Re: No street names

Christian Vetter

Jul 30, 2011, 4:54:18 AM7/30/11
to Benjamin Cahill, MoNav
Hi,

The current vector renderer plugin does not render street names yet (
it is planned to implement this feature, though ).

In the meantime, you can use the online renderer plugin, which fetches
OpenStreetMap tiles directly from the tile server.

Best regards,

Christian Vetter

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 4:35 AM, Benjamin Cahill <bendc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This software is really awesome speed-wise, has a very intuitive
> interface, and quality rendering.
>
> I can't seem to get street names to show up, however. I've using the
> Hamburg and US-Pacific maps from http://monav.openstreetmap.de/, and
> I'm from the US (I just wanted to test it out :-P).
>
> There seem to be regional/city names, but no names on streets.
>
> I've tried on Arch Linux x86_64 and Windows XP, and both exhibit this
> issue.
>
> Any ideas why this is the case, or was it designed like this?
>
> Thanks,
>  - Benj Cahill

Benjamin Cahill

Jul 29, 2011, 10:35:43 PM7/29/11
to MoNav

Benjamin Cahill

Jul 30, 2011, 9:36:16 AM7/30/11
to MoNav
I see. The online renderer is quite useless to me, since if I'm
online, I'll probably just use Google Maps.

Do you have any idea when this might be implemented?

Thanks,
- Benj

On Jul 30, 3:54 am, Christian Vetter <veaac.fdi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The current vector renderer plugin does not render street names yet (
> it is planned to implement this feature, though ).
>
> In the meantime, you can use the online renderer plugin, which fetches
> OpenStreetMap tiles directly from the tile server.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Christian Vetter
>

> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 4:35 AM, Benjamin Cahill <bendcah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > This software is really awesome speed-wise, has a very intuitive
> > interface, and quality rendering.
>
> > I can't seem to get street names to show up, however. I've using the
> > Hamburg and US-Pacific maps fromhttp://monav.openstreetmap.de/, and

James Hollingshead

Jul 30, 2011, 4:38:59 PM7/30/11
to Benjamin Cahill, MoNav
I actually have some working code for rendering street names. It's not perfect (doesn't cope well with bendy streets, and will fail with Hebrew/Arabic).

It needs a change to the database format, and I made the mistake of trying to implement other changes at the same time, getting my local copy of the code in a,bit of a mess. Since then I've been too busy with the day job to do anything with MoNav! Am hoping to sort it out and catch up on the mailing lists in the next few weeks.

James

Sent from my mobile

Benjamin Cahill

Jul 30, 2011, 4:47:44 PM7/30/11
to James Hollingshead, MoNav
Sounds awesome! I can't wait to see what develops. :-)

- Benj

Benjamin Cahill

May 24, 2012, 12:02:44 PM5/24/12
to James Hollingshead, MoNav
I haven't checked out Monav in a while, but I see you implemented this quite a while ago. Awesome! The pre-made maps don't work with the latest Monav, but the preprocessor GUI worked nicely. :)

It's awesome having street names, and now Monav is quite useful to me...although there are a couple of things that could be improved:

1. Sometimes a street name isn't there, and I have to follow the street to find its name
2. Of course, street names, especially large ones, at low zoom levels, and things like borders to enhance readability. This is a great read on the subject (the original website is down, so I linked to web.archive.org)
3. This may only apply in the U.S., but here many roads have multiple names, e.g. I-20 and 485, or US-80 and Mayhem Rd., or even two street names like Wayward Rd. and Langley St. (these are all made up, but streets like this are very common) I don't know what would be the best way to show this, and this may be for OSM and not ya'll, I don't know.

Anyway, this software is very nice; it will be very nice to have a map on linux in the car now :)

Thanks!
 - Benj