sorry but

Kostya

Mar 20, 2010, 1:06:13 PM3/20/10
to mongodb-csharp
BEST DRIVERS for MongoDB lives here http://daniel.wertheim.se/ )))
I've got tired trying to work with mongodb-csharp and found
http://code.google.com/p/simple-mongodb/ .... that was all you will
ever need...

craiggwilson

Mar 20, 2010, 4:30:56 PM3/20/10
to mongodb-csharp
Hi Kostya,
We are glad you found something that works for you. Many of us are
not able to move to .NET 4.0 yet and as such cannot use that library.
We are writing a general library for everyone. The features you are
needing now are being developed. Sorry they were not available.

That being said, there are a number of people who are working hard
on this library and I find it extremely rude to post this here. I'm
sure we are not so arrogant to think we can solve all the world's
problems and are very aware of the other drivers around. Why not give
suggestions or things you wish to see in the driver that could help
you out in the future instead?

On Mar 20, 12:06 pm, Kostya <kostya.screa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> BEST DRIVERS for MongoDB lives herehttp://daniel.wertheim.se/)))

> I've got tired trying to work with mongodb-csharp and foundhttp://code.google.com/p/simple-mongodb/.... that was all you will
> ever need...

Sam Corder

Mar 20, 2010, 6:27:25 PM3/20/10
to mongodb...@googlegroups.com
Daniel is a pretty smart guy and has some good ideas.  If his driver works better for you then go for it.  Do be aware that his driver uses the BSON serialization code in JSON.net which will be a little slower and I believe doesn't handle all of BSON quite right.  One thing I know is that it has a bug in the reader that you'll see if you use a lot of multi-byte unicode characters.  It shouldn't happen too often.  It only happens when a character is split across the 128 byte buffer it uses to read strings in.  I've emailed the JSON.net guys and let them know so I'm sure it will get fixed at some point.

If later you decide to come back to mongodb-csharp feel free to post any questions you have or if you want to make a contribution to get it to work the way you want that will be welcome too.

-Sam

> ever need...

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to mongodb-csharp+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

Kostya

Mar 21, 2010, 8:29:08 AM3/21/10
to mongodb-csharp
Ok, that was arrogant, I'm sorry ,but I was very surprised when that
driver understood JSON attributes that I'm using to serialize data.
Maybe the biggest problem I see in mongodb-csharp is that keys could
be only of string type . And you are right about .net 4.0 and dynamic
types make system work slower, I'm working with C# to make a prototype
and then I think I'll move to C++ or Erlang, because with Silverlight
middleware becomes very thin and that should be easy to rewrite.

craiggwilson

Mar 21, 2010, 8:44:05 AM3/21/10
to mongodb-csharp
Daniel's driver understood your Json.NET attributes because he is
using Json.NET as his serializer.

Regarding keys, Json only allows keys of type string. There isn't an
alternative. I'd be surprised if you found any driver that supports
keys other than strings. If they do, I assure you that if you look at
the storage behind it (like mongodb or couchdb), you'll still find
they have converted your keys to a string.

Kostya

Mar 21, 2010, 8:55:22 AM3/21/10
to mongodb-csharp
That was my mistake

Ken Egozi

Mar 20, 2010, 1:50:44 PM3/20/10
to mongodb...@googlegroups.com
I'm not a comitter here ( a couple of pull requests does not count) but as a person with years of contributing to various OSS projects, and following many OSS mailing lists, I must admit that this is one of the weirdest messages ever.

Now I must admit that having 3 (that I know of) separate c# clients is not the most productive thing, telling the good people that had put a lot of effort in this project, and did let you use it for your needs free of charge, and have tried to help you on this list, that kind of message. is simply rude.
In a free world, you may choose the stuff that works for you best. Just dont go about insulting people that do not deserve it.  hell, personally I wouldn't  even insult people who *do* deserve it, and Im not considered to be a very polite person.

--
Ken Egozi.
http://www.kenegozi.com/blog

Daniel Wertheim

Apr 8, 2010, 6:24:49 PM4/8/10
to mongodb-csharp
So. I just found this thread and it has never been my intents of
putting Samus's driver in a negative light. The reason for why I
started with my own driver was because it was fun and I wanted an API
that wasn't coupled to a Document. I think it's great that you have
started on this feature as well and of course, your driver is more
mature in the sence of features and I guess you have more momentum as
you are a bigger team. I'm just one, but again: I'm doing it for
fun. What goes for Newtonsofts performance: he's constantly updating
his driver and it'a quite easy to contribute. He recently posted that
he had made changed to the BSON driver, so.... About the anonymous
types: you don't have to use them. You just can. As well as JSON or
static C# classes or a key-value based dictionary.

Again, I think you are doing a great work with your driver. Keep up
the good work!

Regards
Daniel Wertheim