Consistency in command line arguments

Justin Dearing

Jul 6, 2010, 8:33:38 PM7/6/10
to mongodb-dev
Hi,

To be consistent in your naming conventions for command line arguments (all lowercase no dash or underscore) I suggest the following:

("bind_ip", po::value<string>(&bind_ip),
         "comma separated list of ip addresses to listen on - all local ips by default")

We should add an option called bindip that does the same thing, deprecate with a warning and remove in 2.0 (so it remains deprecated for 2 versions)

        ("serviceName", po::value<string>(), "windows service name")
        ("serviceUser", po::value<string>(), "user name service executes as")
        ("servicePassword", po::value<string>(), "password used to authenticate serviceUser")

Since these are new in 1.6, don't affect server operation (only servvice installation and removal) I say make them all lower case before the release candidate, and make a note in the release notee.

Dwight/Eliot,

If you have no objections I'll make the ticket and patch this week.

Justin

Mathias Stearn

Jul 6, 2010, 8:48:39 PM7/6/10
to mongo...@googlegroups.com
If we want to do something like that, it might be better to make it
ignore case and possible '_' since no two options should differ by
just case or '_'.

Eliot Horowitz

Jul 6, 2010, 9:08:41 PM7/6/10
to mongo...@googlegroups.com
The convention we're moving towards is camelcase for all options/commands.
So you can patch to that.

We're going to support the old options until 1.8 though, so need to
make sure those work

Dwight Merriman

Jul 8, 2010, 10:24:03 PM7/8/10
to mongo...@googlegroups.com