_system_free not found

Jonathan Steel

Sep 12, 2011, 11:52:37 AM9/12/11
to mongodb-user
I started getting problems with lots of processes accessing mongo
locking up. I ran an experiment where I started up lots of them at the
same time in the background (on a hunch). After a few seconds, they
all reported they had stopped, but the prossess were still hanging
around (status T in ps on Mac). I then have to kill -9 to get rid of
the processes. I ran one in the foreground while the others were hung,
and got this error:

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _system_free
Referenced from: /Users/jonathan/.rvm/gems/ree-1.8.7-2011.03/gems/
bson_ext-1.3.0/ext/bson_ext/cbson.bundle
Expected in: flat namespace

Any ideas what this is before I have to start trudging through C code?

Thanks,
Jonathan Steel

Eliot Horowitz

Sep 12, 2011, 12:58:06 PM9/12/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a resource problem - either ram or file descriptors an issue?

Jonathan Steel

Sep 12, 2011, 2:44:06 PM9/12/11
to mongodb-user
Not likely. I can get the same problem to occur on a couple boxes. One
of those has hardly anything running on it, and has plenty of
resources. It is interesting to note though that the process I'm
running has had a history over the past few weeks of consuming
ridiculous amounts of memory, which I'm inclined to blame on some
interaction with mongo.

Kyle Banker

Sep 12, 2011, 2:56:50 PM9/12/11
to mongodb-user
Are you by any chance using the Kiji branch of REE? A Google search
shows reports of this same error:
https://github.com/twitter/rubyenterpriseedition187-248/issues/4
https://gist.github.com/1079161

Are you running OS X Lion?

On Sep 12, 2:44 pm, Jonathan Steel <jonathan.st...@gshiftlabs.com>

Jonathan Steel

Sep 13, 2011, 8:30:18 AM9/13/11
to mongodb-user
I am running Snow Leopard, with ruby 1.8.7 (2011-02-18 patchlevel 334)
[i686-darwin10.7.0], MBARI 0x6770, Ruby Enterprise Edition 2011.03.
The other machine I'm having similar issues with is a Linux machine,
but it doesn't print out any errors on that machine.

On Sep 12, 2:56 pm, Kyle Banker <kyleban...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you by any chance using the Kiji branch of REE? A Google search
> shows reports of this same error:https://github.com/twitter/rubyenterpriseedition187-248/issues/4https://gist.github.com/1079161
>
> Are you running OS X Lion?
>
> On Sep 12, 2:44 pm,JonathanSteel<jonathan.st...@gshiftlabs.com>

Kyle Banker

Sep 13, 2011, 12:06:45 PM9/13/11
to mongodb-user
Just created a ticket for tracking. If can provide any tips on
reproducing, please note them in the ticket:
https://jira.mongodb.org/browse/RUBY-329

On Sep 13, 8:30 am, Jonathan Steel <jonathan.st...@gshiftlabs.com>
wrote:
> I am running Snow Leopard, with ruby 1.8.7 (2011-02-18 patchlevel 334)
> [i686-darwin10.7.0], MBARI 0x6770, Ruby Enterprise Edition 2011.03.
> The other machine I'm having similar issues with is a Linux machine,
> but it doesn't print out any errors on that machine.
>
> On Sep 12, 2:56 pm, Kyle Banker <kyleban...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Are you by any chance using the Kiji branch of REE? A Google search
> > shows reports of this same error:https://github.com/twitter/rubyenterpriseedition187-248/issues/4https...

Jonathan Steel

Sep 13, 2011, 1:11:25 PM9/13/11
to mongodb-user
See ticket for resolution. This was an rvm issue.