future Mojo::Server::FastCGI

Tobias Oetiker

Sep 26, 2011, 5:16:43 PM9/26/11
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

As announced by Sebastian, Mojo::Server::FastCGI is gone from
Mojolicious-1.98 ... thus removing the prime deployment option for
mojolicious in shared hosting environments ... and thus also
removing this option for all the tools built upon Mojolicious.

Today I got the first complaints from a user of remOcular (an
OpenSource tool I published, relying on mojolicious) who suddenly
finds that he can not deploy anymore with the current version.

The Mojolicious changelog sais that the removal was to free the
namespace for a standalone release of Mojo::Server::FastCGI ... is
there an ETA for this ?

As an author, writing software on top of the Mojolicious framework,
such changes are quite unsettling to me as I find parts of my core
environment to be liquid where I had thought them to be solid and
reliable.

I appreciate the idea of having tests for everyting in mojolicious,
but then again, the tests do not make my software work if features
are removed just to increase the test coverage ...

cheers
tobi
http://it.oetiker.ch to...@oetiker.ch ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

Sebastian Riedel

Sep 26, 2011, 5:49:18 PM9/26/11
to mojol...@googlegroups.com

Shortly after the announcement i've passed PAUSE permissions and responsibility for the code to Arpad Szasz (https://github.com/arpadszasz), i'm afraid you will have to ask him.

As an author, writing software on top of the Mojolicious framework,
such changes are quite unsettling to me as I find parts of my core
environment to be liquid where I had thought them to be solid and
reliable.

I appreciate the idea of having tests for everyting in mojolicious,
but then again, the tests do not make my software work if features
are removed just to increase the test coverage ...

It's not at all about increasing test coverage just for the sake of it, but ensuring a healthy future for Mojolicious as a whole.

Mojo::Server::FastCGI is a rather complicated piece of code with almost no unit tests, which makes fixing bugs pretty much impossible, for me as the responsible maintainer that situation was unacceptable and had to be resolved.
You may not care now, but once something breaks all hell would break loose, just imagine someone discovered a serious security hole...

And don't forget that i proposed an alternative solution first, sadly nobody volunteered to write new unit tests.

sri

Sep 27, 2011, 2:06:49 PM9/27/11
to Mojolicious
Here's the new repository btw.