can't take down secondary in replica set

Luke Ehresman

Nov 5, 2010, 8:46:30 AM11/5/10
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
I have two servers in a replica set.  rep2-1 and rep2-2.  I want to rebuild the secondary off of the primary (to compact the data files due to a high degree of fragmentation).  In the past, to do this I simply shut down the secondary, blow away the data directory, and start it back up and wait for it to sync  with the primary.

But when I tried to do that this morning, I'm getting a weird error.  I double checked, and rep2-1 is primary and rep2-2 is secondary.

(on rep2-1)
> db.isMaster()
{
"setName" : "set2",
"ismaster" : true,
"secondary" : false,
"hosts" : [
"rep2-1:27018",
"rep2-2:27018"
],
"ok" : 1
}

(on rep2-2)
> db.isMaster()
{
"setName" : "set2",
"ismaster" : false,
"secondary" : true,
"hosts" : [
"rep2-2:27018",
"rep2-1:27018"
],
"primary" : "rep2-1:27018",
"ok" : 1
}

When I shut down rep2-2, any operations I try to make through mongos are giving me this error:

> db.my_collection.count()
Fri Nov  5 12:38:38 uncaught exception: count failed: { "errmsg" : "not master", "ok" : 0 }
> db.my_collection.find()
error: { "$err" : "not master", "code" : 10107 }

I connected to rep2-1 and ran db.isMaster(), and now it says it's not master:

> use my_db
switched to db my_db
> db.isMaster()
{
"setName" : "set2",
"ismaster" : false,
"secondary" : false,
"hosts" : [
"cuegg-data-rep2-1:27018",
"rep2-2:27018"
],
"ok" : 1
}

When I bring rep2-2 back up, everything is fine again.

Any suggestions?

Luke
--
Luke Ehresman
lu...@ehresman.org

Markus Gattol

Nov 5, 2010, 8:56:27 AM11/5/10
to mongodb-user
Why are you using mongos if you only have a single rs with two nodes?
If you only have a simple replica set you don't need a mongos. Maybe
try not going trough a mongos but directly connect to the primary and
secondary using "mongo url:port/<database>"

Luke Ehresman

Nov 5, 2010, 9:14:27 AM11/5/10
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Our full setup is that we have two shards (shard1 and shard2) which are each a replica set (shard1=rep1-1,rep1-2; shard2=rep2-1,rep2-2)

It's the shard2 replica set that's giving me issues.

And by the way, I'm using 1.6.4 RC0

Luke

Markus Gattol

Nov 5, 2010, 9:47:55 AM11/5/10
to mongodb-user
Sounds like some weird voting issue on this shard. Do you have an
arbiter? What are the priortiy values on the primary and secondary
(default is priority : 1).

Kristina Chodorow

Nov 5, 2010, 10:18:03 AM11/5/10
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
If you only have two nodes, you can't take one down and still have a master. The system has 2 votes (on for each member), so a member needs 2 votes to become and stay master.  if you take down 2-2, 2-1 demotes itself because it only has 1 vote.

If you want it to stay master when 2-2 goes down, consider adding an arbiter.

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Luke Ehresman <lu...@ehresman.org> wrote:
I haven't changed the default priority, so it's 1 for all replicas.

No, no arbiter.

Why would a vote need to occur though?  I would think that the master would stay the master, regardless of the status of the secondary replicas.

Thanks for your help,
Luke

Luke Ehresman
lu...@ehresman.org
Tebros Systems, LLC - http://tebros.com

Luke Ehresman

Nov 5, 2010, 10:48:07 AM11/5/10
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kristina,  adding an arbiter solved the problem.

Markus Gattol

Nov 5, 2010, 11:10:38 AM11/5/10
to mongodb-user
Luke, I compiled a FAQ item about when you would want an arbiter which
might be of interest:
http://www.markus-gattol.name/ws/mongodb.html#do_i_need_an_arbiter

Luke Ehresman