FW: News

Jack

Jun 1, 2010, 4:13:08 AM6/1/10
to molecular-...@googlegroups.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Hervé This [mailto:herve...@paris.inra.fr]
Sent: 01 June 2010 6:54 AM
To: destinataires inconnus:
Subject: News

Dear Friends

I shall now use the blog : http://gastronomie-moleculaire.blogspot.com/
in order to make various announcements. I invite you to be a member of
this blog.

kind regards

Hervé

--
PS1. Ne manquons pas la Leçon de cloture de Jean-Marie Lehn au Collège de
France, le 4 juin à 14.00

Hervé This

Physico-chimiste INRA
Directeur scientifique de la Fondation Science& Culture Alimentaire
(Académie des sciences)
Président du Comité Pédagogique de l'Institut des Hautes Etudes du Gout

Groupe de Gastronomie moléculaire
Laboratoire de chimie analytique, AgroParisTech

UMR 1145 Ingénierie Procédés Aliment GENIAL INRA/Institut des sciences et
industries du vivant et de l'environnement (AgroParisTech)
16 rue Claude Bernard
75005 Paris
tel : +33 1 44 08 72 90
Courriel : herve...@paris.inra.fr

Un site avec une montagne d'informations sur la gastronomie moléculaire :
http://sites.google.com/site/travauxdehervethis/
Un blog personnel : http://hervethis.blogspot.com/
Un blog consacré à la gastronomie moléculaire, avec moins de points de vue
personnels : http://gastronomie-moleculaire.blogspot.com/
Le site du Laboratoire de chimie d'AgroParisTech, avec des informations
complémentaires : http://www.agroparistech.fr/-UFR-Chimie-analytique-.html

Les Cours 2009 de gastronomie moléculaire sont en ligne sur :
http://podcast.agroparistech.fr/users/gastronomiemoleculaire/

Nathan Myhrvold

Aug 7, 2010, 12:17:02 PM8/7/10
to molecular-...@googlegroups.com
As many of you know, for the last three years I have been working as part of a team writing an ambitious new book called "Modernist Cuisine, the art and science of cooking".

The goal of the book is to cover both the techniques of recent innovations in cooking, as well as the science behind them. We cover microbiology, food safety and the physics of heat and water at a level that helps explain how techniques like sous vide really work.

It is a big project - about 2400 pages in a six-volume set.

The book is scheduled for shipping in December of this year, but today the web site is up as of today http://modernistcuisine.com/

Even if you are not interested in the book, the web site has some nice pictures, and over time we will add more content. The web site is work in progress, so it will improve and add features over time.

The Table of Contents http://modernistcuisine.com/about-modernist-cuisine/table-of-contents/ gives a good idea of what is covered in the book.

Nathan

This message and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient of the message by the original sender, please destroy it.   Message and attachments copyright © 2010, all rights reserved.  Any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly forbidden

Marc Nicholas

Aug 7, 2010, 9:03:37 PM8/7/10
to molecular-...@googlegroups.com
Nathan,

Wonderful photos!

Any idea as to pricing for the set?

Thx.

-marc

Nathan Myhrvold

Aug 7, 2010, 10:28:14 PM8/7/10
to molecular-...@googlegroups.com
The list price in the US is $625. Amazon is currently offering it for $421 for preorder. I don't know whether they will continue that pricing in the future.

We will have distribution in other countries as well - both on amazon and via stores. That is in process.
Nathan

Aug 8, 2010, 12:41:03 AM8/8/10
to molecular-...@googlegroups.com

Eventually we would like to have an electronic edition, but right now getting this one is all we can handle.  So I would guess it is more than year away.

Nathan

This message and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient of the message by the original sender, please destroy it.   Message and attachments copyright © 2010, all rights reserved.  Any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly forbidden

marcel vigneron

Aug 8, 2010, 4:30:49 AM8/8/10
to molecular-...@googlegroups.com
Nathan~

Thank you for putting together such a wealth of modern culinary knowledge and for the pre-order discount!!!
I cant wait to lay all five "Behemoths" on the table and dive into them headfirst...
Defiantly on the Christmas wish list!!!

Marcel Vigneron
marcelv...@hotmail.com

From: david.b...@gmail.com
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 20:57:57 -0700

Christian Irabien

Aug 8, 2010, 11:54:31 AM8/8/10
to molecular-...@googlegroups.com
I'm definitely excited about this collection. The photoraphy looks incredible and the website is coming together nicely!  Thanks for the heads up on the pre-order.
Finishing up my culinary degree soon and hoping to get a lot of use out of these once I'm able to stick myself in a solid kitchen!

-Christian Irabien
hrrp://growingupeating.blogspot.com
Washington, DC

Michael O'Boyle

Aug 8, 2010, 1:13:12 PM8/8/10
to molecular-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for all this work , I am looking forward to this as well and would like to see an electronic edition in the near future if possible.

Michael O'Boyle

Alejandro Trambauer

Aug 8, 2010, 6:12:22 PM8/8/10
to molecular-...@googlegroups.com
Congrats on your book Nathan!
I see you're getting good press:
http://gawker.com/5607494/this-is-a-625-cookbook
I guess i'll have to wait for the ebook version.. cook's paychecks aren't that good nowadays...

Harald A. Mossle

Aug 8, 2010, 6:41:45 PM8/8/10
to molecular-...@googlegroups.com

Congratulation on your book,

Living in the Dominican Republic I would as Michael like an electronic edition.

It’s good to see how hard u guys are working.

Harald A. Mossle

Chef propietario

Restaurante Aubergine

www.aubergine.com.do

Tel. 809-374-1382 o 809-729-9364

lo importante no es llegar, lo que importa es el camino para llegar.