License problem , Do I need pay for a SAAS with mongodb ?

ghostdog

Nov 1, 2010, 3:59:26 AM11/1/10
to mongodb-user
hi. all
I noticed the MongoDB is AGPL , Does it mean I have to pay if i run a
public website based on mongodb ?
How about the commercial fee? I like to buy some commerial training
and support, but we're worring about the price.
Is there any possibility we can use a free license and only buy some
commercial support?
Or could you give me some detail about commercial license fee?

Markus Gattol

Nov 1, 2010, 5:14:56 AM11/1/10
to mongodb-user
> hi. all
> I noticed the MongoDB is AGPL , Does it mean I have to pay if i run a
> public website based on mongodb ?

No, AGPL (as opposed to the GPL) basically differes in a way so that
if you offer a service (e.g. SAAS) driven by a piece of software
licensed under AGPL, you're required to provide the source code if
requested. In a nutshell: you don't distribute software but you offer
services running off it.

> How about the commercial fee?  I like to buy some commerial training
> and support, but we're worring about the price.
> Is there any possibility we can use a free license and only buy some
> commercial support?
> Or could you give me some detail about commercial license fee?

I'd suggest that you directly contact 10gen as this is a public
mailing list.

supe...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2010, 5:36:20 AM11/1/10
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
I'm wondering if I don't modify any source code of mongodb . Do I still need to open source our project code.  I read som comment about this from other agpl project. They think user don't need open source theirself project. It's very confused

-- 发送自我的 Pre

Ken Egozi

Nov 1, 2010, 6:04:58 AM11/1/10
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
disclaimer: I am no lawyer and am not affiliated with 10gen, so take this with a grain of salt:

although the license for MongoDB *is* AGPL, it also contains a special chapter saying that the drivers are ASL
The meaning is that if you write an application the uses MongoDB through the drivers, and expose a different set of features than what the core DB provides, and do not allow direct access to the DB, then you are under the ASL terms.
e.g. - MongoHQ ( a SaaS the exposes MongoDB API directly) will need to be AGPL also and publicise the source code, while foursquare ( which is also essentially a SaaS provider, but it uses MongoDB internally and not exposing its core functionality publicly) does not have to publicise source code or whatever.

--
Ken Egozi.
http://www.kenegozi.com/blog

Meghan Gill

Nov 1, 2010, 8:28:35 AM11/1/10
to mongod...@googlegroups.com, Kerry Ancheta
Hi there,

You can contact Kerry Ancheta (ke...@10gen.com) off-list to discuss
fees for commercial licenses and other services. I'm copying him on
this message.

You may want to review this page in the docs on licensing:
http://www.mongodb.org/display/DOCS/Licensing

Hope this helps,
Meghan

Eliot Horowitz

Nov 1, 2010, 8:39:40 AM11/1/10
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
If you don't modify the database source and use one of the apache 2 drivers (all 10gen drivers are) then you don't have any requirements regarding the license.