Number of streets belonging to a town -> displayed behind the town name in search results

Stephan75

Aug 2, 2011, 12:07:19 PM8/2/11
to MoNav-dev
Hi,
in these days I am busy with a kind of "quality evaluation" of all
available routing and navigation solutions based on OSM data.

So MoNav is working quite well so far, but with test data of Germany
there are still some streets that are not found if you enter a postal
address.

My aim is to figure out whether all that issues are based on
incomplete raw OSM data or the way each navigation app is dealing with
it and process raw data to generate map data.

(in german language there is a brainstorming site about this and a
table with test cases at:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Adresseingabe_f%C3%BCr_Navigationsprogramme
)

One thing for this aim would be very helpful:
to know how many streets are associated to each place. So you can
estimate whether all streets with a name from the raw OSM data are
also available inside Monav.

Is it possible to count all streets to each place and display that
number as an appendix to the place's name?

Example:
Hamburg (6843)
Buxtehude (307)
Oldendorf (29)

Greets, Stephan

PS: I will ask the same to the developers of Mapfactor Navigator free
ans of OsmAnd

Christian Vetter

Aug 4, 2011, 9:36:58 AM8/4/11
to mona...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Stephan75
<der.steph...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> So MoNav is working quite well so far, but with test data of Germany
> there are still some streets that are not found if you enter a postal
> address.

That is to be expected, since we currently use the heuristics from
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing

As soon as the Karlsruhe Schema is widely supported we intend to
switch to that instead.

> My aim is to figure out whether all that  issues are based on
> incomplete raw OSM data or the way each navigation app is dealing with
> it and process raw data to generate map data.

> One thing for this aim would be very helpful:

> to know how many streets are associated to each place. So you can
> estimate whether all streets with a name from the raw OSM data are
> also available inside Monav.
>
> Is it possible to count all streets to each place and display that
> number as an appendix to the place's name?

Yes, that could easily be done. Do you also need additional data, like
for each city the list of associated streets?

Regards,

Christian Vetter

Stephan75

Aug 4, 2011, 11:55:39 AM8/4/11
to MoNav-dev

On 4 Aug., 15:36, Christian Vetter <veaac.fdi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > My aim is to figure out whether all that  issues are based on
> > incomplete raw OSM data or the way each navigation app is dealing with
> > it and process raw data to generate map data.
> > One thing for this aim would be very helpful:
> > to know how many streets are associated to each place. So you can
> > estimate whether all streets with a name from the raw OSM data are
> > also available inside Monav.
>
> > Is it possible to count all streets to each place and display that
> > number as an appendix to the place's name?
>
> Yes, that could easily be done. Do you also need additional data, like
> for each city the list of associated streets?

Oh, that would be great! Lists of associated streets will really help
me (and maybe others) to investigate issues when addresses are not
found by MoNav. If you can even include an export feature so that
these lists is available as txt or CSV file, my dreams come true :-)

Thanx, Stephan

PS: it is even quite interesting to know how Monav is creating its
list of all places and all associated streets. Maybe I will collect
these infos and compare that with the other navi apps ...