm new to Rails and Heroku, and I'm totally stuck here...
>
> > I have the following in my gemfile (among other things):
>
> > gem 'rails', '3.1'
> > gem "mongoid", "2.3.3"
> > gem "bson_ext", "~> 1.2"
>
> > when I deploy to Heroku, it's failing with this message:
>
> > Fetching source index forhttp://rubygems.org/

Steve

Nov 2, 2011, 10:52:49 AM11/2/11
to mongodb-user
did anyone got problem running in heroku for bson 1.3.1 ?
Its working locally. but not in heroku
=============
2011-11-02T14:48:55+00:00 heroku[web.1]: State changed from created to
starting
2011-11-02T14:48:56+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Starting process with command
`thin -p 29136 -e production -R /home/heroku_rack/heroku.ru start`
2011-11-02T14:48:57+00:00 app[web.1]: Able to load bson_ext version
1.1.1, but >= 1.3.1 is required.
------------
2011-11-02T14:48:58+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Process exited
2011-11-02T14:48:58+00:00 app[web.1]: >> Thin web server (v1.2.6
codename Crazy Delicious)
2011-11-02T14:48:58+00:00 app[web.1]: >> Maximum connections set to
1024
2011-11-02T14:48:58+00:00 app[web.1]: >> Listening on 0.0.0.0:29136,
CTRL+C to stop
2011-11-02T14:48:59+00:00 heroku[web.1]: State changed from starting
to up
2011-11-02T14:49:40+00:00 app[web.1]: ArgumentError - wrong number of
arguments(1 for 0):
2011-11-02T14:49:40+00:00 app[web.1]: /app/.bundle/gems/ruby/1.9.1/
gems/bson-1.3.1/lib/bson/types/object_id.rb:51:in `generate'
2011-11-02T14:49:40+00:00 app[web.1]: /app/.bundle/gems/ruby/1.9.1/
gems/sinatra-1.1.0/lib/sinatra/base.rb:620:in `route_eval'
2011-11-02T14:49:40+00:00 app[web.1]: /app/.bundle/gems/ruby/1.9.1/
gems/sinatra-1.1.0/lib/sinatra/base.rb:604:in `block (2 levels) in
route!'
2011-11-02T14:49:40+00:00 app[web.1]: /app/.bundle/gems/ruby/1.9.1/
gems/sinatra-1.1.0/lib/sinatra/base.rb:656:in `block in process_route'
2011-11-02T14:49:40+00:00 app[web.1]: /usr/ruby1.9.2/bin/thin:19:in
`<main>'
=========
GEM FILE

GEM
remote: http://rubygems.org/
specs:
activemodel (3.1.1)
activesupport (= 3.1.1)
builder (~> 3.0.0)
i18n (~> 0.6)
activesupport (3.1.1)
multi_json (~> 1.0)
bson (1.3.1)
bson_ext (1.1.1)
builder (3.0.0)
i18n (0.6.0)
json (1.6.1)
mongo (1.3.1)
bson (= 1.3.1)
mongoid (2.2.0)
activemodel (~> 3.0)
mongo (~> 1.3)
tzinfo (~> 0.3.22)
multi_json (1.0.3)
rack (1.2.1)
sinatra (1.1.0)
rack (~> 1.1)
tilt (~> 1.1)
tilt (1.1)
tzinfo (0.3.30)

PLATFORMS
ruby
x86-mingw32

DEPENDENCIES
activesupport
bson_ext (= 1.1.1)
json
mongoid (= 2.2.0)
sinatra

On Nov 1, 3:14 am, Tim Olsen <t...@jux.com> wrote:
> Remove your bson_ext line, and add the following:
>
> gem 'mongo', '= 1.3.1'
> gem 'bson', '= 1.3.1'
> gem 'bson_ext', '= 1.3.1'
>
> This will lock you in at 1.3.1
>
> Tim
>
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Claudio Lassala
> <claudiolass...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Guys,
>
> > I'm new to Rails and Heroku, and I'm totally stuck here...
>
> > I have the following in my gemfile (among other things):
>
> > gem 'rails', '3.1'
> > gem "mongoid", "2.3.3"
> > gem "bson_ext", "~> 1.2"
>
> > when I deploy to Heroku, it's failing with this message:
>
> > Fetching source index forhttp://rubygems.org/

justin...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2011, 12:57:21 PM11/2/11
to mongodb-user
Any progress on this issue? I tried the Mongoid 2.3.3 route, but I'm
currently locked between using BSON 1.3.1 (which causes /gems/
bson-1.3.1/lib/bson/bson_c.rb:24:in `serialize': failed to free buffer
(RuntimeError) when executing rails console on Mac) and BSON 1.4~
which no longer exists in the repo.

I've tried backing up all the way to Mongoid 1.9.5, which fails since
it requires activesupport (< 3.0.0).

Any ideas?

Thanks, Justin

Kyle Banker

Nov 2, 2011, 1:32:10 PM11/2/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
@Steve

You can bson_ext v1.1.1. You need that same version of bson_ext as bson, that is, 1.3.1.

Kyle Banker

Nov 2, 2011, 1:32:51 PM11/2/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
@Justin

Please make sure that you have exactly one version of bson_ext installed and that the version number be equal to the version number of bson. That is, you want bson_ext v1.3.1.

Ryan Angilly

Nov 2, 2011, 5:53:35 PM11/2/11
to mongodb-user
Since nobody is being that guy...

This gem was out for over a month. You don't yank a gem that's been
out for over a month. This is horrible management of not only source
code, but your community as well. Was there really no announcement of
this yank? Was the first announcement an hour after someone asked on
this thread?

Ouch guys. If you think this is no big deal, dont.

I was an early adopter of mongodb. I say to people "mongodb was a bit
immature when I started using it, but it rocks and they've totally got
it figured out now." After this, I won't say that to anyone for a
little while.

My apps were working just fine, and now they're all broken.

Yes, this is open source. Yes, it's free. Yes, you're all personally
awesome people (I've met a bunch of you). Yes, this is a first world
problem. It still sucks and shouldn't have happened :)

Now please un-yank the gems as soon as possible so our apps will start
working again. Then, let us know what the problem is, and let us make
the decision whether or not to downgrade.

Thanks a ton :)

Kyle Banker

Nov 2, 2011, 6:39:38 PM11/2/11
to mongodb-user
Hi Ryan,

I'm sorry about my lack of communication on this issue. This was my
mistake. The very first thing I should have
done was to send a message to the MongoDB dev list discussing the
problems with these releases.
I'll make sure we do this in the future.

Users are reporting unusually high numbers of connections, performance
problems, and
threading issues in 1.4.0 and 1.4.1. There's also a bug in sending
commands to the correct
node in 1.4.1.

The problems in 1.4.0 are less severe than in 1.4.1. Therefore, I've
unyanked 1.4.0.
However, I don't recommend using 1.4.0 in production if you're
connecting to a replica set.

If you absolutely need 1.4.1, you can use the links posted earlier in
this thread to install the gems
locally into your application.

Note that the previous Ruby driver release, 1.3.1, will work with the
latest versions of both
MongoMapper and Mongoid, in case you happen to be using these
libraries. Durran
Jordan was kind enough to change the dependencies of Mongoid to
address these issues.

Please know that the decision to yank these gems was taken with the
thought of saving users
from further pain. Clearly, it could have been done better, and we'll
make every effort to do so
in the future.

Thanks for your understanding on this, and apologies for the
inconveniences it's caused.

Kyle

Marius Seritan

Nov 2, 2011, 9:55:00 PM11/2/11
to mongodb-user
Kyle,

We are also seeing 20 seconds API calls, instead of 0.020 seconds. We
reverted to 1.3.1, however with 1.3.1 we need to restart all the apps
if the replica set configuration changes. Any idea when you will have
a new release?

Great job with the mongodb database, with the exception of this
particular issue. This killed us :-(

Marius

Steve

Nov 3, 2011, 6:53:43 AM11/3/11
to mongodb-user
Great. Forcing it to 1.3.1 resolved it.

Ryan Angilly

Nov 4, 2011, 6:30:26 PM11/4/11
to mongodb-user
Thank you very much for responding so quickly, Kyle. Good luck fixing
things.
> > Thisgemwas out for over a month. You don't yank agemthat's been
> > out for over a month. This is horrible management of not only source
> > code, but your community as well. Was there really no announcement of
> > this yank? Was the first announcement an hour after someone asked on
> > this thread?
>
> > Ouch guys. If you think this is no big deal, dont.
>
> > I was an early adopter of mongodb. I say to people "mongodb was a bit
> > immature when I started using it, but it rocks and they've totally got
> > it figured out now." After this, I won't say that to anyone for a
> > little while.
>
> > My apps were working just fine, and now they're all broken.
>
> > Yes, this is open source. Yes, it's free. Yes, you're all personally
> > awesome people (I've met a bunch of you). Yes, this is a first world
> > problem. It still sucks and shouldn't have happened :)
>
> > Now please un-yank the gems as soon as possible so our apps will start
> > working again. Then, let us know what the problem is, and let us make
> > the decision whether or not to downgrade.
>
> > Thanks a ton :)
>
> > On Nov 2, 11:32 am, Kyle Banker <k...@10gen.com> wrote:
>
> > > @Justin
>
> > > Please make sure that you have exactly one version of bson_ext installed
> > > and that the version number be equal to the version number ofbson. That

Niels Vandekeybus

Nov 8, 2011, 5:05:20 AM11/8/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if it is any use to you, but in our setup these problems only started occurring after moving back to 1.4.0 (from 1.4.1, which did not cause any problems for during a week of testing). We are using a replica set with 2 (regular) nodes and one arbiter.

Cheers

Niels

Kyle Banker

Nov 8, 2011, 3:10:48 PM11/8/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
You should use 1.3.1 until the 1.4.2 release is available.

Yes, some people had problems with 1.4.0 and others saw issues with 1.4.1. I don't recommend using either at this point.

Nathan D Acuff

Nov 10, 2011, 10:38:18 AM11/10/11
to mongodb-user
Any update on 1.4.2?

Kyle Banker

Nov 10, 2011, 11:04:49 AM11/10/11
to mongodb-user
Very close. A little more testing and some trivial bug fixes, and
we'll be good to go.

If you'd like to informally test from the latest commit on GitHub, you
should be good to go.

Kyle Banker

Nov 18, 2011, 5:29:50 PM11/18/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
We've released Ruby Driver v1.5.0.rc0. Please see the details here: