Casbah support for Scala 2.8.0 EOL, please migrate to 2.8.1 ASAP

Brendan W. McAdams

May 13, 2011, 2:00:42 PM5/13/11
to mongodb-ca...@googlegroups.com, mongod...@googlegroups.com
The TL;DR Version: Casbah 2.1.2 is now officially the last build of Casbah 10gen will publish for Scala 2.8.0.  Any *bugfixes* needed for 2.1.2 will be backported for the near future but 2.8.0 users must migrate to 2.8.1 to get new features.

I am, at the urging of a number of users, attempting to publish a build of Casbah for the recently released Scala 2.9.0.

Unfortunately, 2.8.0 is becoming a blocker as far as cross-building goes.  It is preferred to not maintain 3 branches of code (one for each version we support) and ferry patches and features between them all .

Among other things, many of Casbah's dependencies are publishing releases for 2.9.0 that only include a "same version" build for 2.8.1 ... this makes it very difficult to produce a consistent version of this package.  To that end and after speaking to a few users we've decided that we will not publish any future FEATURE releases of Casbah for Scala 2.8.0

That mean that April's release of 2.1.2 will be the last major release published for Scala 2.8.0.  The upcoming release of 2.2 (To add Scala 2.9 support and optional 2.9 features like dynamic support on the DSL & DBObject) will publish only for 2.8.1 and 2.9.0+.  2.2 will be a smaller release than previously considered mostly to make room for publishing for 2.9 without infecting the 2.1.x series with new feature code.

By "Feature" release I mean anything that adds functionality.  Bug fixes will be backported as appropriate to the 2.1 series for 2.8.0 users.

Overall there was a tremendous amount of bugfixes made in Scala 2.8.1, and I'd urge any of you still on 2.8.0 to upgrade as soon as you can.

If you have any specific concerns about this change, or questions/concerns please let me know.  The reality of this is that you are going to need to upgrade Scala to take advantage of any new features in Casbah including support for the next MongoDB major release.

-b