more than 7 servers in a replica set

Johan Rydberg

Oct 11, 2010, 2:40:52 AM10/11/10
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
For a project of mine I would like to be able to have more than seven
machines in a replica set. Is that possible right now?  The docs says
that a cluster can contain 1-7 machines.  Can I crank up some define
and get more?

Cheers
Johan

Markus Gattol

Oct 11, 2010, 8:05:10 AM10/11/10
to mongod...@googlegroups.com

Johan> For a project of mine I would like to be able to have more than
Johan> seven machines in a replica set. Is that possible right now? The
Johan> docs says that a cluster can contain 1-7 machines.

It is true, but it is per replica set (a cluster might have several
shards, each being a replica set so ...)

http://www.markus-gattol.name/ws/mongodb.html#is_there_a_limit_on_the_number_of_physical_machines_for_a_replica_set

Can you tell a little bit more about your use case? 7 copies seems a
very high number (even GFS only has 3 copies by default and afaik 5 for
very important data).

Markus Gattol

Oct 11, 2010, 8:50:33 AM10/11/10
to mongodb-user
The discussion moved to IRC. Here's a transcript for those who want to
follow up
http://pastebin.com/Mg9ekNTD